PDA

View Full Version : na na na talk .....

Zoomie
18-05-2011, 09:55 PM
don't know what is is called, but you know when someone says

my house is bigger than your house.
you don't know what i am having for tea

it isn't so much what is said, its the way it is said, tone is changed etc.

How do you stop this with LOs ?

Drives me mad and my DD does it loads :blush: :blush: :blush:

RachelE
19-05-2011, 06:52 AM
I dont like it either.

I used to Nanny for 2 boys and the Dad used to actively promote them saying this! - yes, their house was bigger than mine etc, but Dad was an obnoxious g*t and it really wound me up!

I have a mindee that does it midly and I explain that we all have homes etc that we love and that we are all very lucky.

Rachel x

boxtree7
19-05-2011, 06:53 AM
that really drives me mad .... everyone has different things in life ... I am not sure how you stop it

maryp0ppins
19-05-2011, 07:04 AM
depending on age I would say if you haven't anything nice to say then please DONT say it.

:thumbsup:

or just answer that's great but we Love our house just the way it is :cool:

onceinabluemoon
19-05-2011, 07:16 AM
One-upmanship!

I get it here too, from my house is tidier than yours (me: well that's because you are here all day!) to my house is bigger than yours (me: is it really, wow that's lovely but I really like my little house so that's ok)

I suspect a lot of them just have parents who do the same bless them, it has to be learned from somewhere doesn't it...

Mookins
19-05-2011, 07:17 AM
wonder if they have bigger bills than me, or bigger fleas:D :littleangel:

xx

Mollymop
19-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Ohh i have that here too with a mindee. She has everything and done everything. Everything she owns is better than everyone elses, her house is bigger than mine, her bedroom is bigger than ours, her garden is longer than ours, she owns the park, she has been to willy wonkers factory and she is allowed to stay up longer than her parents to watch dvds everynight:rolleyes: .

It gets on my nerves, but I just say "talk nicely please" and then it stops for a little while

kindredspirits
19-05-2011, 09:32 AM
i think its a sad reflection on what is deep down insecurity in these children. if you are happy and comfortable then you don't need everyone to know how good the things you have are. I have a mindee who doesn't do that as much - but every time I praise my son she starts doing ballet dancing right in front of my face saying 'look at me, look at me'. I praise this mindee all the time but she obviously doesn't get the same parental affection as I give to my son and I find myself treading a fine line between giving her enough attention but also not giving in to attention seeking behaviour iykwim.

The Juggler
19-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I think it helps mindees who are happy with you remember there are fab things about their home/family life too. I don't always think they mean it.

Some mindees however, ARE more materialistic and have every new toy/gadget. I had a child like this and my children (nor us) don't give a monkeys about new technology or labels so if they ever have something new it's not usually top of the range but this mindee always had something better or bigger.

Sometimes I think they were just sad cos my kids were home and playing with a new toy or whatever and they were missing their home/toys.:(