PDA

View Full Version : mum was really upset

kel1983
18-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I got a phone call from lo's mum about 10 minutes before she was due to arrive. I could hear the LO screaming her head off in the background. Mum also sounded upset. Apparantly lo had been crying the half hour walk back across town from where she had been this morning. Mum asked me if I could meet her down the road cause she really didnt know what to do.

When I got down the road I found mum and LO both in floods of tears. Mum just didnt know what to do and said that she had some awful looks from passer bys which I know is not nice at all.

Turns out LO had been to a creach at the local pool this morning and ever since has be extremely upset. When mum went to enquire about the creach at the beginning of the week they were not going to let her in to see what it was like but she insisted and they eventually let her in and this morning when she dropped lo off they literally took her off her before she could get anywhere near the door. :eek: Parents like to see there child settled before they are happy to leave them especially on there first day at a new setting. This all seems a bit dodgy to me.

I just feel really sorry for this mum. She is a young single parent and looked like she was at the end of her tether. (Sorry spelling) I just hope I helped her and reassured her that she was doing fine.

LO was happy as soon as we got into my house and was very happy as mum left. I really feel guilty when they are upset for mum and then really happy with me :panic:

Im really not good with other adults being upset. Has anyone else had to comfort a parent before? How did you handle them?

Milli147
18-05-2011, 01:08 PM
No, I've not had to, but it sounds like you did a great job. :)

I would treat them in the same way I would treat a friend who was upset - cup of tea/bottle of wine (as appropriate!) and let them talk. All you gotta do is listen - if they want advice they'll ask you, normally people just want to get it off their chest :)

grindal
18-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I lent a parent my car for a couple of days once. She arrived and was clearly upset, got talking, explained her husband had already gone to work and she had tried to drive to me, but car would not start. I asked her if she wanted to borrow my car for the day as I could do without it!

I like helping people out if I can!

kel1983
18-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I lent a parent my car for a couple of days once. She arrived and was clearly upset, got talking, explained her husband had already gone to work and she had tried to drive to me, but car would not start. I asked her if she wanted to borrow my car for the day as I could do without it!

I like helping people out if I can!

Wow that is very good of you :thumbsup:

I hope I helped by just being there. I think she just needed someone to tell her that its normal for children to have random screaming fits.

The lo bopped her chin with the doll and went in to histerical crying with me a while ago. She has gone off for a sleep now. Hopefully she may wake in a better mood.

boxtree7
18-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I always send a text message to mum or if I can i send a picture text.

kel1983
18-05-2011, 03:31 PM
omg!!! Poor mum has gone home withh a screaming lo. She just didnt want to go in the pushchair. I felt so sorry for mum.

I wanna send her a lovely text to make sure she is ok. I dont want it to seem I dont think she is a good mum. I keep thinking she thinks im judging her. :panic: and I don't

Any advise would be greatfully received

debratina
18-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I have had a couple of parent that have been upset but they have older children. I give them a reassuring cuddle and then say if you need me I am here for you (especially if they are single parents). I have found the children's centre with the family worker very helpful for information
Debra

Maza
18-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I haven't had to comfort a parent but I had an almost identical experience when I used the creche at our local pool! I can't believe I went against my own gut feeling and actually left my daughter with them. When I think of the lengths I go to to help my mindees settle in. Mum might have been feeling guilty - I felt awful and also had a little cry when I saw how distraught my daughter was.

Both my mindees play up when their parents come to collect them and I know the parents get embarassed. Like you I am far from judging them! x