PDA

View Full Version : My Ofsted Report

ma7ie
28-04-2008, 02:55 PM
My Ofsted report has just been published on their site. Bit miffed about the satisfactory on staying safe section. She asked me what I would do if I suspected a child was being abused. I explained that it would depend on what I thought was happening to the child. My network co-ordinator had told me that there was a child protection officer based at the children's centre so if I had any concerns to go to them first but Ofsted said that I had to go straight to the Local Safeguarding Children's board regardless of the problem. Now it looks like I'm thick with the wording she has used.

My network co-ordinator is looking into it because their procedures do not correspond with Ofsteds and now look who's suffered :angry:

I've removed my ref number and Inspector's name.

Inspection report for early years provision
Unique Reference Number
Inspection date 16 April 2008
Inspector Type of inspection Childcare
Type of care Childminding

About this inspection
The purpose of this inspection is to assure government, parents and the public of the quality of childcare and, if applicable, of nursery education. The inspection was carried out under Part XA Children Act 1989 as introduced by the Care Standards Act 2000 and, where nursery education is provided, under Schedule 26 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.

This report details the main strengths and any areas for improvement identified during the inspection. The judgements included in the report are made in relation to the outcomes for children set out in the Children Act 2004; the National Standards for under 8s day care and childminding; and, where nursery education is provided, the Curriculum guidance for the foundation stage.

The report includes information on any complaints about the childcare provision which Ofsted has received since the last inspection or registration or 1 April 2004 whichever is the later.

The key inspection judgements and what they mean
Outstanding:
this aspect of the provision is of exceptionally high quality
Good:
this aspect of the provision is strong
Satisfactory:
this aspect of the provision is sound
Inadequate:
this aspect of the provision is not good enough
For more information about early years inspections, please see the booklet Are you ready for your inspection? which is available from Ofsted's website: www.ofsted.gov.uk.

THE QUALITY AND STANDARDS OF THE CARE
On the basis of the evidence collected on this inspection:

The quality and standards of the care are good. The registered person meets the National Standards for under 8s day care and childminding.

WHAT SORT OF SETTING IS IT?
The childminder has been registered since 2007. She lives in a semi detached house with her husband, grown-up child and child aged two years. She is within walking distance of the local amenities. She uses the ground floor for childminding which includes the lounge, dining area and kitchen. Children use the first floor to access the toilet and a bedroom for sleeping. There is a fully enclosed garden available for outside play. The family has a pet cat. The childminder visits the local toddler group on a regular basis. She is a member of the National Childminding Association and the local childminding network. The childminder is registered to care for five children at any one time and is currently minding one child, who attends on a part time basis.

THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PROVISION
Helping children to be healthy
The provision is good. Children are well nourished and enjoy a variety of nutritious meals and snacks which incorporates a good range of fruit and vegetables as highlighted in the childminder's sample menus. Lunchtime is a relaxed social occasion where children select from a choice of pitta bread, crackers, cheese, olives, avocados and a variety of fruit. Children access regular drinks throughout the day including the option of water. Discussions with parents establish the children's dietary needs and there are clear systems in place to record these.

Children are developing a good understanding of personal hygiene as they wipe their hands before their lunch, after they have had their nappies changed and after playing outside. The childminder demonstrates that children are cared for appropriately if they have an accident or need medication. There are clear written procedures to follow if the children become ill. The parents complete a record of the children's individual needs which includes their daily routines and enables the childminder to sensitively ensure children have appropriate rest or sleep. Younger children are developing emotional well-being through strong and effective relationships.

Children are able to enjoy physical activity by regular access to the outdoor area, visits to the soft play area and trips to the park. Resources in the outdoor area include a playhouse, a slide, wheeled toys, sand pit and tunnel and there is a small trampoline within the home; all of which support the children's physical development.

