PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a chihuahua (or any dog I guess)

gigglinggoblin
16-05-2011, 09:35 AM
I have been offered a chihuahua puppy. I have never owned a dog before, only cats, so I can only guess about how it will affect my day to day activites as the cats tend to see to themselves. The kids are desperate for a dog and I think I can handle one this size. One of my kids is very nervous around dogs and I think it might be good for him. I have read that you need to treat them as you would a large dog and be very firm about bad behaviour but as I have been well trained by having 4 boys I am feeling pretty confident about this too.

I am just wondering if anyone can give me any advice about practicalities, would I need to inform Ofsted, do I have a rose tinted view? I dont want to get one and realise I cant manage!

AliceK
16-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Sorry haven't got much time, just off out but I understood (and I might be wrong) that they do not make great dogs to have around children because of their intense bonding with their owner and having a jealous streak.

Sorry can't give more info as no time. Hope I'm wrong about them though, they do look cute :)

xxxxx

Ripeberry
16-05-2011, 10:37 AM
They can be very yappy! :( And for their size they bite more often but this is also down to training at a young age.
Why did they give it to you? Have you seen the parents of the puppy?
I'm always a bit wary of animals that are given away.

PixiePetal
16-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I would say the same as AliceK.

read the bit about temperament on Wikipedia :o sorry - wouldn't be my personal choice

littletreasures
16-05-2011, 10:50 AM
My friend has got a chihuahua cross and I have to say I really don't like it at all. (and I love dogs)!

It is very happy and jumps up a lot. I asked her to have one of my minds (with Mums permission) for a couple of hours while I dropped my daughter at the airport. I came back to find this dog had jumped up and caught my minds foot with her teeth as she was in my friends arms.

Apparently my friend said it was because the doorbell went and the dog got excited. I was devastated and very cross. I wrote it up as an incident and said I would not be going round to my friends house if the dog was allowed out.

The dog also snaps and yaps if another dog goes near the pushchair while they are in the park. It mouths the children's hands a lot as well.

Think very carefully before getting it and read up on the breed. I know it is down to how the dog is trained as well but I wouldn't get one.

Sorry xx

Jiorjiina
16-05-2011, 11:03 AM
On the plus side, small dogs are easy to cuddle, but on the down side they can be hurt more easily by over-enthusiastic playing, and getting squashed or trodden on by people who don't see them.

I know that Chihuahua's can have a number of quite serious health problems genetically, so personally I would be a bit careful.

Louise0208
16-05-2011, 11:23 AM
i know a few people with this (and other toy breeds) and there not an ideal breed with small children....but saying that its early stages are important & how they react around children. its hard work when they are pups & need a lot of training.

toy breeds are very terratorial & possesive of owners.....what they lack in size they make up for in attitude.

Me personally would go for a larger breed which are more family friendly & can easily adapt to changes within the home (new children & parents etc) border collie, retreiver, spaniel (though a little hyper & needs lots of excersise)

kells_bells
16-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I have one. Bella is brilliant with children. She has never bitten anyone, the worst thing she's done is pee at a mums feet :blush:
I have daily chats with lo's about her as she's so delicate their eyes are pronounced so poking is a big thing to be weary off. My dog does not Yap either, she will occasionally if posties here or she gets hurt she'll welp :(
I have a long coat chi she has to be brushed every night as the fur malts constantly.

As a breed they are very independent and territorial. When out walking Bella runs circles around us all to herd us all together :laughing: She has tried to take on a bullmastiff that jumped up at my ds (nearly a suicide mission). They can live for about 22 yrs so bear that in mind! It's a bigggggg commitment. The need a lot of training, they are very clever so without training they think they are boss. They need a fair bit of exercise too, a lot more than you'd expect from a cat sized dog. I take Bella out for 15-30 mins in th morn and she let out twice a day.

gigglinggoblin
16-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I am very undecided so all points of view are really useful.

I have had a good read around the internet and have seen all the problems people mentioned here (and a few more!). However a few sites have said its down to training and often its because behaviour that just wouldn't be tolerated in a big dog (such as jumping up) is allowed in a toy dog - the problem is its dominant behaviour and toy dogs have the same pack mentality as big dogs so will snap and yap because they think they are boss (would be interested to see what kells beels thinks about this as an owner).

I wouldnt consider getting a big or mendium dog at all, I am quite nervous of dogs really and so is one of my children, I think a little dog would be ok for us both and might do us a lot of good! I would definately need to find obedience classes and probably get all the kids involved too - my two eldest are desperate to get a dog and are set on getting something big as soon as they can (that'll be when they move out then!) so I think it would be a good learning experience for them.

