PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Children Shopping

Schnakes
20-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I saw another thread on another board that had a really interesting debate, so I thought I would ask the same question here:

Do you take your minded children shopping? If so - why? If not, why not?!

I personally try to do my "big" shop online but Im certainly not above taking the little ones to the supermarket to get my fresh stuff at least once a week. There are children I would take and children I wouldnt also. My babies, for example, I would take. I have a three year old boy who I wouldnt take in a million years. And so on and so forth!

So - is it the epitome of all evil to the the little ones shopping, or is it interesting and educational??? Or maybe both??!

Sx

Pipsqueak
20-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I take mine shopping. Obviously for my "big" shop I don;t that is done on personal time.

I think its a great educational and social opportunity to take children to the shops. I agree with you that there are some you do take and some you don;t but those children who are don'ts also need to learn why we do! :D

angeldelight
20-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I take mine shopping for whatever reason be it educational or because I just do not get the time sometimes starting at 7 in the morning and finishing at 7 in the evening

We have great fun - sometimes !!!

Angel xx

Schnakes
20-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah - I do a 12 hour day too...all these parents on this other website were getting well snitty - all like "do it in your own time". I think....I dont have any "own time"!!!

Seriously though, I went to a conference in September and the person that did the main talks was Penny Tassioni (I think thats how you spell her name?!) and she was saying that it benefits children to be part of adults lives, rather than visa versa and I agree.

Sx

Tily Bud
20-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I do take the minded children shopping - ive taken 4 under 4s before now with no problems ! One little girl I mind at the moment complains if we dont go to Tescos at some point in the week :rolleyes:

Cheryl x

Monkey1
20-12-2007, 09:30 PM
We always go! I have got special shopping list charts where we attatch pictures via velcro of the things that we need so the children can' help '

carolinel
20-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I always try to think how would I feel if I was the parent and my child was with a childminder.

I wouldn't mind if it was occasionally ie once a week, to get a few bits, but if it was a few times a week then I wouldn't be happy.

so.........

I do take mindees to shops, but am only out for an absolute maximum of 2 hours.

I do know someone who took one of her mindees christmas shopping, which personally I think is wrong. To take a little child rounds shops for a day when it's freezing cold and really busy when they'd rather be at home with a jigsaw or doing some colouring etc.

Blaze
20-12-2007, 09:35 PM
As above!
Tasha:)

emler
20-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I've got no problem taking the kiddies shopping. I wouldn't do my "big" shop with them for practical reasons but they all love a trip to the shops

Emler x

smartypants
20-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I take mine minded children shopping with me...

If we are doing arts/crafts OR cooking, i will take them to buy ingredients or crafts stuff!!

I take the basket round and the children help me find the things we need and put into basket, then help pack a few bits which are not heavy and take turns to pay to!!

The children really enjoy it :D and also learn about what we need to cook with !!!

I wouldn't take them weekly shopping as Paul does it for me as i hate it too Lol......

sarah707
20-12-2007, 09:51 PM
My mindees come with me when we are looking for crafts or food for them to eat - we make a list together before we set off and they help me find things and pay at the end. Even the little ones help with smelling and choosing fruit and veg and they grow to enjoy the sensory experience.

I find it hard sometimes when they are used to mithering for sweets or chocolate, but a firm 'no' usually makes them realise I don't buy things like that, then we enjoy the rest of the trip.

I usually try and make time to visit the little cafe in the local supermarket for a drink at the end of our shopping trip - it rounds off the experience really well.

Don't do the main shop with any children... what a horrible idea! I wait til the mindees are all gone and mine are with their dad and do that in the evening.

Spangles
20-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I would definitely take them shopping. One of the mum's I had come round to see me this week specifically wants her son to experience normal life and go shopping, to the library, etc.

I personally think it's one of the main advantages we have over nurseries, children get to experience normal day to day things.

I wouldn't take them for a big shop as I think that should be done on your own time but popping out for a few top up items is a learning experience for them - counting, colours, learning different foods, language and communication ...

