PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.......

Toothfairy
12-05-2011, 07:25 AM
I have a 16m old boy, two mornings a week. He is new, only been with me a couple of months. He cries and screams when being dropped off but he is always laughing and playing happily 5 mins later.

Today, I took him from Dad and was holding him in my arms, Dad was kissing him goodbye. Mindee was sreaming and crying as usual when mindee suddenly lent back and took a big swing and slapped me around the face.

I was a bit stunned and Dad was mortified.

Anyway my question is......Do I write it up as an incident, ignore it, make a note of it in the Daily Diary??

I am happy to let it go, I wasn't hurt just a bit taken aback and I know it was just temper as he was upset, so I don't want to make a fuss.

What would you do?

Helen79
12-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Have you got an individual risk assessment for the child. Maybe write it up on there.
Maybe suggest to dad that he gives his kisses and cuddles before he hands him over to you, and then a quick goodbye. Hope it doesn't happen again

Tina O
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I would write it up as an incident uncase it is the start of a developing pattern... hopefully not... but if it does continue you need a proper record of when it started... xx

kindredspirits
12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
i don't think you need to write it up as an incident as the child is so young - and it was directed at you not another child.
i would also suggest that dad makes drop off as quick as possible, quick kiss and a see you later - then shut the door. this will help mindee avoid that horrible seperation moment.

Tina O
12-05-2011, 09:06 AM
i don't think you need to write it up as an incident as the child is so young - and it was directed at you not another child.
i would also suggest that dad makes drop off as quick as possible, quick kiss and a see you later - then shut the door. this will help mindee avoid that horrible seperation moment.

I understand your comments Kindredspirits but aren't we as important as the children and shouldn't get hit either, yes I agree age is a factor but would still note it. x

Katiekoo
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
They can be strong can't they!
I had a child who would have paddys at drop off time and once or twice flung himself to head butt me, we were handing over at the door each day as Mum was rushed. After some thought we changed hand over a bit so she actually brought lo in the house let him down to start playing and then she would say bye bye leaving him to play.
Now we hand over at the door and mostly it's fine but when he looks like he's a bit grumpy we come in the house.
Don't know what else you can do really!

kindredspirits
12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I understand your comments Kindredspirits but aren't we as important as the children and shouldn't get hit either, yes I agree age is a factor but would still note it. x

i'm not saying that we're not important - but this 16 month old probably has no idea how much a hit can hurt, it was at a very stressful time for the child and not in the course of playing etc. and yes you want to avoid it happening again but in the interests of ofsted etc i don't think it needs to be recorded.

Mouse
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't record something like that as an incident. The parent was there, the child was upset, it's just one of those things.

Toothfairy
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone.

I just made a note of it in my CM diary and got Mum to initial it when she picked up at lunch time.

They are both very good at drop off, they come in, put bag down, hand 'O' to me, kiss him, say goodbye and leave.

I just need to learn to duck quicker :D