The pups havent been born yet so shouldnt be coming with too much emotional baggage, they are not being rehomed because of mistreatment. I havent seen the parents but a friend knows them.

I am a bit nervous about a dog around mindees but I dont really want it locked up all day either, tbh I think these are my biggest worries. Do those of you with dogs have space for the dog to be alone all day or do they wander round the house and get involved with the kids?

amanda1309
16-05-2011, 12:47 PM
We have an English Springer spaniel and he is locked in the kitchen and dining room whilst I am in with the mindees.
He is a bit jumpy and his tail wags alot and i am worried that he would knock little ones over.
He is left in the back as he likes to chew my toys and I can't afford all the new toys I would need if he came into the lounge. :laughing:
He is lovely with the mindees when we go through or we are in the garden.

littletreasures
16-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a 14 year old Retriever and a 7 year old lab.

The retriever sleeps wherever he falls all day his back legs give way So he flops and that's where he stays until he barks for me to help him up.

The dogs beds are in the playroom and sometimes the lab will go on his bed, but lately he has taken to sleeping in the dining room where the minds aren't allowed. Not sure if it's intentional on his part to get out the way or it's nice and cosy there.

The children know they must leave the dogs alone if they are asleep and even the little ones keep to the rules.

Pipsqueak
16-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I am very undecided so all points of view are really useful.

I have had a good read around the internet and have seen all the problems people mentioned here (and a few more!). However a few sites have said its down to training and often its because behaviour that just wouldn't be tolerated in a big dog (such as jumping up) is allowed in a toy dog - the problem is its dominant behaviour and toy dogs have the same pack mentality as big dogs so will snap and yap because they think they are boss (would be interested to see what kells beels thinks about this as an owner).

I wouldnt consider getting a big or mendium dog at all, I am quite nervous of dogs really and so is one of my children, I think a little dog would be ok for us both and might do us a lot of good! I would definately need to find obedience classes and probably get all the kids involved too - my two eldest are desperate to get a dog and are set on getting something big as soon as they can (that'll be when they move out then!) so I think it would be a good learning experience for them.

The pups havent been born yet so shouldnt be coming with too much emotional baggage, they are not being rehomed because of mistreatment. I havent seen the parents but a friend knows them.

I am a bit nervous about a dog around mindees but I dont really want it locked up all day either, tbh I think these are my biggest worries. Do those of you with dogs have space for the dog to be alone all day or do they wander round the house and get involved with the kids?

I believe its nearly is always down to training, understanding the breed, the hierrarchy and dominance/pack thing. So do your research, book into dog training classes, speak to the experts (vets etc) and get as much info as you can.

If the pup are not born yet - make sure you see the mum - what is the mum like with her pups, with people around her/her pups, is she friendly and even tempered. go and visit a few times. chances are that if you are getting a pup from 'fresh' then I would say you are on a good road to success.

just to add I have a small dog - a jack russell (they too have a 'rep') - in actual fact though she is the most wonderful lady you could wish to meet. We had her pre-children (our own) and ergo pre-childminding - she has never bothered with the minded kids, she is not a yappy snappy dog - we never allowed her to be, she is not a lap or handbag dog... again never allowed her to be. She is very much part of the family nevertheless she is a dog and we treated her as such... she is not a toy, she is not human.
We got our other dog through the rescue centre and she is a bigger lunatic dog but again she is soft as anything with the kids.

AliceK
16-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Up until a few months ago I had a lab / lurcher cross but he was very old. There was no way he would stand for being kept apart from any of us so he would usually lay down in the middle of all the chaos and noise and sleep. He was great with children as he had been bought up with children although I always teach all children to respect animals and be gentle. We are getting our new puppy in 3 weeks time :clapping: , a Springer Spaniel. I'm planning on getting him a crate which will be his retreat and his place to go if he wants to and no children will be allowed to climb in there etc and they will know to leave him be if he's in there. Hopefully he won't destroy my house like my last dog did when he was a puppy. He had terrible seperation anxiety and destroyed carpets, floors, doors etc for 2 very long years. But now I know all about this and how to prevent it so hopefully won't have any repeat of it.

xxxx

gigglinggoblin
16-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Awwww @ little treasures retriever!

Its nice to hear about a non snappy Jack Russell, I havent heard much good about them so it does reinforce the idea its down to training. I have been reading some small dog forum posts (on another site) and the posts on there are all the things the advice says not to do and wondering why they have snapped, growled etc.

