PDA

View Full Version : Baby that won't sleep - help!

juslh
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Hiya. I've got a baby just turned 1 who I have had for 6 weeks now. He naps well at home, morning and afternoon for 90 mins or sometimes just once for 2 and a half hours. However, he will not do anything like that with me. I am lucky if he does an hour, often a lot less than that, despite being absolutely shattered. The room is dark, he is warm, quiet. He has his cuddly toy that he has at home. I think I am spotting the sleep cues, plus mum normally tells me ehat sort of time he should go down in the morning. But nope, won't give in.

Unfortunately he never sleeps in the buggy or even the car seat (mum warned me!) so no joy that way.

Any tips, or is it still just early(ish) days with him?

sarah707
12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Oh gosh he must be so tired! :(

I am lucky all of mine have taken to the buggy and I pop them outside and off they go.

I think you need to have another chat with mum and see if she has any suggestions... maybe he needs her smell? Or ignoring if he is just grumbling?

Good luck :D

Ripeberry
12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
If you don't have any other mindees at the same time, do you think he will nod off in the car if you go for a drive or go for a walk?

I've got a 16 month old mindee who will ONLY sleep whilst we drive, so thankfully I don't have any other mindees at the same time so I go for a drive, she will nod off within 5-10 mins then I park up and sit in the car reading a paper or doing some paperwork whilst she naps.
It can be as long as 90 mins sometimes. But as I have her for a long day (10hrs) she does need this nap or the afternoon is hellish.

Baildon bears
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I really sympathise with you after spending 7am till 4.30 with my 1 year old mindee who would not sleep, I'm exusted, I tried everything even walked him to tescos which is quite a long walk but no joy, he's just to curious at the moment, he was sleeping lovely until the the Easter hols.

miffy
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Will he sit in the buggy quietly while you potter about - I used to do this with one of mine who wouldn't settle in the travel cot, I'd strap them in the buggy and then do the washing up - must have bored them silly - they were asleep before I'd finished! :D

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
12-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I have two just one year olds, one I have had since the beginning of March and I tried all sorts of things and then discovered this week that if I put the radio on low on a music channel, cradled him for a little before putting him in the cot he slept for 2.5 hours yesterday :clapping: Did the same with another one that I have had longer, but has become a bit of a problem to settle even though you can see hes shattered. He slept for 3 hours today :clapping:

handeme
13-05-2011, 06:09 AM
My one year old mindee is exactly the same although thankfully he will sleep in the buggy.

The only thing my mindee does is, he is playing happily then as if he has been struck down by the tiredness fairy in an instant he is screaming the shouting becuase he is tired but 1 min previously he is happily playing.

I thought I had made an improvement on the sleeping front, when he first came it took me 40 mins rocking him in the buggy. Monday of this week he was down to five but yesterday back up again!!! His tirdness varies to so if yesterday he went to sleep at 10, today he may want to go at 9.

Does Ofsted worry if you put or leave a baby to sleep outside when your playing inside?

c x