PDA

View Full Version : parents and toddlers group

TRACEY1969
22-05-2011, 11:01 AM
my friend and i are both got NVQ3 and both attend a parents and toddlers group on Tuesday. We have both been approached to run the group because not many parents are attending. It is all set up in a church parents stay and play but it needs something else,not just toys. We are going to ask for some musical instruments and paper and crayons so we can get parents interacting with the children. All monies go to the church not us. What would you do to bring new parents in besides advertising as we are just in the middle of that.

Ripeberry
22-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Problem with groups is that the parents just want to chat! The parents that play with the kids are the 'Billy no mates" or so it seems :(

As a parent (when my kids were young) I loved going to the playgroup so that I could meet my friends and have some adult chat.

Now if there was a playgroup where the parents and the kids were in the same room, but there were some 'volunteers' to play with the kids then that might make people come along.

Yes, it does sound sad, but generally that is what goes on at playgroups, when I go now as a CM, I play with my mindees and I get a load of other peoples children following me around like the Pied Pipper as I get on the floor and interact.

So a 'creche' type play area and a chatting area for parents.

I'm sure others will have other ideas :thumbsup:

loocyloo
22-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Problem with groups is that the parents just want to chat! The parents that play with the kids are the 'Billy no mates" or so it seems :(

As a parent (when my kids were young) I loved going to the playgroup so that I could meet my friends and have some adult chat.

Now if there was a playgroup where the parents and the kids were in the same room, but there were some 'volunteers' to play with the kids then that might make people come along.

Yes, it does sound sad, but generally that is what goes on at playgroups, when I go now as a CM, I play with my mindees and I get a load of other peoples children following me around like the Pied Pipper as I get on the floor and interact.

So a 'creche' type play area and a chatting area for parents.

I'm sure others will have other ideas :thumbsup:

i used to run a toddler group with a friend, we used to have a craft table with a free activity on it, such as paint, glue, crayons etc. sometimes a structured activity with a 'finished product'. we always had an adult sat at the table to do the activity with the children, sometimes it was one of us, or sometimes with was one of the volunteers who came in to help with teas!

another activity is someone to lead a storytime and song time. the hardest bit is getting the other adults to hush enough so the children can hear !!! :rolleyes:

pinkbutterfly
22-05-2011, 03:51 PM
The best group I go to has three activities going on at the same time. There is a table with poster paints and paper, play doh and another themed activity. Only the themed activity changes every time the play doh and paints are always there. Also they have a snack bar for the children available at all times. Healthy snacks (melon, pineapple, bananas, clementines, raisins, cheddar biscuits and rich tea buiscuits etc). It is a church group and there are no other people designated to interact with the children. There is no set fee and any donations are voluntary. The group is very very popular.

Alibali
22-05-2011, 05:18 PM
If it's in the church could you use any church connections to support you? At our Church toddlers we have 'surrogate grannies' come along, they play with/chat to the lo's while the Mummies chat, we also have a rota for the church helpers to prepare and serve snack so the new Mummies get a rest. It's very important for first time Mums to get a chance to meet some new people and chat to someone going through the same traumas:) Everyone that comes to our group say it is the best one they know of. One of us (either me or another church member) tells the story at the end and then do the sing song. We also set up and clear up so it really is nice and relaxing for the Mums:D