Protecting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe
The provision is satisfactory. Children are cared for in a warm, safe and secure environment where risks are identified and minimised, which enables children to move safely and independently within the home. Annual risk assessments and a formal daily checklist ensure the childminder is vigilant about the safety of children in her care. Children are learning about keeping safe through clear explanations about why they should not put pasta into their mouths or climb on the furniture. Clear evacuation procedures and regular fire practises which are effectively evaluated reinforce the children's understanding of fire safety.

The childminder is providing a comfortable and welcoming environment for the children in her care with resources attractively arranged within the lounge and dining room. Children access a good range of toys and resources which are appropriate for all ages of children and actively support play and learning. Resources are arranged to enable children to make independent choices of what they are going to play with.

The childminder has attended training on safeguarding children and has a written child protection policy which parents sign to say they have read. Although the childminder is confident she can recognise possible signs and symptoms of abuse she lacks understanding of some of the procedures to follow.

Helping children achieve well and enjoy what they do
The provision is outstanding. Children demonstrate a high interest and are eager to become involved in a wide range of activities. The childminder plans a versatile range of activities to enhance the children's learning which is linked to their individual learning. The children's 'learning journey' includes weekly observations which clearly identify the children's future learning. The journal is a selection of written observations and photographic records of their individual progression and learning. Examples of children's artwork are included which highlights the children's involvement with a variety of media and materials.

Children are actively involved in exploring a good range of pasta in a large bowl as they enjoy using their senses to feel the different types of pasta, putting it into different containers such as bun cases and pots. They use a variety of different of spoons and utensils to stir the pasta and the childminder encourages the children to experiment which size of pasta will pour out of the toy tea pot. The childminder discusses which pasta is bigger and encourages children to recognise the colours and includes the children in tidying the activity away using small brushes and shovels. Children are confident within the routines of the setting as they immediately move a small table as the childminder introduces the play dough. The childminder reinforces the children's early language skills as they successfully say 'tractor' by repeating the word and finding a book of tractors to support the achievement. Children respond with delight as the childminder produces a copy of a television character to colour, running around the room repeating the name. They snuggle up to the childminder and listen entranced to a short story.

The children's learning is significantly enhanced by the childminder's skilful support and effective interaction. The childminder encourages children to achieve and responds with positive praise and encouragement. The children's learning experience is supported by interesting visits to the park and feeding the ducks and swans.

Helping children make a positive contribution
The provision is good. Parents receive comprehensive information about the care the childminder provides in a very detailed portfolio which ensures they are well informed of the policies and procedures that have been produced. The childminder has developed a very useful information and question format to use at first interviews with parents to effectively support the care of the children and establish and share expectations. The ongoing needs of the children are shared informally at the end of the day supported by the completion of the learning journey or diary which includes activities children have participated in.

Children behave well in response to the calm and consistent response from the childminder. The childminder has developed a written behaviour policy which incorporates the simple ground rules within the home. Children play harmoniously with the variety of activities and the childminder encourages children to share resources whilst playing with the pasta and the play dough. Younger children are developing self-assurance from exploration within close relationships.

Children are developing an understanding of diversity through resources which include a doll, small world figures, books, toy utensils and jigsaws. The participation in activities such as Chinese New Year and Easter enhances their understanding of their own and other people's cultures. Children's individual needs are met through discussion with parents and are included in very detailed records to ensure appropriate care can be given.

Organisation
The organisation is outstanding. An excellent range of documentation contributes significantly to promoting the welfare, care and learning of children. This includes a comprehensive range of policies and procedures which are clearly presented in her personal portfolio. Thoughtful management of time enables the children to attend the local toddler group and go on visits in the local area to broaden the children's learning experiences. The childminder has an extremely positive attitude to training and has attended a variety of short courses and is beginning a level 3 qualification in child care which contributes significantly to the children's well-being. Children's care is enhanced by the effective organisation of her home and resources which contributes to their confidence in extending their play and learning.

Overall, the provision meets the needs of the range of the children for whom it provides.

Improvements since the last inspection
Not applicable.

