PDA

View Full Version : My Butterflies just hatched...

NickyKD
20-05-2011, 09:48 AM
...right in front of my eyes :clapping: We had just come in from the park and went to check on them as i always do and there was one butterfly already there. So i got my camera to take some pics of our first butterfly and just then a crysalis started to shake. Managed to record the whole thing for my after schoolers. It was amazing i have to say although mindee was more interested in playing with the dinosaurs but never mind. I am keeping guard for the others to hatch out now, hopefully one might wait till after 3.30.

mrs robbie williams
20-05-2011, 10:15 AM
mine went into their chrysallis (sp?) last night, how long did you leave them before you put them into the net? great news on yours :clapping: its amazing isnt :)

angeldelight
20-05-2011, 10:34 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would run a mile

I am really scared of them ha

Angel xx

NickyKD
20-05-2011, 11:00 AM
mine went into their chrysallis (sp?) last night, how long did you leave them before you put them into the net? great news on yours :clapping: its amazing isnt :)

I left them for 24 hours before i moved them but it might have been abit early as they all started shaking!! the instruction say to move them once they have harden but not sure how you tell that. I have found the whole thing fasinating, wish i had done things like this as a child.

flowerpots
20-05-2011, 11:55 AM
wow, that sounds amazing, i would love to do things like this with my children and mindees but im really scared of anything that flaps :blush: so cant. xxx

Mrs Pootle
20-05-2011, 12:13 PM
We got caterpillars back in March & so they had become butterfiles by about Easter time. I managed to see 2 of them change into the chrysalis, and two of them hatch out with my own children it was truely amazing. :clapping: I felt thrilled to have witnessed this, it was just a shame it happened at a time when no mindees were present.

The Juggler
20-05-2011, 12:36 PM
oooh how exciting. I have 3 in their cocoons and waiting for the other 2 to catch up. Last year the butterflies hatched on a saturday :( - hoping they'll hang on this year for a weekday

sweets
20-05-2011, 12:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would run a mile

I am really scared of them ha

Angel xx

me too! im scared of butterflies, i think they look really pretty but when they start fluttering in all different directions then im off! :blush:

Helen Dempster
20-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I only received my caterpillars a couple of days ago, can't wait for them to begin the whole process :) I loved doing this last year and the mindees/own ds loved it too, right from the caterpillars, to the release :) Brilliant.

Stew....pid
20-05-2011, 01:26 PM
woooooo rewind a bit, are these something you buy ? if so where from ?
That sounds proper cool and i know my own 5 year old lad would love to see that :)

mama2three
20-05-2011, 01:29 PM
That sounds proper cool and i know my own 5 year old lad would love to see that :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Live-Butterfly-Garden-Kit-Insect-Lore-Perfect-Gift-/370405473099?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item563de2fb4b

the set has everything you need apart from the caterpillars , and theres a voucher inside to order them. Proper Cool !:D

sdean
20-05-2011, 01:30 PM

you order them from Insect Lore. I have ordered mine to come for when I return from my holiday the children are really looking forward to it - we have tadpoles at the moment which are just starting to get their legs.

mumto3
20-05-2011, 01:31 PM
we did this years ago in nursery and the kids loved it, i would love to do this now, butterflies are lovely

where did u get them from and how much?

NickyKD
20-05-2011, 02:55 PM
we did this years ago in nursery and the kids loved it, i would love to do this now, butterflies are lovely

where did u get them from and how much?

I got mine from Amazon and it was around £15 for the set with that you get a voucher for the caterpillars which will cost £2 for them to send them to you.

Milli147
20-05-2011, 04:19 PM
You're so lucky, I've done this twice before and never seen one actually hatch!

Normally I am watching one that looks like it's about to hatch, give up and go to the loo or something and when I get back, it's out!

I move the paper once they're all up there, the shaking thing is fine. If one falls off just leave it on the bottom of the enclosure. I wasn't going to do it this year as we have tadpoles in the playroom, but reading this has got me all excited - I'm off to order some now - just got to find the enclosure, sure I put it somewhere 'safe' :rolleyes:

shell
20-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi

I too have one of these, at the moment my caterpillars are growing. I got mine from the sainsburys active kids vouchers :).

Shell x

Trouble
20-05-2011, 07:37 PM
mine catapillars are getting juicier by the day but i missthem hatching last time i went out for an hour and came back to them all butterflies i was gutted !!!!

going to do night time watch this time im not missing it twice!
:D

rhea26
21-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi, where do you get the tadpoles from? Thanks.

Milli147
21-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I just got mine from the ponds near us. When they were tiny there were millions round the edges, or if you're a bit quicker off the mark just collect the spawn.
Ask friends who have garden ponds to look out for some for you next year, maybe.

sdean
21-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I got mine from a friend's pond.

Happy Bunny
21-05-2011, 07:54 PM
what do you keep the tadpoles in.
My son would love to do that next year

The Juggler
21-05-2011, 10:16 PM
we've got our taddies in an old fishtank:thumbsup: