View Full Version : evening care/babysitting

13-05-2011, 02:59 PM
To earn a little extra, and to help out the parents of the children I care for - I am thinking of offering evening/night care/ babysitting for exising mindees only.
What do I need to organise to do this if;
a) it's in my home
b) it's at the child's home

Do I need to inform ofsted? Insurance provider etc?

What do people normally charge? One Mum said she thought friends of hers getting paid £6 per hour for babysitting was expensive! I thought it sounded quite reasonable.


13-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi, if you aren't already allowed to care for children overnight then you will need to contact Ofsted about amending your certificate. I believe they ask a local fire safelt officer to come and inspect your premises.

In their home, you don't need to to anything. Though if you are with NCMA insurance then they cover you as well to babysit in other peoples homes. I have been DH was made redundant last month! And yes they do go on my tax return :-(

13-05-2011, 04:43 PM
For your NCMA (if you're with them) insurance to be valid for babysitting you must use their babysitting check-list.

Pixie dust
13-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Babysitting is something I have been thinking about as losing my 2 full timers in 2 weeks and not getting any inquiries even though been advertising everywhere!

Anyway are any of you registered with a babysitting agency as have seen one on the internet and wondered if its worth it?

PS sorry for hijacking this thread