PDA

View Full Version : Late collections - why do I feel so guilty charging?

kymberly
11-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I have one parent who is often late, sometimes by 5 minutes, sometimes by half an hour!!:eek: When she's half an hour late I just charge her for it but the 5 mins here and there I don't.

When I sent my invoices out last month I stated I would be charging a late collection fee of £5 per 15 minutes.

So far she'e been late twice, once by 5 mins, once by 10mins. So....£10 so far :eek:

She's a lovely parent and she often keeps her DD off so I have loads of 'paid days off'. I feel s guilty charging her but if I don't I know she's just going to continue being late.

Any thoughts, do I keep the peace or get tough???

Goatgirl
11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
hi :),
I know its hard, but I say Get Tough!
As you say, you know she'll keep being late otherwise and as pleasant as she is, that's not what you agreed to in your contract and she is taking advantage.
Does sound as though she doesn't really mind paying... you may have to see how she takes the extra charge this month and maybe think about putting it up even more :eek:

Don't feel bad, after all you have warned her: I'd maybe verbally remind her too: " you've clocked up an extra £10 in late fees so far this month so far - did you realise?!" kinda thing :)

and any problems with her response, point out the fees are a deterrent not a money making scheme ;) :rolleyes:

sfox2003
11-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Have you spoke to her about always being late? I had a very similar situation the family are lovely but terrible time keepers. They even keep her off quite a bit & I get paid days off. However I make arrangements in the evening & quite often their lateness 5 mins or 35 mins was causing me problems so one day I mentioned it to mum. She was 7 or 8 mins late & didnt even bother to apologise so I asked he if she would like a review on her contracted hours. Her face dropped & she said she would speak to dad to see what he thought. They never mentioned it again, but were never late again either.

Be firm, maybe mention to her that shes accrued late charges rather than face a confrontation after invoicing her.

nokidshere
11-05-2011, 08:52 PM
If my parents are consistantly late I have a meeting with them to change the contracted times. Sometimes this is enough to nudge them into better timekeeping and sometimes they agree that they are unable to stick to the times and change them accordingly.

However, I have to say that with the parents who consistantly have time off and still pay me, then I probably wouldn't charge them late fees.

I have one family who pays me for tuesday evenings and uses them maybe 3-4 times a year. But since she has paid me for 51 I figure she has some credit :D

kymberly
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I have already spoke to her and we changed the contract from 5.00 to 5.30 a while ago. But now she comes at 5.35-6.00 :eek:

I don't really want to change it to 6.00 and have her come at 6.30:eek:

Its so difficult, shes only with me 2 days a week and as I said is often off (usually 1 day a month) so she probably thinks she has credit.

I know I should just do it but I hate confrontation.

Thanks for your comments x

sfox2003
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
I have already spoke to her and we changed the contract from 5.00 to 5.30 a while ago. But now she comes at 5.35-6.00 :eek:

I don't really want to change it to 6.00 and have her come at 6.30:eek:

Its so difficult, shes only with me 2 days a week and as I said is often off (usually 1 day a month) so she probably thinks she has credit.

I know I should just do it but I hate confrontation.

Thanks for your comments x

Oh - if youve already spoke to her in the past, Im changing my advise. I would definatley add on the late fees.

The fact that she has days off does not give her permission to pick up whenever she wants. Its not about the money, you may have plans, have things to do etc After 5.30 shes on your time & really ought to be letting you know if shes going to be there after this time. Dont feel guilty because you get days off for free - Im sure you would be quite happy to have her child on these days & no doubt have things planned for her anyway.

I would definatley add on the late charges. Youve made everyone aware that they were coming into force.