PDA

View Full Version : Caring for child with croup/chest infection?

Starfish007
15-05-2011, 06:51 PM
HI Ladies, I'm in need of some advice please. A child's mum has just text me saying her lo has been to the doctors who said he has a chest infection but it is probably croup, said she wants to keep child at home tomorrow but should be fine for Tuesday. I know these conditions are infectious but what do I do if child turns up on Tuesday coughing, they have brought child before when he has been poorly so wouldn't be surprised if they did this Tuesday.
Any advice greatly appreciated xxx

blue bear
15-05-2011, 08:49 PM
If it's a chest infection have they had antibiotics? Usually after a couple of days of medicine child is much improved and ok to come if well enough to join in normal activities and no raised temp etc.

For croup treatment is cold air and damp cloths on radiators at night, it's very contagious but only in under 3's so if I have other under 3's I say they can only come back when cough is gone but no exclusion if I don't have other under 3's

The Juggler
15-05-2011, 08:51 PM
i've had a child with croup and chest infections once they are on meds and temp is down. usually they feel better in 24 hours hon :)

Trouble
15-05-2011, 09:00 PM
What is croup? What causes it?

Croup is an infectious illness of the respiratory system involving the voice box and vocal cords (larynx), windpipe (trachea), and the airways leading to the lungs (bronchial tubes). It is usually caused by many different viruses, including those responsible for the common cold and influenza. Occasionally, it is caused by a bacterial infection. Croup can result in serious breathing difficulties in children. It is more common in babies over 6 months of age and young children, and it occurs more often in boys than girls. It tends to occur more often in the winter months when the weather is colder.

Is croup contagious?

Croup is contagious, and it is usually spread by airborne infectious droplets sneezed or coughed into the air by infected children. When infectious droplets are inhaled by a healthy child, symptoms can develop in two to three days. The infection can also be spread by infected mucus deposited on doors, furniture, toys, and other objects. A healthy child can become infected by accidentally touching the infectious mucus and transferring the infection into his/her mouth.

What are the symptoms of croup?

Approximately two or three days after being infected, the child notices increasing hoarseness and sore throat. A hacking "croupy" cough develops which sounds like a barking seal and becomes worse at night. Gagging and vomiting can occur with coughing. The cough is usually accompanied by a fever (100.4 to 104 degrees F; 38 to 40 degrees C). The infection causes swelling of the larynx and impairs air passage. A harsh crowing sound ("stridor") during inhaling can be heard when the child's air passage becomes abnormally narrowed. If this should occur, immediate evaluation by a physician is recommended. Even though most children with croup are cared for at home, those with breathing difficulties, high fever, or dehydration may need to be hospitalized. Infants with croup are grumpy, tired, and have poor appetites. The major part of the illness lasts for three days. A wet cough can continue for another two weeks. It is also possible to acquire the infection more than once.

if the child still has the croup noise i would ask them to stay at home but if the noise croup has gone then i would say there fine to come back

some kids are fine asfter a couple of days but some are not

nokidshere
15-05-2011, 09:38 PM
If it's a chest infection have they had antibiotics? Usually after a couple of days of medicine child is much improved and ok to come if well enough to join in normal activities and no raised temp etc.

For croup treatment is cold air and damp cloths on radiators at night, it's very contagious but only in under 3's so if I have other under 3's I say they can only come back when cough is gone but no exclusion if I don't have other under 3's

Usually in children under 3 but not always! I raced my 10 year old to the Drs because he was having difficulty breathing to be told that he had croup and, that whilst most people associate it with toddlers it is very common in boys across the board. :eek: :(

alwaysright
15-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Usually in children under 3 but not always! I raced my 10 year old to the Drs because he was having difficulty breathing to be told that he had croup and, that whilst most people associate it with toddlers it is very common in boys across the board. :eek: :(

my daughter who's 9 has had it this week, i did keep her off school for a couple of days but i did ask the doctor if she could go to school and was told yes as its just as infectious as a cold, she went on to say would you keep her off for a cold??
i think after a few days i would probably accept but just be aware of the stridor noise because they then need urgent medical treatment like steriods, sorry i should add i would only accept with no temp and if the child is well initself

Starfish007
16-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Thankyou so much for all your advice, found it really useful. He was with me on Thursday of last week when the barking sound started, then parent took him to doctors on Friday so maybe he will be ok by tomorrow.

Thanks again for the advice, this forum is fab xxx