PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox incubation period?

CJ Thorn
21-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can confirm how long a child should be kept at home when suffering from chicken pox?
I have one mindee who has them,he came out in the spots last Tuesday night,and when i last spoke to mum yest they were still appearing,he is next booked in for Tuesday so i really want clarification...
Thanks guys.xx

Louise0208
21-05-2011, 12:06 PM
i think its until the last spot has crusted over :)

though he would of been contagious for up to 2 weeks before so if he has been with any other mindees then best tell the parents to keep a look out :thumbsup:

CJ Thorn
21-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Louise,
I said to mum it was until the last spot has crusted,i also mind his younger sibling,so she may have the whole thing over again...its doing the rounds here,and i also mind other children from the nursery he attends,so like you say its contagious in the 2 weeks before the spots appear,so vicious circle...and also i havent had them!!!! :panic: :panic:

Ali56
21-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Chicken pox is incubated for 10-14 days, children are contagious only for 1 day before the spots come out and until they are crusted over. DD is immuno-compromised so the incubation/infectious period comes straight from the important people that know!! However I have heard people saying recently that they may only be infectious for 5 days after the spots come out. I don't know if thats true or not, so without more research I'm sticking with the crusted overs!! Hope your mindee is feeling better soon :)

auntym
21-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Chicken pox take between 10 and 21 days from contact to the spots appearing, if no spots have appeared after 21 days from contact then they say that its not been contracted.
The child is at the most contagious afew days before spots appear until the last spots crusted over, that can take over a week from the first spots appearing.
hth xx

CJ Thorn
21-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone,i think i will stick with the crusting over theory lol...will be a shame if mindee comes back and mum goes back to work and then baby brother gets its...
XX

christine e
21-05-2011, 02:14 PM
It is my understanding that you should isolate for at least 5 days after first spot but until all spots have scabbed so if after 5 days some spots still not scabbed then wait until they have

Cx

tulip0803
21-05-2011, 09:32 PM
It is my understanding that you should isolate for at least 5 days after first spot but until all spots have scabbed so if after 5 days some spots still not scabbed then wait until they have

Cx

That's my understanding too

Baildon bears
21-05-2011, 09:43 PM
My school policy is 5 days from onset of rash, but it depends on how they are with it, my youngest son had it quite mild compared to his brother, my eldest was off school for 2 weeks as he was really poorly with it.

singlewiththree
22-05-2011, 08:15 AM
My school policy is 5 days from onset of rash, but it depends on how they are with it, my youngest son had it quite mild compared to his brother, my eldest was off school for 2 weeks as he was really poorly with it.

I had the same with all my DD's contracting it off close relatives who they had spent a lot of time with and resulting in 2 weeks off school/nursery due to being so ill.