PDA

View Full Version : Parent coming tomorrow

NicoleW
11-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Had a lady text me earlier asking for childcare, so we exchanged a few messages and I get a real positive vibe from her. She lives directly opposite the school I pickup from which is great, I'm meeting her tomorrow morning after I've dropped off my LO and we'll be walking back to mine together.

What do I do when I get in, obviously make her a drink but should I already have things set out for her LO who is 6 and a half months old? I have LOADS of toys around that age as my little one is 12 months at the end of this month.

I also have my friends 3 year old who is... um... very inquisitive I'll put it. He has to touch every button he can find in my house so although I want to give this parent my undivided attention, I may have to ask this little boy a fair few times to leave things alone. How would I go about it so it doesn't put off this parent? And her thinking that I just tell kids what to do.
This wil be my first regular child if she says yes so I really want to make her feel welcome and to show off my childminding skills.

Any advice people can give me will be great, I was planning on getting some cars and colouring out for the little boy I have as I know he LOVES cars.

As her LO is 6 and a half months old I already have an Annabel Karmel book, would it be useful to show her when we're talking about her eating suggesting I could write down recipes for her to batch cook and bring to me?
I have some nice baby equipment like a Bumbo Seat and a Jumperoo as well which my one uses as she's quite behind developing. Panicking becausse I really need this, my OH is stressed a bit because I have no incoming money. Plus I LOVE babies, can't get enough of them!

I hope it's nice tomorrow because we can sit in the front garden and I can get some sand out for the boy to play with.

Oh another one, I have only a single pushchair but I have a moby wrap for my LO who still fits in it, the boy sometimes runs across roads or runs off (I've seen with his mum) but he does stop but only after you shout. Would it be worth putting him in the pushchair and my LO in my wrap for on the way back to mine from school?

missnaughty
11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi

I just want to wish you luck for tomorrow and I hope things go well. x

christine e
12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Gosh so many questions!

First of all try and relax. With regard to the 3 year old you say he touches a lot of buttons etc and needs telling to stop but you want to give this lady your undivided attention. She needs to see you interacting with the children so don't just concentrate on her, move the equipment the 3 year old meddles with out of reach if possible (remote controls etc) and try to distract him with the activiites (sounds great doing the cars if this is what he likes). As the lady is coming straight from school I would have a few toys set out but not too many as it could look cluttered (have the others in boxes so she can see you have a good selection), I would have a bit of a chat about weaning and how you use the Annabel Karmen book but really wait and see if mum wants you before saying how you would like her to make her own food and freeze and send to you. With regard to the 3 year old being put in the pushchair this could be a problem if he is not use to being in one, I would have a chat with him before hand and remind him that he must walk with you and hold on to the pushchair,

Good luck

Cx

NicoleW
12-05-2011, 09:06 AM
It didn't go very well :(

Oh well.. Back to constantly searching I go!

karen m
12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Sorry to hear it never went well,you don't say if it was 3 year old playing up or you just to nervous to concentrate, maybe parent really anxious about leaving lo just keep your chin up something will come along soon hopefully

Goatgirl
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
It didn't go very well :(

Oh well.. Back to constantly searching I go!

oh bless :(,
What went wrong? Anything you can learn from and take forward to the next meeting?!

It does take time and can be very frustrating waiting for your first good contracts to come along. Try not to take it personally either - not easy I know. From your initial post I'd say you sound lovely and well suited to childminding :)

hope some more enquiriescome along soon for you :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

NicoleW
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I've asked all parents I've seen I've asked for feedback and none of them have given me any :(

Going to phone this parent up next week I think and ask if she has decided yet and if no why etc