PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it - After Schoolies!?!?

mgtrem
16-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice/reassurance really.

I currently have 2 mindees and my son. I have been contacted by a prospective parent as her daughter starts school in September and she is looking for childcare 2 days a week after school.

I'm just not sure if it will work. My 3 little ones will all be between 15 and 16 months. The school is about a 25 min walk but if its pouring down with rain how will I do it? Put 2 in the buggy one in a carrier? Will they be big enough to take turns on a buggy board at that age? I could drive but then I'd have still have to get them all out of the car in the rain!?!?

Is it possible? will it just be a nightmare? Would you do it if it were you.

Thanks in advance for any advice, i'm new at this and a 1st time parent so not sure of the abilities of 15month old children and the logistics of a school run!!

missymood
16-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a nightmare to me:eek:

I would think about all that bad weather in the winter and couldn't be dong with all the stress of it all.

miffy
16-05-2011, 08:53 PM
It sounds like hard work for very little extra money so I think I would turn it down.

It's a long walk for children of that age, pushing a double buggy whilst carrying another toddler would be very hard work, not sure about the buggy board, never used one, but would think the children are all a bit young for that.

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
16-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I have not had three all of this age, but had two fourteen months and one aged just 2 and I didn't attempt school runs without a triple buggy and they were 10 mins round the corner.... it isn't just rain, it is very cold winter weather too.... you need to be able to tuck them up warm and cosy and a rain cover is needed to keep the heat in many winter days!!! It also often comes at a poor time for little ones..... you need to wake them up to go on the school run etc so you may need to think about your routines also to make sure little ones are getting what they need! 15/16 months is too little for a buggy board as they haven't got the strength/stamina/balance to cope with it!

HTH, Jen x

PixiePetal
16-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I personally wouldn't, for the simple reason that unless I had my own child to collect from school, I would rather spend my time playing and caring for the little ones than be tied by school times. They are all very young and you may find yourself with a sleeping child to wake for a school run in the rain.

I only did school runs when my own were at primary school as I was there anyway. :)

The Juggler
16-05-2011, 09:17 PM
i think until I absolutely HAD to do a school run (i.e. my own kids) I'd avoid it. especially with 3 littlies like that.

Maybe 18-20 months a child might be able to do a buggy board (depends on child) but at that age if they decide they want off or in the buggy what would you do? You'd probably have to invest in a triple. I do a school run and I'm gonna have to buy a tripe for the first time in 6 years in Jan but it's only for 1 day. I wouldnt do it if it were 5 days/week :panic:

Mrs Pootle
17-05-2011, 05:53 AM
I am going to school anyway to pick up my own children, and this is the only reason I would do what you are being asked. If you don't have children at the school already, I wouldn't do it, as it will be such a faff getting them ready into outdoor clothes etc and trudging through the weather. It's fine when you have 3 littlies to get ready for playing out as there is no timescale involved, but do you really want the stress of having them all ready to get to school on time?
At the moment I have only one mindee in nappies, but it is almost a guarantee that at least once a week they will do the stinkiest nappy literally the minute I say it's time to get shoes on for the school run. The nappy of course has to be changed, just imagine if this was all 3 or yours :eek:

mushpea
17-05-2011, 05:56 AM
now see i am off the opposite oppinion,, i would take it on because it would mean on cold/wet days we would have to get out meaning we would still get out in the fresh air, cold and wet wont kill you nor can you catch a cold from being cold,, if they are wrapped up warm under a rain cover then they will be fine and if you invest in a decent coat hat and gloves you too will befine, two days a week isnt bad to start with then from that you could decided wether you wanted more days if it were offered by another parent or not, by about 3pm my lot are getting so they need to go out for a walk somwhere even if its just round the block, they get grumpy being in all day and after a walk in the fresh air they are ready to start again.
you could invest in a tripple or get a buggy board then let them share rides .

caz3007
17-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I hate the school runs in the bad weather, but I have to do them as my DS is 8. I was minding when he was preschool but didnt take on school runs until he was in school, as it was added stress to my day that wasnt necessary.

Dare I also add that I am cutting down hugely on my after schoolies as I find mixing the two age groups rather stressful, but that could be cos at lot of my after schoolies are now 10, 11 and 12

justdaz
17-05-2011, 06:17 AM
I have done school runs with 3 small toddlers a number of times. I also feel it is good to have a reason to go out each day, especially in the winter months. Good preperation being the key.
Investing in a triple or as I have a double with a clip on third seat is essential.
Once in the school run loop other prospective mindees may come your way.
I am not denying it can be hard some days but fun for the most of the time.
At the end of the day you have to decide what will be best for you.

mgtrem
17-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I emailed the Mum today to say that I couldnt do it. Just dont want to take on too much too quickly and then end up regretting it!!