Some people have weird ideas don't they!!

lindylou
20-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Ofsted like you to take the children shopping as it promotes learning ie as sarah says counting smelling ect also they are learning about everyday life meeting people learning about what different people do in different jobs ie cashier shelf stacker store detective .
As all the other girls say you would use common sense and not do a big shop or take them out in adverse weather conditions .
Lindaxx

susi513
21-12-2007, 01:12 PM
one mum collecting asked her ds what we had done that day, one mindee sadly told his mum "I had to go shopping" with an expression that might have gone well with having been locked in a cupboard all day. So I had to explain it wasn't my weekly shop - I had specifically gone to take him to fruit farm to choose what we would have for snack time (relatively new mindee at time so thought it would be a good way of finding out what he likes).

Another mum frequently tells me how she appreciates me more than her previous childminder as her previous childminder "was lovely, but always had to do her shopping and other chores" whereas I "do so much with the children".

My local Tesco is open 24 hours and I can order online so I have no need to do weekly shop with mindees. I don't think twice about going in local shops for odd bits with mindees though. Had a one year old on his own the other day and we only went in for bread but spent ages looking at various things on shelves. He's signing well & beginning to say lots of words so most enjoyable shopping I've done for ages!

When they ask for sweets/toys when we're out I used to ask them if they brought any money with them. When they said no, I would say, thats a shame cos I've not got enough either. My money is for (loaf of bread). Then after saying this to one child, the next day his mum dropped him off and put a couple of pounds on the counter "just in case we go anywhere he's got something to spend" !

buildingblocks
21-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I take the children shopping with me as everything is a learning experience. I do not do a big shop with them as I do not drive so need hubby here for that but to be honest so long as I was involving them I don't see a problem. Take tonight after going to MacDonalds (bad childminder) for tea with a 4.5 and a 2.5, my mum and my hubby we are calling at Sainsburys to do a bit of shopping. S 2.5 holds the list and tells me what I need!!!!! L aged 4.5 helps get the items and put in trolley and is honestly more use than my hubby wull be. Both behave extremely well for me and not for mum in the supermarket.

but I do make a point of trying to make it a fun (I hate shopping) learning experience for them as much as possible.

buildingblocks
21-12-2007, 01:46 PM
One little girl I mind at the moment complains if we dont go to Tescos at some point in the week :rolleyes: Cheryl x

L aged 4 gets really excited when we go to Asda - strange child!!!!!!

Sarsar3NCH
21-12-2007, 02:33 PM
The children need to learn how to wait nicely in a queue, about all the different varieties of food, asking a stranger (shop assistant) for help, how to pay/get change etc. If you have a child for many hours a week they can learn many valuable lessons about life from us as childminders. In this age of internet shopping etc some of them may not learn otherwise!

(I don't mean a 'big' shop)

Sarah

fionamal
21-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I dont take them if its a "Big" shop but if its just for bits and pieces then yes I do take them and they help me to get whats needed and they have their own shopping lists as well.

Kids love it if you involve them.

Pauline
22-12-2007, 06:07 PM
The children need to learn how to wait nicely in a queue, about all the different varieties of food, asking a stranger (shop assistant) for help, how to pay/get change etc. If you have a child for many hours a week they can learn many valuable lessons about life from us as childminders. In this age of internet shopping etc some of them may not learn otherwise!

(I don't mean a 'big' shop)

Sarah

Yes that's just what I was going to say.

Childminders are special because they off home from home type care with a variety of situations that you would not get in other types of day care.

As far as I'm concerned you should give them the same type of life as they would have if they were at home with mum or dad.

Before I became a childminder, I would take my kids shopping, do arts and crafts, have educational activities all with the added bonus of being able to take advantage of that sunny day for a trip to the park. It worked for them so that's how I treat the minded kids now.

They've all grown up to be well adjusted, clever individuals so why change a good formula? :)

Cammie Doodle
22-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Well said Pauline :)

Tily Bud
22-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I agree Pauline x

I was having a conversation with a new mum the other day and were discussing the nursery that his son currently went to, she was saying that i is good that they take them out on little walks and forest schools - to this i replyed that this is something that childminders do all the time we just dont label the outings thats all !

Cheryl x

Blaze
22-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm the same Pauline...people always asked me if i was a childminder before I was one & I agree..if it works stick with it!:thumbsup:
Tasha:)

nannysue
23-12-2007, 06:33 PM
My little ones love to go shopping, it does not have to be tedious and boring. They help choose the things ... learning about colours, numbers etc. Taking turns putting on the belt and paying, chatting to the ladies at the till... learning to be sociable. Its all part of the learning experience and as we provide a homely enviroment this is all part of everyday life.I am often told what well behaved children they are.( i have seen different when they are out shopping with a parent!!!) I had 3 singing christmas songs as we walked to the shops and backon Friday.

