PDA

View Full Version : Playroom storage

CJ Thorn
17-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi,i am in the middle of converting my hardy ever used didning room extension into a playroom....can anyone recommend some good storage ideas?...i have tried IKEA but cant quite see what im looking for...although im not even quite sure what that is lol :panic: ....any suggestions greatly appreciated..
Cath.xx

JulieA
17-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I have the Expedit range from IKEA - it is fab, there are plenty of different inserts you can get too. Could be used as a room divider as well as against the wall.

I know others prefer the Trofast system.

I hope you find something suitable. xx

miffy
17-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Ikea trofast but if that's not what you want then try googling early years storage and see what comes up

Miffy xx

kel1983
17-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I like the trofast. I got one unit up in my spare room and just about to get another for downstairs in our office room so that we can rotate toys easier.
The boxes are ver sturdy. The kids are very often tipping stuff out and climbing on them.

I also like the Expedit stuff very sturdy units. But I just dont like the baskets etc that go in them.

clio0602
17-05-2011, 03:15 PM
When I move I am getting expedit units :D

justdaz
17-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a couple of Expedit units though the baskets to go in can work out quite expensive. I also have Trofast and I use some of the Trofast boxes in the Expedit.
Sometimes it is nice to have the shelves open with displays on.

CJ Thorn
17-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Maybe i will take another look at ikea then lol??? ive only been on the website and couldnt get my head around the many many things they have lol....
Thankyou so much for all your suggestions.
Cath.xx:clapping:

Mum232008
17-05-2011, 05:38 PM
my mum uses her conservatory for her playroom but at weekends its a lounge area so she uses the seagrass range from tesco direct they are bigger than they look and look nice when the children have gone home.

Graham
25-05-2011, 09:02 AM
There are some nice storage shelves in Argos which someone recently bought via the forum.

ARGOS STORAGE SHELVING (http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-4275069-10294381?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic %2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F9293894%2Fc_1%2F1%257Cca tegory_root%257CHome%2Band%2Bfurniture%257C1441789 4%2Fc_2%2F2%257C14417894%257CStorage%2Band%2Bshelv ing%257C14417975.htm&cjsku=9293894" target=)

flowerpots
25-05-2011, 09:46 AM
i use these

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/18835/

and trofast. :thumbsup:

Mookins
08-06-2011, 06:59 AM
i really wanted the trofast but they dont deliver and looking at arranging my own delivery is in the regions of about £150:eek: :angry:

the expedit is nest on my list but the storage boxes are so expensive....:(

beginning to lose the wil to live lol

xxx

rickysmiths
08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
If you have a look on this thread there are some good links and photos.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=82934&highlight=Trofast

sweets
08-06-2011, 07:36 AM
there are lots of storage baskets made for the expedit from about £3 each you dont have to have the branas (£13) baskets they do, they have some nice zip up canvas boxes and see through plastic ones cheaper.

in my expedit i have some baskets that i got from matalan that were £5 each, they fit really well.

Mookins
08-06-2011, 07:41 AM
there are lots of storage baskets made for the expedit from about £3 each you dont have to have the branas (£13) baskets they do, they have some nice zip up canvas boxes and see through plastic ones cheaper.

in my expedit i have some baskets that i got from matalan that were £5 each, they fit really well.

oooh can you send a link to these boxes please hun

xx

sweets
08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
heres the link for the baskets, they do them in lots of colours and have now gone up to £6 and are slightly smaller than the expedit holes which is good as you can see what toys are in them.http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Living/Plain-Paper-Tray-Purple/30041&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

have a look at this thread, theres a picture of my unit on it. i have the green baskets

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79155&highlight=expedit

Mookins
08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
heres the link for the baskets, they do them in lots of colours and have now gone up to £6 and are slightly smaller than the expedit holes which is good as you can see what toys are in them.http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Living/Plain-Paper-Tray-Purple/30041&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

have a look at this thread, theres a picture of my unit on it. i have the green baskets

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79155&highlight=expedit

excellent thanks so much, right will forget the trofast and order the expedit, the gaps are much bigger than i expected, its hard to judge until you can see something in them lol thanks hunny xx

Fairy Tanya
08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi, I just recently converted my garage into a playroom. it's now lovely and airy, with a big south facing window. the size is 9'x12' (that's feet & inches) - do you think it's big enough. and what size places do you other childminders have - as am not sure with that - that how many kids I would be allowed to have. have a large garden 30'x70' and a conservortery, is about 10'x20'. the hall is is smallish, which leads to the downstairs toilet.
what kind of size do you all have??
Thanks
Tanya

singlewiththree
12-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm changing my garage into a playroom and am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone who has done it let me know?

I've got in touch with planning and they are happy as the plans for the original garage when it was build with a room above didn't say anything about keeping a car in it so I can go ahead.

I've contacted building regulations who want me to complete a building notice and give £450.

I'm planning on putting a window in place of the garage door, and also putting a door from my porch into the playroom.

I can't afford a garage conversion company but my dad is a retired electrician and good with wood so planning on doing most of it for me, my mindees dad is a plasterer and his brother is a builder so going to do the front wall and I know a window company for the window and door.

Is there any advice from those that have done it?

sillybeans
12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I have the 4 & 8 square expedit units. The 8 square units are laid horizantally and my 2 and 3 year old mindees can access evrything :rolleyes:

I use the Drona boxes (£2.59 each) which fit perfectly and use fabric paint to label and picture whats inside. I turn them around when mindee's have gone home and i want a more child free space :laughing:

miffy
12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm changing my garage into a playroom and am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone who has done it let me know?

I've got in touch with planning and they are happy as the plans for the original garage when it was build with a room above didn't say anything about keeping a car in it so I can go ahead.

I've contacted building regulations who want me to complete a building notice and give £450.

I'm planning on putting a window in place of the garage door, and also putting a door from my porch into the playroom.

I can't afford a garage conversion company but my dad is a retired electrician and good with wood so planning on doing most of it for me, my mindees dad is a plasterer and his brother is a builder so going to do the front wall and I know a window company for the window and door.

Is there any advice from those that have done it?

I think you might get more response if you start a new thread - this one is about playroom storage so members may not look at it iykwim.

Miffy xx

boxtree7
12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I use the expedit units from Ikea - You can black or pink soft boxes for around 4.00 each to fit and fit loads into.