PDA

View Full Version : Impetigo...what do I do?

casey's mum
29-04-2008, 12:46 PM
OMG, it never rains but pours! My Dad was rushed to hospital yesterday as he went to docs and his heart beat was eratic and the thought he was going to have a heart attack! After having tests he was sent home with very strong antibiotics as he actually has pnuemonia!

DH took DD to docs today as she has what we thought was a coldsore and pharmasist said as she only 7 she needed to be seen by gp. Turns out she has inpetigo due to having a cold and a dry spot on mouth the germs from cough have made her develope it!!
Now I know this is highly contagious but can I carry on minding untill it has cleared up? My DD will be in a totally seperate room as my minding room is away from lounge. Obviously I will inform parents but can I give them a choice or do I have to withdraw service untill it has cleared up??

Soz bit of a long one but I am just frazzled! Last couple of weeks there seems to have been something all the time!

Angela xx

crazybones
29-04-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

This may help.:D

hannahsstar
29-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi, you sound very harrassed - poor you!

I don't know that the 'official' people say about impetigo, but I personally would withdraw care until it has cleared up. It is VERY contagious and personally I wouldn't like to risk it!

Hope she is better soon, take care

Jae

deeb66
29-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I am sorry but I agree

In the circumstances I would withdraw my service.

Although you daughter will be in a different room Impetigo is highly contagious and can be easily transferred from person to person.

If it was something like chicken pox then I would say give the parent the choice as their children have already been exposed to it iyswim.

BUT with this disease it is now that is the infectious period so I really think that you should tell the parents that you are unable to have their children until cleared up.

Sorry....I know that is not what you wanted to hear :(

casey's mum
29-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks ladies....could do with a couple of days off the way the last week or so has been....just nice to have another opinion.

Angela xx

susi513
29-04-2008, 01:26 PM
It is very contagious but whenever I've come across it the infected children have been perfectly fine behaviour wise/able to join in and play unlike many infections that leave children needing rest & comfort. Complications are apparently rare.

If your child has been given antibiotics then you should be okay to re-open after 48 hours. One of my mindees had this recently and with antibiotics the sores were almost invisible in just over a day (saw him in the playground, I did exclude him!).

Otherwise its advisable to wait until any weaping sores are crusted over.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=209&sectionId=9

sarah707
29-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I would not mind a child with impetigo... if one of mine had the condition, I would (and have in the past) close :D

Alibali
29-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I had a little one with this a few weeks back and I would not accept him into care as it is so highly infectious, therefore I suppose it should work the other way round i.e. you withdrawing service. It'll give you plenty time for all the cleaning you'll have to do! 48 hours after antibiotics and you should be fine. Is there a Gran or aunt that could mind your own lo to allow you to work, as I assume she isn't actually unwell.

I asked on the forum about this at the time and got some great advice too.

Ali x

casey's mum
30-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Have closed and am busy cleaning and disinfecting everything! Such much for a couple of days off! lol Doctor gave my DD both oral and cream antibiotics and it nearly dissapeared already! Hope to be back in business Friday!

Is there a Gran or aunt that could mind your own lo to allow you to work,

Unfortunatly not as there is only my Mum and with my Dad being very poorly him contracting the impetigo just is not a risk worth taking. Good idea though!

Thanks everyone!

Angela xx