PDA

View Full Version : Sharing info with nurseries - moan!!!

sophiestars
17-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I was thinking the other day, despite all the nurseries any of my mindees have / do attend not one of them has made the first move in contacting me regarding sharing info yet we as childminders are expected to do it.

Why is all the emphasis on us making the first move and nurseries don't get marked down for not doing it? It's a little annoying. It's not as if the nurseries don't know mindees have been with me first as parents always tell them.

Even when i do make the first move i either get no response or very minimal/sporadic response and Ofsted expect me to follow up, make phone calls, write letters etc but surely we are all in the EYFS together and the nurseries have just as much responsibility to do the same?

Rant over lol!!

rickysmiths
17-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I was told at my local reception that they couldn't share info because I wasn't the parents and it was confidential. If I wanted the info I could ask the parents? :eek:

I have a little one starting in that Reception in Sept so we will see if their attitude has changed in the last 3 years and they got Outstanding when they were inspected.

The Pre-school was the same. so I demonstrate that I have and how I have tried to comunicate and leave it at that. I frankly have not got the time to keep chasing someone who should and clearly doesn't comply with the requirements of EYFS.

sarah707
17-05-2011, 09:08 PM
It can be very hard to communicate with some settings.

I think you can only do your best... have information in your files to show you have tried and make a note of anything you can get out of them.

Hth :D

mushpea
18-05-2011, 06:01 AM
I put the diary iin the childs bag each week and ask mum to send it to the nursery so they can add comments but they never do and ofsted marked me down for not communicating with the nurseries and even the inspector admited that there wasnt much more that I could do

Jiorjiina
18-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Ask the nursery to confirm in writing that they cannot share information with you for reasons of confidentiality and see what happens!

nokidshere
18-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Hmmm I am in two minds about this.

For the average child there really should be no need to share information with different settings. And, if the child has issues that need dealing with by all interested parties, then permission should be sought in writing from the parent to allow you/nursery to do that.

I would never share information with the school if the parent had not given me written permission and would not expect the school/nursery to do either - after all thats what data protection is for is it not?

If children are developing normally then why do we need to know what they have done in school or nursery that day? over and above what the child shares with us the short answer is that we don't.

And Ofsted cannot mark someone down for trying and getting no response - that is ridiculous in the extreme and I would be complaining very loudly!

angeldelight
18-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I know how you feel

You can only do your best though

Angel xx

Stew....pid
18-05-2011, 11:04 AM
As we live in a village we are very lucky as we know most of the Playgroup and Pre School staff and swap "confidental" info as and when required, when collecting we always have a general chat about how x has been today and what x has been upto, they know we are the link to the parents of whom they rarely see and treat us accordingly :)

Dragonfly
18-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I think having a quick chat to find out how they have been when you collect and what they have been doing is fine. I dont usually go further than that, although I do have a signed form to share information.