View Full Version : help with figures

16-05-2011, 08:31 AM
OK....am being completely and totally thick and can't get my head around it.

A parent has requested a weekly figure to give to tax credits. Problem I am having is that her weekly rate changes regularly.

She started with me on 5 September and I have them term-time only and I can't for the life of me figure out how to work it out

Hubbie is not around at the moment and I need to get it to her this afternoon.

So say for example from Sep to 5 April she paid me £3,050 in total, how do I work out this weekly rate?

16-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Well it would just be that figure divided into weeks, but if figure changes from week to week I am not sure what she would give tax credits as her childcare costs. She would need to explain this to them and see what they say.

16-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Term time only is 39 weeks a year, each term roughly 13 weeks each.

September to April is two terms, so 26 weeks.

So I'd make it £3050/26 = £117.30 per week average childcare cost.

However, I would have thought it was the responsibility of the parent to do the working out, as the info to do this should have been included in her Tax Credits application pack!

16-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I would give her a recipt on headed paper with the amounts she paid you each week and let her sort it out from there,, I have been in this situation and this is what I did and the parent sent this to the tax credits who then worked out how much to pay her each week from the recpit

16-05-2011, 12:03 PM
i think that she is going to try to pull a fast one....she doesn't want me to break it down weekly; she wants a letter simply stating "X pays me XX per week", but she doesn't pay me 52 weeks of the year so didn't know what to put.

How do I word it?

16-05-2011, 12:20 PM
it's tricky cos you havent been paid for a whole year. You need to roughly work out what she pays you a week during term time x that by the amount of of term time weeks then divide this by 52. This will give you an average of her weekly costs over the year. She will get whatever amount you give by tax credits so you can't put x amount term time only as she will be getting that during schools hols aswell. Hope this makes some sense. x

Or..... if you take the figure of what she has paid you divide that by the amount of weeks you've had the children.... which will you give you x amount times that by the amount of term time weeks in a year then divide by 52.
This sounds better I think x