PDA

View Full Version : Evaporated Milk

Tealady
23-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Just rejigging my menus and looking to ring the changes abit. For the milk part of my puddings I normally offer Yoghurt and/or Fromage Frais.

I provide a cooked lunch and have added a few different puds and was thinking of doing fruit cocktail jelly with evaporated milk. A bit of a fave from my childhood and they may hate it but thought it might make a change.

People rarely seem to have evaporated milk these days so I was wondering if it has just fallen from grace or if there are "issues" with it?

marnieb
23-05-2011, 01:28 PM
hmmm - I think it's just fallen from grace tbh!!!

but my ds (almost 8) loves it!! especially over any kind of tinned fruit!!! ;)

PixiePetal
23-05-2011, 01:35 PM
It is definitely out of vogue at the moment - never liked it myself but I am of the opinion that a little bit of naughtiness does you no harm :) , if it is ok with parents, it is ok with me! there are worse things :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
23-05-2011, 01:42 PM
tinned peaches and evap....a memory of the 1970s i am glad i dont have to relive...

gip gip gip gip (no vomming icon)

now if you had said condensed milk....oh my word! i loved it when we went to france and lived there for a year...it was in tubes like toothpaste!!

yummmm

(wouldnt give it kids though)

mandy xxx

Zoomie
23-05-2011, 01:46 PM
tinned peaches and evap....a memory of the 1970s i am glad i dont have to relive...

gip gip gip gip (no vomming icon)

now if you had said condensed milk....oh my word! i loved it when we went to france and lived there for a year...it was in tubes like toothpaste!!

yummmm

(wouldnt give it kids though)

mandy xxx

My mum used to sometimes give me condense milk sandwiches :blush: :blush: :blush: :D :D :D

Louise0208
23-05-2011, 02:49 PM
i drink it strait out the can :blush:

Mouse
23-05-2011, 02:53 PM
i drink it strait out the can :blush:

I love evaporated milk, but wouldn't go quite that far :laughing: :laughing:

I have it with jelly, tinned fruit, strawberries, chopped banana etc. I think it's probably a little old fashioned now...but then, so am I :D :ROFL1:

rickysmiths
23-05-2011, 02:58 PM
We love Evaporated milk in this house. I love it on Strawberries with caster sugar. :blush:

I use it in home made rice pudding with milk it adds a lovely rich colour and creamy taste.

Yummy with tinned peaches and on jelly.

boxtree7
23-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I might have to give it ago .... with peaches I think.

littletreasures
23-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm the only one that loves it in this house.

Favourite with peaches x

Playmate
23-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Loved it as a child, had forgotten all about it we don't eat puds in this house except on special occaisions :blush:

miffy
23-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Haven't had either evaporated or condensed milk for ages - I like one but not the other, can't remember which way round now :o

Miffy xx

cherry
23-05-2011, 05:09 PM
This is a favourite of ours

Mandarin Fluff
1 small can of evaporated milk
1 orange jelly
375ml water
4 seedless mandarins, satumas or tangerines.

Melt the jelly with some boiling water then make up to 375ml with cold water
Leave in the fridge for about 20 mins to cool and gel but NOT set
Peel the mandarins and split into segments
Add the condensed milk to the jelly mixture and whisk until light and fluffy
Now add the mandarins segments to the jelly mix, stir gently and leave to set.

Enjoy :)

amanda1309
23-05-2011, 06:05 PM
we love strawberry fluff:)

We love evaporated milk on strawberries and in rice pudding in this house

sweets
23-05-2011, 06:32 PM
ah we used to have it on tinned fruit salad and always used to argue who would get the only cherry in the can :laughing:

Happy Bunny
23-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I remember getting that at school, plus gypsy tart

Adiamond
23-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Mmmmmm evap milk poured over chopped banana sprinkled with sugar....
Yummy yummy x

Mouse
23-05-2011, 07:49 PM
ah we used to have it on tinned fruit salad and always used to argue who would get the only cherry in the can :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That brings back some memories!

Milli147
23-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Bleugh!

Reminds me of camping holidays in the UK as a child, evaporated milk and peaches, plastic bowls, folding chairs, the smell of camping gaz.......actually I'm getting a bit nostalgic now, maybe I'll have to get some :rolleyes: