PDA

View Full Version : Are babysitters allowed to do after school childcare?

jumpinjen
12-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Hi..... are there amy hard and fast rules about what baby sitters without registration/qualifications/first aid etc are allowed to offer as there is one advertising on my local netmums for after school childcare...... just wondered, thanks, Jen x

miffy
12-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Surely the for more than 2 hours a day for reward must come into it?

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't know.... as a teenager (17ish) I used to babysit for one of my old school teachers from 7pm til midnight when they went out and I wasn't registered...... I don't know what the legal side is but was a bit miffed to see someone competing with registered minders for after school care!

jen x

karen m
12-05-2011, 08:56 AM
i no things have changed for the better over the years regarding teens babysitting but i use to babysit for my parents friends from about 8 till 11.30 each saturday night ,i was 15,but then i never advertised

Mouse
12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I suppose it depends whether they're offering the care in their own home or in the child's home.

If they're offering it in their own home, they're not babysitters, but childminders and should probably register. Though if care is in the "babysitter's" own home, they wouldn't need to register if no child is there for more than 2 hours. If it's in the child's own home, they don't need to be registered.

I saw one on our netmums recently who said she was a babysitter. She had 2 pre-school children of her own, already looked after a 2 year old boy, but was able to offer more "babysitting" in her own home for under 5's :panic: She said she was a qualified teacher...oh well, that makes it alright then...not!