PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water

Rmead
11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Just interested in how people have water available. Do you have a jug that children can help themselves or just cups for all that are always there. I know that water has to be always accessible for them but I'm having issues with cup swapping - my own daughter wants to drink everyone else's drink rather than her own! So I've been putting mindees drinks on the table higher up and they can ask for them and I offer them lots but would that be ok? Worrying over the littlest thing as inspection time gets nearer... :p

The Juggler
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
i have lidded cups. They can take them in the lounge then if they want and they know to put them up on the table if they want. Older children have open cups at meal times and which we leave in kitchen and they can ask for refills when they want or if I feel they haven't drunk enough I will remind them to drink it if they are absorbed in the lounge.

If we are outside, I take the drinsk out too.:)

Mouse
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
My mindees are 17mths, 21mths and 2.5yrs old. They have their water beakers on a tray in very different beakers, so they all know which is theirs. If they were younger I think they would probably drink form any, but they all know which is which and just help themselves as they want it.

If you're having problems with the drinks getting mixed up, I think you'd be OK to leave them in view, but out of reach, and make sure mindees know when to ask for them. At my last inspection I didn't have water out at all. The inspector asked how I made sure the children always had access to drinking water & I told her they just asked for it if they wanted it. She was happy with that :thumbsup:

Rmead
11-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Ah great, I use lidded cups and different colours but my daughter is 14 months so although she knows which her cup is she still always wants the other. My 20 month mindee is fine with them and I use an open cup for the almost 4 yr old

JCrakers
11-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I leave cups on the dining table..the little ones cant reach and I sit them down if they want a drink.
Mrs O was very impressed when I took the drinks outside whilst they were playing ;) She mentioned it in my report

Becky x

Pauline
11-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I have lidded cups for little ones and drink/sport bottles for older ones. They are kept in a plastic basket with handle (Wilko £2.99!) so that we can carry it from room to room or outside, then drinks are always with us.

Little ones soon get the idea of which is there cup, if not then gentle reminders if they take someone elses will soon help them learn. :)

Maza
11-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I use lidded cups for my two year olds. Each knows which is there own colour. My old mindee used to drink from everyone's cup but her own but I was adamant that I did not want that (she was 17 months) due to one or the other always having a bad cold or recovering from tonsilitis etc. I was probably firmer on this issue than any other issue - coupled with lots of praise of course when she did use her own cup. After a few days there was no more cup swapping. I have a drinks station (little table) in the living room and they pretty much know to put them back there when they have had a drink.

sarah707
11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a tray on the side which is for cups... and a table outside and I follow the children out with the tray.

When they are outside they help themselves from a big jug :D

onceinabluemoon
11-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Little ones have bottles of water with them all the time and funnily enough they rarely try to drink form the wrong one (they're 10 and 12 months) which is probably down to luck I guess. Older ones have sport bottles all the time and open cups with meals that they refil themselves.

I'm thinking about getting a water dispenser as we all like cold water in the summer when it comes out of the taps warm.

Chimps Childminding
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
My mindees all bring their own drinks bottles with their packed lunches. They are always accessible and filled as and when required!!

Twinkles
11-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Mine all have water bottles. Kept in a ( sadly ) empty 'celebrations' plastic box. We take it from room to room and/or garden.

mushpea
11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
the younger ones bring their own drinks cups and the older ones bring their own drinks bottles,, they are kept in the kitchen on the table or if we are doing an activitiy on the table i move them to the side where they can ask for them, they dont have open cups here as if the children dont knock them over the cats normal do and i get fed up with cleaning up spillages!

little chickee
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Little ones have bottles of water with them all the time and funnily enough they rarely try to drink form the wrong one (they're 10 and 12 months) which is probably down to luck I guess. Older ones have sport bottles all the time and open cups with meals that they refil themselves.

I'm thinking about getting a water dispenser as we all like cold water in the summer when it comes out of the taps warm.

I just fill a jug or large empty juice bottle with water and keep it in the fridge. Cold water all the time and much cheaper than a water dispenser:thumbsup:

buildingblocks
15-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Just interested in how people have water available. Do you have a jug that children can help themselves or just cups for all that are always there. I know that water has to be always accessible for them but I'm having issues with cup swapping - my own daughter wants to drink everyone else's drink rather than her own! So I've been putting mindees drinks on the table higher up and they can ask for them and I offer them lots but would that be ok? Worrying over the littlest thing as inspection time gets nearer... :p

In my dining room (well it should be there but isn't at the moment) I have a water fountain machine and cups for older children to help themselves.

At the moment the children I care for all have lidded cups (not at mealtimes though) which sit on my table in the front room next to me and if they want a drink they help themselves and sit down next to the table to drink it cups go back afterwards. They do not walk around with the cups.

miffy
15-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Young ones have lidded cups.

Older ones pour their own drinks

Miffy xx

Penny1959
15-05-2011, 05:09 PM
All my mindees cups are put on the work surface in the kitchen - right next to the safety gate. All mindees even the under ones are able to ask when want their cup - even with words, by pointing or just standing by gate and looking at cups. If a child has not asked for a drink very often - then I offer them their cup as a reminder.

Penny :)

Mookins
15-05-2011, 05:56 PM
all my mindees ahve their own little beekers that i put in a basket in reach of them all, i amke sure they are always full and carry the basket wherever we go

if i find a beaker i put it straight back in the basket so there always there:clapping:

xx

hayleychildcare
15-05-2011, 07:55 PM
ive got a large water dispenser,

Well it was bought as a larger dispenser (kind you get in the pub for draft larger but clear)

It has a tube in the middle for ice :thumbsup:

Children under the age of 3 get cups with lids or straws (Haven holidays ones)