PDA

View Full Version : TV & Music

handeme
20-05-2011, 01:39 PM
What are the rules on having the TV on and background music?

I tend to have nothing on all morning and then after lunch I put the TV on for 1 hour and then in the afternoon we have radio and nursery rhymes on.

Is think OK?

c x

Pixie dust
20-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't have the tv on at all. We sometimes have a nursery song cd on but for only a short time.

I don't have any background music. I have been involved in some early communication and interaction training and its been proven how background noise like music/radio can effect children and their concentration.

pinky33
20-05-2011, 02:57 PM
We have tv for 20 min per day! Either before breakfast, before lunch or after tea.
Don't want them to expect it at a certain time so mix it up.

We have music on at various times of days also, tbh if we took notice of every bit of research then kids lives would be pretty boring, I have been in childcare 17 yrs and never seen music or a little tv have a negative impact on a Childs concentration.

Pixie dust
20-05-2011, 03:23 PM
We have music on at various times of days also, tbh if we took notice of every bit of research then kids lives would be pretty boring, I have been in childcare 17 yrs and never seen music or a little tv have a negative impact on a Childs concentration

I agree a little bit does no harm it's when the tv is on for no other reason than background noise.

I too have been in childcare for a long time but there is always things to learn and I have been involved in my local EACT pilot and sorry to say it's not just another piece of useless research.

handeme
20-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I dont have the TV on as moving wallpaper during the day. I put it on generally for 30-60 minutes after lunch and thats it.

I do have music on in an afternoon, its bits off all sorts, nursery rhymes, radio etc.

What do OFSTED think about the TV and music?

c x

BlondeMoment
20-05-2011, 04:09 PM
My TV goes on for roughly an hour after lunch so the elder ones can have some quiet time or a rest while the little ones sleep. I see no harm in it. I spend all morning stimulating their play or out with them so it's nice for them to chill out for a bit. Gives me a chance to do some paper work and prepare the evening meal.

I have some kids that stay till 7 and 8 because I live by the station and alot of my parents are London commuters which means long hours. So for them, the TV goes on after 6 to just chill out. After 6 is far to late for anything else - they're exhausted.

I have to admit I have the radio on almost constantly when in the kitchen as it gives me some company and some adult voices LOL. I also suffer from tinnitus and it helps it to have some background noise.

In the playroom, sometimes we have music or the radio, and sometimes not.
Balance is the key I believe ;)

singingcactus
20-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I need background noise on. I have very noisy neighbours, usually inappropriate noise, and I have over sensitive hearing, so I control what I have to deal with by having the background noise set at a level I choose that means I can get on with my day.
It is not always TV, not always even children's TV, well, it's always on the TV cos that's my radio too lol, but often it is the blue screen with music or talking on. But I need the steady background noise to stop the torture of external noise, even at night I need to have a constant noise going all the time.
So to answer your question, we always have background noise on.

BuggsieMoo
20-05-2011, 04:41 PM
We have the TV on after dinner to allow dinner to go down whilst all children can sit quietly. This never tends to be for long cos as we all know attention span of younger children is very limited.

As for music, sometimes we have it as a low background noise, sometimes to sing and dance to, sometimes to play instruments to and sometimes not at all.

On the other side - we also have quiet time where we read etc.

When I have the baby here, I also have the TV on for my own child as others are not here on said day to keep her quiet! Thats only 40 mins and that's all she gets until after dinner.