PDA

View Full Version : Double dose of medicine!!!!

vicky5432
17-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi I have just taken on 2 after schoolies, mum has mentioned to me that her daughter suffers from sudden rises in temperature, this does not often happen but when it does sometimes it has led to convulsions. She has agreed a signed to say i can administer calpol etc bt would contact her before administering to get a verbal consent, then would record it and get her to sign when she arrived to collect her. She has asked that if her temp does suddenly become v high give her double the recommended dose, as this is what the doctors have told her to do to try and stop it ending in convulsions.
I do not feel happy about doing this as technically i would be overdosing her and feel there could be serious consequences in the event she becomes unwell after the medication.
Should i just tell mum unfortunately i can only give her the recommended dose and that should she wish to give her more when she collects her that is up to her???
Dont want to risk being struck off as cm or worse!!

Jiorjiina
17-05-2011, 08:57 AM
If the GP has recommended giving a double dose of calpol, they shouldn't have a problem confirming it in writing for you.

I wouldn't do it without though.

kindredspirits
17-05-2011, 08:59 AM
could mum supply calpol and ibuprofen - you could give her a dose of each which is perfectly safe and would help keep temp down without risking an overdose?

JCrakers
17-05-2011, 09:01 AM
If this is the case then you need written paperwork from her doctor, signed with exactly the dose/medication she needs. This written paperwork needs to be exact

Dodgy ground though :panic:

Becky x

Happy Bunny
17-05-2011, 09:04 AM
My daughter suffers from these.
I have never been told to administer a double dose of Calpol.
I was told to do Calpol and Nurofen though.

Definitely get her to get a doctors note to confirm this if this is the case.

Mouse
17-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I would phone your insurance company and Ofsted and ask where you stand. If it was allowed, they'd let you know what you need to do to cover yourself.

Pipsqueak
17-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Since HArry was a tiddler he got massive (unexplained to this day) surges in temperature very unexpectedly. I was told under no circumstances to double up the doses... they would only ever do this in hospital under supervision (which they did)

so it would be a no from me. I would never give over and above recommended doses unless I had medical confimation in doing so. I would also want to be talking to said health professional and then I would be talking to my insurance company.

jaja
17-05-2011, 09:51 AM
i used to give my dd calpol then wait for 30 mins then a dose a nurofen which worked for me but never two doses of either as it was overdosing, has the mum misunderstood the doctor? i would ask mum and say that you need the doctor to write you a note in that case but i wouldnt do it xxxx

Lawwa
17-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I asked my friend about this (they are a doctor) and they agreed with the calpol and ibuprofen but the double dosing was definitely not advisable.

vicky5432
17-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone, my general feeling was not to do this, so i will speak to her again and get her to provide calpol and nurofen, as i am not happy about giving her child a double dose.

Mouse
17-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone, my general feeling was not to do this, so i will speak to her again and get her to provide calpol and nurofen, as i am not happy about giving her child a double dose.

I think I'd be telling her to go back to the doctors to double check what she's been told, otherwise she might double dose at home. Then, be very clear to check if mindee has been given calpol at home before coming to you and exactly how much. You might only give the correct dose, but if parents have given a double dose at home, you'd still be contributing to a possible overdose.

Ali56
17-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I agree with the others, double dosing should only ever happen under very close supervision as overdosing on calpol (paracetamol ) can lead to liver damage, So I'd wouldn't do it. If one of my mindee's had a serious sudden spike of temperature I would be happy to give calpol and nurofen(following correct procedure), but then I would be ringing mum and sending them home. DD takes high doses of lots of meds but is very closely monitored by GP and hospital. Def check with insurance/ofsted and ask for a note from gp, even then only do it if you feel comfortable doing so.

Stew....pid
17-05-2011, 12:42 PM
If it was me id text the mother, that way you will have permission by text and her advised dosage rather than a non tracable verbal phone call, then fill the medical record and get it signed when mother came to collect :)

JulieA
17-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I agree - I would not double dose at all. If the gp has recommended this I too would want it in writing from the doctor. Or if the gp prescribes calpol, etc he could add the medication amounts on the pharmacy sticky label (as with other prescribed medicines, eg take 5ml four times a day with food - IYSWIM).

vicky5432
17-05-2011, 07:08 PM
thanks for all the advice am going to speak to mum tomorrow.