Complaints since the last inspection
Since registration there have been no complaints made to Ofsted that required the provider or Ofsted to take any action in order to meet the National Standards.

The provider is required to keep a record of complaints made by parents, which they can see on request. The complaints record may contain complaints other than those made to Ofsted.

THE QUALITY AND STANDARDS OF THE CARE
On the basis of the evidence collected on this inspection:

The quality and standards of the care are good. The registered person meets the National Standards for under 8s day care and childminding.

WHAT MUST BE DONE TO SECURE FUTURE IMPROVEMENT?
The quality and standards of the care
To improve the quality and standards of care further the registered person should take account of the following recommendation(s):

improve the understanding of procedures to follow if concerned about a child in accordance with the Local Safeguarding Children Board.

mrsbumbles
28-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Thats a really good report Marie :clapping:

And i think as fair as safegaurding children is concerned, your reply was acceptable, as long as actions are taken i think your responsablilites as a childminder are met!

I had an issue with safegaurding children in my care, and when i came face to face with the real thing, the first thing i did was call my developement worker for help and back up, she then pointed me in the right directions and backed me up all the way. I dont think there a wrong or right answer to this, as long as the proceedure is put in place and the correct peple are contacted, i dont see that it matters who is first contact, as long as contact has been made.

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree with Donna and its a shame your inspector made such a big issue of this

I can understand you not being happy about it

But ...........

Your report is fanatastic Marie look at all her nice comments

You did really well its lovely

Angel xx

ma7ie
28-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Thats a really good report Marie :clapping:

I had an issue with safegaurding children in my care, and when i came face to face with the real thing, the first thing i did was call my developement worker for help and back up, she then pointed me in the right directions and backed me up all the way. I dont think there a wrong or right answer to this, as long as the proceedure is put in place and the correct peple are contacted, i dont see that it matters who is first contact, as long as contact has been made.

She told me that under no circumstances could I tell anybody else other than the Safeguarding Children Team because it would be breaking confidentiality. My network co-ordinator says that's news to her because their procedures are to support us with things like this and they are there to help childminders with such problems. Won't help me now but they are looking into it because when they rang the child protection team they agreed with me so just waiting for it in writing now then I can put it with my child protection policy.

I am pleased with everything else don't get me wrong but I'm just frustrated.

emler
28-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Congrats on a fab report Marie :clapping:

Emler x

mrsbumbles
28-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Its such a frightening position to be , that without my developementment worker to talk it through with, i think i would have had a break down :panic: It made me feel really ill !!!!

And if i felt i couldnt talk to my development worker about these sort of situations in the future, i would probablily be reluctant to make further referals in the future:panic:

My development worker was going to put in place someone to accompany to any meetings, i would have to attend or be present at my setting if need be as back up and support.

ma7ie
28-04-2008, 03:40 PM
This is exactly what my network co-ordinator said to me Donna. In the past another childminder had issues regarding this and it made her so ill with the worry of it all.

Spangles
28-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I agree with everything everyone else has said. First thing I'd do is give my dev officer a ring too for a second opinion which would be quickly followed up with a call as she suggested.

Anyway, apart from that section (which is no fault of yours) it is a fantastic report and I would be more than happy to put my son with you after reading it!

Love the sound of the pasta activity! Might do that myself when I get my inspection!

mumtodaniel
28-04-2008, 05:26 PM
lovely report, although I do understand your frustrations I would dwell too much as you are obviously excellent at what you do and I am sure your parents know that.

ChocolateChip
29-04-2008, 01:23 AM
There are some lovely comments in there about the children being entranced by your story telling, etc, that is agreat report and as mumtodaniel just said, your parents and lo's are obviously happy with you, well done!
:laughing:

crazybones
29-04-2008, 05:59 AM
You should be proud. Lovely report. Well done. :clapping:

flora
29-04-2008, 08:22 AM
You should be very pleased with such a great report.
Fustrating when they focus on something that you thought was ok though.

As Angel said look at how many positive things were said. Well done !!!:clapping: