PDA

View Full Version : Is it expecting too much...

buzzy bee
23-05-2011, 03:02 PM
...for a nearly 3-year-old to remember simple rules?

Things like not hitting, not pushing / pulling little ones, not throwing things, taking shoes off, etc etc

I feel like I'm constantly nagging him, and I wonder if I'm expecting too much of him to remember these things?!

Also he tends to revert when smaller ones are around - doing the things they do such as throwing food on the floor and snatching toys... is this normal?!

jane5
23-05-2011, 03:18 PM
My dd is 3 next month and she understands most instructions perfectly, she dosent always follow them but she does understand what I ask her not to do.

She is exactly the same as yours and I am constantly nagging her as well, I get fed up of saying her name sometimes :o

Sorry I am no help but I would say yes he knows exactly what you are asking of him:rolleyes:

The Juggler
23-05-2011, 04:28 PM
some children just need a lot more reminding than others hon. depends how consistent parents/nursery are with childrne too. Those who have consistency on rules at all settings are more likely to grasp and remember the rules quicker than those who are only following them in one place :(

miffy
23-05-2011, 04:54 PM
He may not have to follow the same rules at home or other places he goes so might need reminding more.

Try only reminding him if it's something serious (like hitting) and praise lots when he does something you want (like remembers to take his shoes off).

Main thing is to be consistent and he'll get there in the end.

Miffy xx

buzzy bee
23-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like maybe it's just normal... I'm not used to this age!

sarah707
23-05-2011, 06:07 PM
The majority of 3 year olds I have cared for including my own have the attention spans of gnats :D

mummyof3
23-05-2011, 06:14 PM
The 3yr olds I look after choose to not understand what I am asking them to do :rolleyes:

They'd understand if I was saying lets go to the shop and buy some chocolate!