PDA

View Full Version : Returning to childminding..

GrannyMurray
12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to post as I have been a childminder before so if its not, I do apologise in advance! Basically, I registered in 2001, started working in 2003 but then stopped in 2005. I cancelled my registration in 2006 due to relocating and having HUGE amounts of work needing doing to my new house. When I cancelled the lady on the phone said all I'd need to do is to ring them again to start up again - but surely that can't happen when it was 6yrs ago (and the last inspection was in a different house/area - although still the same county).

I have emailed the childrens and families information service which is where my county council tell me to contact if I want to begin childminding but have not heard back yet. I will give them a call tomorrow if I still don't get a reply.

But has anyone else done this?

Am I likely to need to do the introductory training again (also considering I am a nursery nurse and am currently working in a pre-school)?

I am due to do my first aid training in June with my current work so that would be done. I guess I still need to get health checks etc done as it was so many years ago I did it the first time?

Now I've made the decision to start up again I am ITCHING to get going but know it may well be a long drawn out process.

Any advice/experiences would be grateful.

Thanks x x x

tulip0803
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
From what I understand you will have to do the registration course again as it now includes info on EYFS.

I moved from England to Wales and have heard that if I move back to England I will be treated as a new childminder and have to do the courses again despite working as a childminder in Wales now. When I moved to Wales they contemplated me doing my ICP again despite me completeing the full certificate in Childminding Practice just before I moved.

I had to go to a briefing session to tell me about childminding before I could do anything else - even though I knew all about minding and had been doing it a few years:rolleyes:

Your FIS will confirm things for you as registration seems to vary a bit county to county.

Penny1959
13-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Hello

I have recently returned to childminder after a break of 7 years (during which time I worked for NCMA and LA - so never really left childminding but was the other side of the fence) - and I had to do everything including all the training which was a laugh as I used to devilver pre reg and introductory courses including ICP.

So sorry - rules are rules and a lot has changed since you (and I) were last childminding - there are a lot more requirements and huge amounts of paperwork. However I am glad I did return to childminding - hope you will be too.

Penny :)