I would have a crate, can they sleep in them all night? Bit worried about the cats eating a dog so small! Idea they might chew the house up is also a bit worrying.

I was wondering how to stop the mindees tripping over or sitting on it, I read sitting in a high up position and looking down is a pack leader position and so not a good idea. It all sounds terribly complicated, the cats are so much easier!

PixiePetal
16-05-2011, 01:28 PM
we have a jack russell cross terrier - got longer legs than JR and mostly black!

she is now17 months old, she has a crate for sleep and down time. I don't let her wander when mindees are here as I have a crawler and others under 2 who would be at her all the time and no doubt she would get annoyed! safer for all.

DH takes her to work a lot of the time though - he works on our farm where we live. She is a trained ratter but also family pet who DD 17 has taught to do tricks - watch out BGT :laughing:

when I just have older mindees in hols, she is about with us - they love her, especially the tricks :thumbsup: Never left alone with children - ever.

kells_bells
16-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I think its in all dogs nature to try and dominate the pack, without sounding harsh Bella knows she is bottom in our pack. she's still loved but never allowed to dominate over m or the children. Food training was the hardest for me, I had to remove her bowl half way through until she stopped showing her snaggle tooth lol. She's never fed off the plates scraps are take into the kitchen then back out to her bowl, she does hoover round the table at dinner tim though :rolleyes: she's not allowed on the couch unless she with me, but I have found dog hair on he cushion in the morning :laughing: I never took her to any classes but she is amazing at agility, jumps through the kids hula hoops, over and under poles and in and out of cones. Her recall is amazing even when my niece took he for a walk she was at th full extension on her lead so she can walk next to us.
They need crating, my breeder recommended a cat carrier lol, i thought i was a bit tight so I got a medium sized crate. It gives them security and they like their own bedroom. We tried to just have her in her bed but Bella sleeps much better in one the door is never closed now though.

Although you can get a general idea of temperament from breed guides as others have said it's totally down to training, look at the press staffies get and all the ones I know are darlings! I think Bella is a smashing dog but her boyfriend biscuit is a brat! His owners are elderly an treat him like a baby not a dog :D

TheBTeam
16-05-2011, 04:11 PM
First and foremost I think you need to consider what you can handle, and how prepared you are to put the dog into the consideration for every day of their life till they are potentially 15 years old, you will need to make time to walk it at least twice a day and even though it is a small dog they still need the stimulation of training, play, and exercise.

A lot of a dogs behaviour is down to training and the consistency of the owner, this can be hard to get right in a puppy being on hand enough to get them outside for toilet training etc when you have babies/small children around.

I did it with my springer pup, but then most of the time my husband was around as well.

I think if you do get a pup a crate is a good idea, it gives them somewhere safe to go when you are busy, can be good for them to have their space and gives a clear boundary to the children that is the dogs home and we keep their water in the crate etc which stops the children touching.

Our dogs are sometimes around the children and sometimes separate depending on how the dogs are behaving and what the children are doing.

We now have a 10 month old springer (our first) and a 13 month old also, and it is just lovely, something i thought i couldnt combine with minding, but then we have two adults around most of every day, we do some walks with the children and some without.

I did notify OFSTED by phone, they werent interested unless it was a 'dangerous dog' (one on the register of dangerous dogs and the ones you are banned from keeping!:eek: like i would have phoned them!!!:rolleyes: ) They said i should have a risk assessment in place, and i also state children are not left unsupervised with the dogs.

I did however follow it up with a letter just to cover me and I got a letter saying no problem, and have since had an inspection with both dogs here.

teacake2
16-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I only live in a very small house and so decided on pugs, they are inbetween size wise and need a lot of training as they think they are leaders of the pack all the time and the bengal cat I have likes to think he is in their pack as well. They had a pen when puppies to keep them safe and secure and are kept in the living room with us during the day behind a large extended gate across the living room/dining room divide.
I have always had dogs with flat faces, basically because I was attacked by a long nosed dog as a young child and it is one of those things that has always stuck with me. It is just my preference and I have no problems being around all types of dog just as long as they are not in my house (I was attacked in my friend's house).
Teacake2

Trouble
16-05-2011, 07:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

what did the mum say?

missnaughty
16-05-2011, 07:47 PM
My friend has one, I dont mean to sound harsh as not all dogs are the same but my friends dog is a little dog with little dog syndrome. Yappy yappy yappy all the time.

It also all depends on how you bring the dog up will you have it from a puppy etc etc etc. I have had a lab that I got from a shelter it was 9months however that attacked me. But my friend has one that is lovely. so all dogs and all makes can be good or bad.