Sue.x

ajs
23-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes that's just what I was going to say.

Childminders are special because they off home from home type care with a variety of situations that you would not get in other types of day care.

As far as I'm concerned you should give them the same type of life as they would have if they were at home with mum or dad.

Before I became a childminder, I would take my kids shopping, do arts and crafts, have educational activities all with the added bonus of being able to take advantage of that sunny day for a trip to the park. It worked for them so that's how I treat the minded kids now.

They've all grown up to be well adjusted, clever individuals so why change a good formula? :)
and you didn't need ofsted to tell you how to bring them up did you

son77
24-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I've recently started taking my mindee's shopping with me. Another childminder told me after her inspection that Ofsted really like us to take our mindee's out shopping, that was a good enough excuse for me.

Banana
03-01-2008, 04:28 PM
yep...

I take my minded children shopping with me. Sometimes we will go in town and look around the shops and always take a trip to the early learning centre which ususally lasts about 45 minutes. I probably say i take them in town 1-2 times a month.

If i need food shopping I do a big shop when richard is here or i get it delivered from tesco. But if i feel like a walk down to morrisons to have a nosey for something in particular for tea then I dont see why its a problem, Isabelle goes shopping with me and recently she has been loving it as she helps a lot now and enjoys getting things from the shelves. Its all educational doing things like this

xx

mrsbumbles
03-01-2008, 04:38 PM
We also go shopping, we go to the chinese supermarket around this time of year to get supplies for chinese new year, we buy fortune cookies and lucky sweets and the children meet people from other cultures. its a great experiance for them.

Rubybubbles
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I do the same as everyone else (I think you all agreed!!) I may pop to the shops if necessary for milk, bread ect, but do my main shop online or at weekend when hubby home!

I don't think it does them any harm at all! I know the 2 I look after one always gets shopping delivered and the other goes on a friday afternoon whilst I've got the baby:rolleyes: but hey! As long as they are good and enjoy 'lifes little pleasures!' I get paid to shop for arts and crafts to do with children!

ajs
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
i always make a point of telling the parents that i may go shopping with their children when they are here.
i tell them mainly as it's a small town and you can be sure that i'll bump into grandma or aunty on every shop.

not one mum says she has a problem with me shopping but one of the complaints about me made when a mum removed her children from my care was that i took the children in the car with me on what she saw as unnecessary journeys

Rubybubbles
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
i always make a point of telling the parents that i may go shopping with their children when they are here.
i tell them mainly as it's a small town and you can be sure that i'll bump into grandma or aunty on every shop.

not one mum says she has a problem with me shopping but one of the complaints about me made when a mum removed her children from my care was that i took the children in the car with me on what she saw as unnecessary journeys

unnecessary journeys!! Thats a new one, cos you didn't have anything planned to do once you got out of the car did you??:laughing:

Spangles
05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
What a cheek! It's not her place to judge whether you are doing unnecessary journeys or not everyone's opinion is different and if you've got a lot to get, not much time or other places to go you are obviously going to drive! Blooming cheek!

emler
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Unnecessary journeys!! Have heard it all now

Emler x

deeb66
08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Catching up with older threads.

I agree with what everyone has already said.

The main thing to remember is that children should be encouraged to do day to day things....it is a part of life....so why should they be excluded.

I certainly wouldn't take them on the main weekly shop but have taken them for educational mean. For example last month they made pizza's so I took them shopping to buy the ingrediants they needed, encouraged them to talk about the food and select their own vegetables they were going to use as toppings.

oakie dokie
09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
i have taken them on a weekly shop, only when i have 1, they have helped me do the complete shop and then helped me to stack and sort into the cupboards when we get home. they helped choose what they would like for lunch that day and then helped to prepare it. all a learning experience.

deeb66
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
i have taken them on a weekly shop, only when i have 1, they have helped me do the complete shop and then helped me to stack and sort into the cupboards when we get home. they helped choose what they would like for lunch that day and then helped to prepare it. all a learning experience.

To be honest I have done this too in the past Hazel....but only when I have had 1 child as you can focus on that child and you can also get it done faster.

Generally I look after three 2 year olds and that is the only reason I wouldn't take them for the full weekly shop....for my sanity if for no other reason - lol!!!!