PDA

View Full Version : Repeatative talk

funemnx
18-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a 3 1/2 year old girl who will ask what I'm doing 100 times a day, I always answer her or I ask her what I'm doing so that she can answer me. Which ever way I do it, she always asks again 2 minutes later. If she's not asking me what I'm doing, she's asking me what X is doing or similar. It's very irritating and I'd like it to stop, now!!! Lol!

I like to think I'm a very patient person but it's starting to annoy me now, she has a very busy and varied day but I have noticed it gets worse after lunch when the little ones are asleep and it's quiet time - maybe she's bored?

moljak
18-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I have a nearly 3yr old mindee and a 5yr old who are the same.I answer them ,then return the question and ask what they're doing or whatever it was they repeatedly ask.It means they have to stop and think before answering and actually makes a conversation.I found that sometime they didn't realise they were doing it over and over until they had to reply to me :)

miffy
18-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I've also had a child do this - it does get irritating after a while.

After a few times I would say that they had just asked me that question and what did I reply. Then I realised that sometimes they weren't even listening to the reply so just asked the question again.

It passed eventually, like any other phase - hope yours does too!

Miffy xx

teacake2
18-05-2011, 05:31 PM
You are lucky only having 1, I have 3 or them, it gets so bad sometimes that I have to go into the kitchen or somewhere for a few moments to get myself back together again, and when they have gone it feels like I am deaf :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

maryp0ppins
18-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Poor you, but can I ask you something

What are you doing :laughing: :laughing: sorry couldn't resist.

I have a 4 year old mindee who Say's WHY to EVERYTHING.

Put your shoes on please...WHY
It's tidy up time...WHY
Oh I think X is awake I'll just go get him...WHY
Mum's just pulled up...WHY
bla bla bla...WHY WHY WHY :eeeek: :doh: :eeeek: :doh:

mushpea
18-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I have three of them doing this some days,, a 3yrold who constantly asks what I am doing even when its obvious so somtimes I will say what do yo uthink I am doing, a 2yrold who asks several times then starts grinning cause he knows he winds me up and a 2yrold that does it cause he copys what ever the 3yrold does!
I do answer but with the 2yrold that copys he will ask the same question over and over again and in the end I just say' i have already told you ' then ignore any future questions that are the same.

Katiekoo
18-05-2011, 07:00 PM
My dd went through this stage (started at about 20 months)- it felt like it lasted forever! I have no helpful suggestions - what you're doing is about what we did. We said 'What do you think I'm doing? What are you doing?'.
I think it stemmed from me asking ' What ARE you doing???!!!' when she was doing something cheeky or silly, she was trying to copy me but got the emphasis wrong - I found that quite funny so she thought she'd do it over and over and before long it was a habit.
It hasn't gone away completely - (she's three in June) she now just askes a LOT of questions, all the time.

funemnx
18-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Poor you, but can I ask you something

What are you doing :laughing: :laughing: sorry couldn't resist.

I have a 4 year old mindee who Say's WHY to EVERYTHING.

Put your shoes on please...WHY
It's tidy up time...WHY
Oh I think X is awake I'll just go get him...WHY
Mum's just pulled up...WHY
bla bla bla...WHY WHY WHY :eeeek: :doh: :eeeek: :doh:

LOL!!! Got that too, but drowned out with the 'what' at the moment!!! Arrgghhh!:laughing:

mummyof3
18-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I am not alone!!!! :D

Almost 3yr old asks me what I'm doing all the time, why i'm doing that to everything I do and then when I talk to him I get 'what' this goes on for the WHOLE day and the other 2yr old is now copying him :angry:

Poor mum no wonder she looks frazzled everytime I see her :laughing:

sillysausage
18-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I think all children go through a phase at some time or other of asking the same question over and over. I've got a 2 1/2 yr old who asks 'what are you doing?' repeatedly, usually when he is tired and wants a story before his nap. I think it spurs me on to finish whatever I'm doing (usually clearing lunch things away into the dishwasher) and get on with his nap-time routine.
The 3 yr old I have keeps asking 'when will daddy be here?' which I find a little upsetting when he's asking it every 10 mins and I'm keeping him busy, playing games, doing crafts etc etc. I'm not worried about him being unhappy with me as he rushes in every morning with a great big smile and his mum is always going on about how he asks to come to my house at the weekends too, but I still find it a bit upsetting.

SYLVIA
19-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't get me started! I have 3 LO's that do this but one has an even more annoying habit of asking the same question the moment after the last one said it. She also repeats, asks for, tells me exactly what the last one just said. When I have to tell her to stop doing something, I ask her to tell me what I've said, she tells me something completely different. It drives me bonkers!

onceinabluemoon
19-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I think all children go through a phase at some time or other of asking the same question over and over. I've got a 2 1/2 yr old who asks 'what are you doing?' repeatedly, usually when he is tired and wants a story before his nap. I think it spurs me on to finish whatever I'm doing (usually clearing lunch things away into the dishwasher) and get on with his nap-time routine.
The 3 yr old I have keeps asking 'when will daddy be here?' which I find a little upsetting when he's asking it every 10 mins and I'm keeping him busy, playing games, doing crafts etc etc. I'm not worried about him being unhappy with me as he rushes in every morning with a great big smile and his mum is always going on about how he asks to come to my house at the weekends too, but I still find it a bit upsetting.

He is probably just beginning to grasp a concept of time maybe?

My 3 and a half YO mindee did this so I drew out some digital clocks that looked like ours and wrote the times in of important things like lunch time, snack time, toddlers, school run time and going home time etc. He occasionally asks how long now but not half as much as he used to. Would this be worth a try for you?