I have a standard poodle now and she is so so so placid and lovely and loves children however I would still never say I would 100% trust any dog even mine.

I am always cautious with any dog or pets near children. :D

kells_bells
16-05-2011, 07:57 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

what did the mum say?

Bella always greets this mum playfully as she gets lots of attention of her. She was playing with her and my dog got way too excited and peed, mum laughed, I couldn't apologise enough whilst running for the mop and dettol surface wipes.
She was very understanding, I was mortified :D

mushpea
16-05-2011, 08:01 PM
i would never have a small dog,, sorry to all those little dog owners but i have always found them to be snappy and yappy and have witnesed a jack russle x chiwowa bit a child before.
we have a black lab and he is fab,, when we go for walks he is like a pup again, loopy and nutty , he is 5.5yrs old and in the house all he does is either sleep in his bed or in his kennel although this is manily due to training,, at the end of the day he sticks his head round the living room door to check there are no mindees, if there are he goes back in his bed, if not he comes in the living room,, the children know if hes in his bed he is to be left alone,, he gets an hours walk at 5,30am and then half hour walk around 6.30pm then at weekends we go further, his amount of excersise is down to the routine we have and its what he's used to. I have to say i dont think I would have another dog when he eventualy goes because I dont think I would find one as laid back and lovley as him but they are out there im sure
a lot of people are under the impression that small dogs need less excersise which is defintatly not trure,, a jack russle is of working bread and could go the same or longer as a lab,, springers are my favourite breed and what i would have liked but I knew we wouldnt be able to give it the excersise it needed,, they are defintaly of working breed and need good long walks each day, I have seen them work as gun dogs and they just dont stop! some owners complain about their loopyness well thats because they are just not excersied enough,
anyway I would have a bigger dog over a smaller dog anyday.

PixiePetal
16-05-2011, 08:11 PM
i would never have a small dog,, sorry to all those little dog owners but i have always found them to be snappy and yappy and have witnesed a jack russle x chiwowa bit a child before.
we have a black lab and he is fab,, when we go for walks he is like a pup again, loopy and nutty , he is 5.5yrs old and in the house all he does is either sleep in his bed or in his kennel although this is manily due to training,, at the end of the day he sticks his head round the living room door to check there are no mindees, if there are he goes back in his bed, if not he comes in the living room,, the children know if hes in his bed he is to be left alone,, he gets an hours walk at 5,30am and then half hour walk around 6.30pm then at weekends we go further, his amount of excersise is down to the routine we have and its what he's used to. I have to say i dont think I would have another dog when he eventualy goes because I dont think I would find one as laid back and lovley as him but they are out there im sure
a lot of people are under the impression that small dogs need less excersise which is defintatly not trure,, a jack russle is of working bread and could go the same or longer as a lab,, springers are my favourite breed and what i would have liked but I knew we wouldnt be able to give it the excersise it needed,, they are defintaly of working breed and need good long walks each day, I have seen them work as gun dogs and they just dont stop! some owners complain about their loopyness well thats because they are just not excersied enough,
anyway I would have a bigger dog over a smaller dog anyday.

we have had 3 Labs over the years - Charley was the best with children - she was bought for me by my boss for my 21st birthday present when I was a live in nanny :)
I agree that some people take on dogs not knowing their needs for exercise/stimulation and they can get so bored - a Lab is very easy going usually :thumbsup: Our terrier is great with the kids but if she were with me all day she would be bores brainless - she goes on the tractors with DH, ratting and sniffing about. In the evenings she gets under the duvet with DD :rolleyes: and becomes soppy dog. On days when DH can't take her she has a rest with me and the children :)

littletreasures
16-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Luckily Mum was ok although understandably a bit upset.

It took F quite a bit of time to get over it though. Would scream if this dog came near her if we went to the park

My lab is great. When another of my mindees was about 2 and just leRning to talk he would look at Bailey and point to the bed and say Bailey, Bed and off the dog would trot. J would then follow and lie on the bed with him :)

gigglinggoblin
17-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I know labs have a great reputation as a family dog but I read not long ago that they are responsible for the most bitten children seen by a&e so I wouldnt get one and rely on its temperament any more than I would a small dog. I know this could be down to all sorts of things, owners relying on the reputation that they are good with kids, more of them in family homes because of reputation etc but I would have the same worries over a big dog as a small with the added concern that we dont have enough room for a big dog to be out of the way and they can do more damage than a little dog. It really has to be a tiny dog if we get one at all. (I am not having a go at the lab owners btw!)