PDA

View Full Version : construction toys

moljak
18-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I'd like to get a bigger range of construction toys as kids getting fed up with duplo, lego, building bricks, trainset, magnet toys, marble run ect I have.

Any suggestions? i was looking at the kind that link together or pop together like popoids.Soooo many chioces .Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone got zoobs? or interstar? any good?

mama2three
18-05-2011, 12:37 PM
A friend has zoobs , shes not impressed for the cost though.
My lot love knex , meccano and plain old wooden blocks .Popoids are good but they dont really use them as construction iyswim. Octons are poular. The big builder sets from elc go down well.
We also do giant construction with cardboard boxes and tubes and other junk - and with polystyrene blocks salvaged from packaging ( have read recently polystyrene is on the 'slapt wrist list' though!)

moljak
18-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Thankyou just realising i do have quite a bit cos got knex and mecanno too and the building blocks.I rotate them frequently but everyone has just seemed to loose their mojo with this type of play.We den build alot using boxes wood ect but I'd love something new for if we are indoors.will keep looking and listening :)

The Juggler
18-05-2011, 12:44 PM
what about borrowing a set of large hollow outside blocks, or the geometic, plain wooden blocks hon.

Octons are good also but sounds like you have a good range. construction toys are sooo expensive. try your toy library or ask your local playgroup or cc if you can borrow something :thumbsup:

moljak
18-05-2011, 12:54 PM
hehe have octons too.Seems I do have alarge range.just need someone to point it out lol.

Penny1959
18-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I recently brought a large set of Giant polydron (is plastic but means is lightweight) all the children use it in various ways and the 4 year old is bulding mathematical shapes and using mathematical language.

Got it at education show - and even then was £80 - but well worth it.

Could you club together with some other local childminders to share the expense of a larger set of whatever?

Penny :)

miffy
18-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Wooden bricks are always played with when out - duplo and stickle bricks less popular.

We have some foam building bricks which fascinate the children and are great inside or out.

I still don't think you can beat big cardboard boxes and lengths of material.

Miffy xx

moljak
18-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I totally agree miffy :)

That's a good idea Penny.I'm off to google.

Thankyou all :)

Maza
18-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Mobilo seemed to be the most popular year in year out with my school age kids.

squiggle
18-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I've got some of the zoobs and all of my children love them :thumbsup:

i brought them from the education show in birmingham

x

mushpea
18-05-2011, 08:11 PM
we also have octons and they are good for a good age range, I also have popoids and they like making up people/animals with them,, we have zoobs too and my son (10yrs) loves them and so does the 7yrold mindee but they are a bit tough for the under 5ys to put together,,
mine really love the wooden building blocks at the moment,, how about stickle briks

samb
18-05-2011, 09:34 PM
and for the little ones... peek a blocks and large number/letter foam tiles - make puppet stages with these, and soft city bricks.

Beetlejuice
18-05-2011, 10:00 PM
My lot LOVE magnetic polydrons - as do the adults who come to the setting! They are totally addictive lol! We've got all the usual - duplo, megabloks, peekabloks, lego etc but they always go back to the magnets.