PDA

View Full Version : Planning Ahead

Bexboo1
16-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I've just started childminding and have just done my yearly planner and from that produced monthly plans. (I think I have just about got the hang of it)!!

Just one quick question. How far in advance do I need to be thinking about next years plans? When do you do yours? Am I thinking too far in front?

Thanks

Maza
16-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I think you are planning too far ahead. You should be following the Children's interests and you don't know what these will be in a few months down the line. Last weekend my mindee fed some fish at a friend's house and loved it and so this week we are doing activities around 'The Rainbow Fish'. I couldn't have predicted this a couple of months ago. We are also working on counting out two objects accurately in a variety of contexts. I think he has grasped that now so I know I don't need to be doing that in three or four months time.

Having said that it is good to have a broad plan in mind of festivals/celebrations that you want to cover over the next few months so that you can start gethering resources and ideas.

You sound really dedicated! The children will be lucky to have you.

Bexboo1
16-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you.

My yearly planner just list birthdays, festivals/celebrations and topics linked to what month we are in eg December we will be doing something around Christmas. August I am planning doing topics on Summer etc.

Then my monthly plan highlights the particular topic I want to cover and how we are going to do it and how it links into EYFS. Obviously then anything else that happens or takes the children's interest will be recorded through daily diary/obs etc.

Am I doing it right??

sarah707
16-05-2011, 05:35 PM
That sounds fine to me Bexboo.

There are 2 different types of planning - individual and group.

You can write your group planning in advance if that's how you want to work (I do) but just make sure when you are planning for the day, you take the child's individual likes, dislikes, interests and currently enjoyed games into account.

hth :D