PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce - Northampton

Princess Sara
20-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Has anyone started or have information on the Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, preferably in Northampton?

I want to start the course asap, but I don't seem to be getting very far in finding a place to start it, how much I will have to pay and exactly how I will be assessed for it.

Two ladies at the local pre-school are doing their level 3 through Northampton College, they attend the collage one day a week and spend the rest of the time at pre-school or doing assignments etc at home. But will this be the same for me? I think they are finishing the old NVQ 3, not the new level 3 Diploma.

First I rang my DO, that was at the beginning of April, she said they didn't have the full details as it's a new course, beginning of the financial year, only just received confirmation about funding etc, so I've waited. Then she contacted me saying the YMCA would fully fund me if I met certain criteria for the pilot funding for 2 year olds but I don't think I do (my mindee is only 1 and I don't live in a 'deprived' area)... Then she started talking about network childminding, I said ok, but I have to have a level 3 or at least be doing a level 3 for this...

So I've tried searching for places to get started, Northampton College start the course in September. But I'd really like to get it started sooner... and preferably somewhere that NCA will fund me at least partially to do this.

Also waiting for someone from NCA to phone back, but every time they've said that someone will call back they never actually do! Well, once they did, two weeks later!!!

Sorry that turned into quite a rant didn't it?

sfox2003
20-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Speak to the co ordinator on the network. They may let you join without the NVQ if theres no funding for it at the moment.

Lancashire Council have just withdrawn funding for the NVQ in the past few weeks. I can still join my network but I also wish to become accredited & so it is causing me problems too.

Its a very expensive course & I will do it as soon as funding is available. My accreditation may be able to still go ahead on the condition that I meet the inspectors requirements and endevour to do it.

So theres always options. Speak to the co ordinator on the network & hopefully they will give you lots of support & advise.

Good Luck

Princess Sara
20-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Received an email from them earlier, and here it is if anyone from Northamptonshire is interested in the level 3 Diploma.

Dear childminder,
Would you like to undertake the new level 3 Diploma in Child Care & Education but have concerns about:
• Cost?
• Going back to training after a long break?
• Having to travel a long way for the supporting workshops?
• Accessing the workshops at suitable times for childminders?
• The level of support you would receive?
NCA are pleased to announce that we are working in partnership with YMCA, a private training provider, and some Children’s Centres to deliver this qualification free of charge, with the supporting workshops at a local Children’s Centre. This means that you will have a peer group to go through the course with and the option to apply to join the network in order to provide funded places for vulnerable 2 year olds from 2013. There is also additional support if you are new to learning and need to build your confidence. We’ve just set dates for information evenings (7pm – 8.30pm) so please contact us if you are interested in attending, just so you can find out more about what’s involved, there’s no obligation to sign up there and then. Please register your interest by 24th June. Meanwhile, you are welcome to ring me on 01536 711809 or Tina Maltman on 01536 502870 to discuss it further.
Provisional dates:
Kettering 4th July
Corby 7th July
Northampton 12th July
Wellingborough 13th July

Regards,
Elaine Pitteway
Quality Improvement Manager
Northamptonshire Childminding Association
01536 711809

Chell
20-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I went to the information sessions earlier in the year that NCA held to tell us about the course. At that time the only course available meant attending a full day in Northampton once a month. Most of the childminders at the session said it was impossible to attend as we can't not work during the day.

Princess Sara
20-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Hopefully they took that information into account Chelle, and changed the way they do it.

Although, depending on the day, I could manage it as I only work 3 days a week.

I don't want to wait! I want to start now! < I put that in the reply email... Lol, not worded exactly like it though.

Chell
20-05-2011, 08:06 PM
At the last meeting we were told to email if we wanted to register an interest in doin the course. I emailed saying that I wanted to but couldn't attend. The person who emailed (not NCA, think it was the Workforce Development people) more or less said, tough, if you want to do the course then you'll have to!

I think I will attend the Kettering session, I'm sure my daughter's dance show is the night of the COrby session.

Princess Sara
30-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I went on the information evening for this last night and found it very helpful.

It will b a mixture of observational assessments and written/online assignments. Someone will come to my setting every 3 weeks for a couple of hours to complete the observations, (more or less as needed) and there will be information sessions in the evenings (7pm - 9pm) about every month to help with the assignments. They said it should take up to a year to complete. There will also be talk about becoming a network childminder by the end of the course as they would like to set up a workforce ready to accept funding for vulnerable 2 year olds. Although they did say it was our choice and not a requirement.

This is how the YMCA and NCA are organising it, it may be different in different areas.

Chell
30-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I went on the information evening for this last night and found it very helpful.

It will b a mixture of observational assessments and written/online assignments. Someone will come to my setting every 3 weeks for a couple of hours to complete the observations, (more or less as needed) and there will be information sessions in the evenings (7pm - 9pm) about every month to help with the assignments. They said it should take up to a year to complete. There will also be talk about becoming a network childminder by the end of the course as they would like to set up a workforce ready to accept funding for vulnerable 2 year olds. Although they did say it was our choice and not a requirement.

This is how the YMCA and NCA are organising it, it may be different in different areas.

I'm going to the session in Kettering next week. At first I was told I wouldn't get funding as I have two level three qualifications. YMCA said they can fund it. :D

OrlandoBelle
05-07-2011, 03:05 PM
How did you get on Michelle?

I'm waiting for Elaine to call me back as to whether or not YMCA can do a 1-on-1 information meeting with me to discuss everything as I couldn't attend last night. If I haven't heard anything from her by Friday I'll call her back myself. DS's school play is on Thursday so I can't make the corby one either :(