PDA

View Full Version : Do you provide calpol?

Maza
20-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi there, this is my first thread, so no idea if it's in the correct place! Do the children have to provide their own calpol or can we keep a bottle to give as needed? Thanks!

rose hol
20-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I have been told from one of my friends who have had their inspection that if the medicain has a prescription from a doctor its fine, otherwise its a no! Maybe just tell this to the inspector, but have your own arrangments with the parents of the child. Good luck. x:)

miffy
20-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I would ask parents to provide it clearly labelled with their child's name.

There is an Ofsted fact sheet about giving medicines here

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Giving-medication-to-children-in-registered-childcare

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
20-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I would ask parents to provide it clearly labelled with their child's name.

There is an Ofsted fact sheet about giving medicines here

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Giving-medication-to-children-in-registered-childcare

Miffy xx

Yep I ask parents to provide it too and labelled :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Donkey
21-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a permission form from parents which have been signed giving permission for a

paracetamol suspension 120mg/5ml to be given, I dont have the storage capacity to have up to 8 bottles of calpol and then 8 bottles of ibuprofen on the shelf in my high up cupboard.

the guidance says...

The legal guidance allows you to give over-the-counter medication such as pain and fever relief or teething gel. However, you must get written permission beforehand from parents. And, you must follow the same recording procedures as those for prescribed medication.

I record it in my ncma medicine log as well has having signed consent before hand. I give parents a call before hand to say x has developed a temperature can I give....

so I have one bottle and it gets shared as and when!!!

AliceK
21-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I always have Calpol and Ibuprofen here because of my own 2 children so IF a child needed it I would get parental permission first and then give it using my own bottles. I record it on the medication form with times, dosage etc and I also write on there the batch number and expiry date too. It's only been rarely that I have had to give any though.

xxxx

loocyloo
21-05-2011, 08:04 PM
ask all parents to supply a few sachets of childrens paracetamol & ibuprofen, as my children are getting older and i don't have 'baby' medicine!

each parents names the sachet, and signs it! i keep each childs sachets in an envelope along with a spoon and then each envelope is kept in a plastic tub in the cupboard! i very rarely use it though.

i have signed permission to give it, and if parents know they need it in the morning they tell me/sign the book, or if they need it during the day i phone parents before i give it to them!

as regards teething gel etc i ask parents to send that as required!

singlewiththree
21-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I provide the calpol as I never have to use it and it would probably have to go in the bin from being out of date by the time I did. PLUS I have lots of part timers so would have loads of it about the place.

I just sign it in my medication book and get them to sign. I always ring and txt if I need to give it just to check and I also write in their daily diary.

snufflepuff
21-05-2011, 08:37 PM
ask all parents to supply a few sachets of childrens paracetamol & ibuprofen, as my children are getting older and i don't have 'baby' medicine!

each parents names the sachet, and signs it! i keep each childs sachets in an envelope along with a spoon and then each envelope is kept in a plastic tub in the cupboard! i very rarely use it though.

This is a really good idea! I think I might suggest it to parents. So far if I have had to give paracetamol i've had to use my own (with permission first of course)- something i'd personally rather not do. I'd much prefer parents to provide it.

JazzyL
21-05-2011, 08:50 PM
the sachets in envelopes is a great idea, think i will be doing that also. thanks for sharing :)