PDA

View Full Version : Happy! (And a fee question)

snufflepuff
20-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Just showed a lovely couple round with their beautiful 2 month old baby. They seemed really happy and it sounded like they would have signed up right there and then! I told them to have a chat/ think and get in touch, I didn't want then to think they had to do it tight away!
They need childcare 3 days a week (sometimes 2 days a week but Mum realises they need to pay for all 3 days anyway) from September when Mum starts uni. The hours will vary- 8.30am-5.30pm when she is in uni, then 7am-4pm or 2pm-8.30pm when she is in work experience.
How would you charge for this? Would you charge 9 hours a day regardless? Or double fees for the late finish?

kindredspirits
20-05-2011, 10:37 AM
personally i'd charge for 9 hours regardless - chances are with such a tiny baby that by the time they collect on a late evening LO will be asleep so its not like you'll be having to work hard.

Bushpig
20-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I would certainly charge more. There go my evenings, any commitments I might have, my husband's time with me... we do have a life post normal contract hours.

So I would have two different fees for them, with the later day fee being more.

mama2three
20-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Id probably stick with a daily rate regardless of which 'shift' she is on. The late night would be balanced out by less hours on those days so still cost the same. Much easier for your accounting and invoicing that way too.

Louise0208
20-05-2011, 11:05 AM
id charge more for the evenings if baby is the only one you look after then. i charge 3.50 an hour & wouldnt want to be earning £3.50 an hour in the evenings...it would have to be worth my while....+ babies exhaust me in evenings :blush: .....epecially if your working all day aswell :o

flowerpots
20-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Id probably stick with a daily rate regardless of which 'shift' she is on. The late night would be balanced out by less hours on those days so still cost the same. Much easier for your accounting and invoicing that way too.

I agree, id do it this way too :D

snufflepuff
20-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Didn't really think of it being a long day- it would be 8am-8.30pm some days. At the moment my longest is 8-5 and that's only one day a week! I'm not too worried about the late finish, my OH will be here to help with putting DS to bed etc most nights. (More worried about the 7am start, i'm not good at mornings!) I suppose it depends how often this will be but until she gets the info from uni (end of July) we won't know.

The Juggler
20-05-2011, 12:38 PM
if she is on placement can't someone else pick up a little earlier hon?

I'd charge the 9 hour min, then add on extra for unsocial hours fees so 9 hours at normal plus extra top up for 0700-0800 and 1800-2030.
:thumbsup:

snufflepuff
20-05-2011, 03:19 PM
if she is on placement can't someone else pick up a little earlier hon?

Yes this is 'earlier', Dad would be picking up, If Mum was picking up it would be 10.30pm instead! Dad will be doing the 7am drop off too as Mum has to be in placement by then, which is about 40 minutes away. Dad must work really long days and it sounded like he had quite a long journey each way too.