PDA

View Full Version : How can I explain?

BlondeMoment
22-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone :)

In a few weeks our much loved kitten is booked in to be neutered. I'm told he will have to have cone type dish round his head for a week or so to stop him opening the wound. How do I explain this to the kids?

I can explain the basics about it being there to stop him licking his sore tummy to the two and three year olds but I also have a four, five and six year old that will want to know more and are bound to ask a series of "why?"s :eek:

Obviously at this age they know nothing of birds and bees so I've no idea how to explain it or what to say.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone had this situation before?

Lisa x

Trouble
22-05-2011, 10:10 PM
i would just say its a special hat as he has had to have an operation for his poorly tummy :idea:

poor thing if its like my cat he will hate it:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
22-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Why not say that he has the cone on his head to stop him hurting himself

Twinkles
22-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I might just say to them he's had an operation to make him 'better' that's why the collar etc.

When my own son was 5 or so he found out ( courtesy of his older brothers ) that our male cat had had the op.

He used to greet people at the door saying ' Hello this is Max ( the cat ) he has no balls !!!' :panic:

flowerpots
23-05-2011, 05:18 AM
I might just say to them he's had an operation to make him 'better' that's why the collar etc.

When my own son was 5 or so he found out ( courtesy of his older brothers ) that our male cat had had the op.

He used to greet people at the door saying ' Hello this is Max ( the cat ) he has no balls !!!' :panic:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Hebs
23-05-2011, 05:44 AM
tell the parents and ask them to explain

mushpea
23-05-2011, 06:00 AM
we had our kitten neutred a while ago, he didnt need a cone and was up and out the next day, vet said he could go out the next day, when we had our female done she had a cone for a while but the didnt really ask why,,, I remember saying shes had an operation so she dosent have kittens and the cone is to stop her licking the wound but that was it,

BlondeMoment
23-05-2011, 04:01 PM

:laughing: Love it!

BlondeMoment
23-05-2011, 04:04 PM
lol Thanks for suggestions.
Can't see me getting off very easily as they're bound to want to know why he had an operation or why he has a poorly tummy etc. Will just have to feel my way with it I guess :blush:

singingcactus
23-05-2011, 05:07 PM
My cat wears a collar more often than not. For some reason he is a target round here and is always getting some part of his body ripped open. I always just tell the kids it's to stop him scratching - no need to make a big deal about it unless you want to.
Whenever any of our cats have been neutered we have always just told the kids they've had an op to stop them making or having kittens. Never had either girl or boy cat in a collar for that though lol.
If you want them to know what the op was for then tell them, if you don't want them to know then just tell them it's to stop him scratching. It's no big deal. :)

miffy
23-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Love it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Miffy xx

jellytot
23-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I just said our cats had had an operation to stop them having babies, there were no other questions and it was just accepted.

mummyof3
23-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I just said our cats had had an operation to stop them having babies, there were no other questions and it was just accepted.

That is what I said to my children and mindees :D

My cat hated it and attempted to climb out of the window with it on - keep your windows locked ;)

BlondeMoment
23-05-2011, 06:47 PM

But with our kitty being a little boy I'm probably going to get "boys don't have babies!" :)
I know these kids, they're an intelligent bunch LOL.

Guess at that point I say "ask your parents" :clapping:
I don't wanna be in trouble :rolleyes:

LOOPYLISA
23-05-2011, 06:52 PM
we had our kitten neutred a while ago, he didnt need a cone and was up and out the next day, vet said he could go out the next day, when we had our female done she had a cone for a while but the didnt really ask why,,, I remember saying shes had an operation so she dosent have kittens and the cone is to stop her licking the wound but that was it,

Mine too, he may not need one :thumbsup: a female kitten will have one :thumbsup:

I would be as honest as you can with the kids :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
24-05-2011, 06:39 AM
call me thick, but don't boy cats just have a small incision 'under the tail', I thought it was only girl cats that had the belly cut open???

My cats are girls and they were never given cones, I was just told to keep them indoors. However girl cats are shaved so that could lead to some questions, lol

onceinabluemoon
24-05-2011, 06:41 AM
There's some info about castration here, scroll down a bit for male castration, it may put your mind at rest a little ;)

http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/deciding-if-you-should-neuter-your-cat.php

miffy
24-05-2011, 06:41 AM
I'd just say he'd had an operation - keep it simple and hope they don't ask too many questions! :D

Miffy xx

Louise0208
24-05-2011, 06:54 AM
id tell the truth same as jellytot :)

my males & female never had cones, we were advised if they wouldnt leave it alone then we were to take them back to have cones fitted.

angeldelight
24-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Brilliant :laughing: :laughing:

Our kitten will have the same in a few weeks - I will just tell the children he has had an op etc - very simple, and encourage them to help take care of him

Hope your kitten is ok

Angel xx

BlondeMoment
24-05-2011, 10:28 PM
There's some info about castration here, scroll down a bit for male castration, it may put your mind at rest a little ;)

http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/deciding-if-you-should-neuter-your-cat.php

Thanks so much! This was really helpful.

I've heard that both males and females have to have the cone to let the wound heal properly and stop them interfering with it. Then other people have said that their cat didn't have to so guessing it all depends on the vets or maybe on how much of a big deal the op was. Last time we were at the vet for injections the nurse told me that only one of his testicles had dropped so his op may be a little more complicated.

Bless him. First cat I've ever owned so a bit nervous about it all TBH. The kids adore chasing him around (as much as he loves it) and I'm hoping they'll leave him alone and be kind.