PDA

View Full Version : Under charging parents on terms of contract.

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Right I have a quandry I've been forgetting to charge a parent for tea one day a week since the 7th April when they started now as I haven't set an amount for tea how much does anyone charge. I give milk/water or Juice plus pizza and salad or sandwith ham chesses etc or dips and sticks of fruit and breadsticks or soup and rolls followed by a pudding of fruit fresh or dried/ yoghurts or a sweet pudding e.g. cake and custard or ice cream and fruit or something on those lines. portions are quite generous too. How much would be reasonable for that - do you think £1.00 - £1.50 is too much.

What ever I charge her I will have to put in my fees and make it official - so what would you charge?

I need to know as I already give a good will reduction of £7.50 because the child goes to playgroup all day on a Wednesday but I'm holding the place open for her for the hols and mum said she'd be collecting at 4.30 every day but never does its always 5.00 because she wants the inclusive teas. I've also given her a knock down price for the older child because she claimed that she would be paying for a tea they would never be having. I've taken quite a drop in the rate for the school girl.

This mum has been to other childminders in the area and they have all warned me about her penny pinching so I feel miffed that I've made this error it was with having my mind on all this ofsted stuff that I mis read the contract. I am going to e-mail her today and tell her that I made the error and as its my error I will take the loss of this huge amount of £3.00-4.50 but will say that from this week on though, if S stays for tea on Wed I will have to add the extra to next weeks bill - she pays in advance and is a good payer and pays the whole amount in vouchers. So in that respect they are a good family to have so don't want to annoy her she has signed to agree that Wed fees do not include any meals.

I also know that she has arranged to put lo into playgroup full time from next Sept on top of her free places she will have to pay £7.00 for the afternoon place plus £2.00 for the lunch cover plus £1.80 for a school dinner or provide a packed lunch. She hasn't told me this and I presume she will want the £7.50 reduction per day for this also but I'm thinking of saying if its every day I can only do £5.00 as I'm holding the place for her. Do you think that is fair?

Tickles
28-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi i charge a £1 per day for meals if they are wanting this option. I suppose it really depends on what you give the child,

Joanne

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry girls I'm flagging this one up as a matter of urgency I jsut need to know what you think before 4.30 Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

avril
28-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi

I charge £2.00 for tea but that's because I don't really want mindees staying for tea as this is my family time with hubby and my 2 children. I know it is a little expensive but it has worked I don't have any staying for tea :laughing: :laughing:

Other childminders in my area charge 1.00 - 1.50.

Avril x:)

Twinkles
28-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I would not give her discounts for the extra playgroup days. You could fill her place with someone who wants it full time ,why should you lose out on money ?

I would charge from this week for meals mine have been £1.50 for a long time now, where else would you get a meal for £1.50 !!

vix84
28-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I give one meal a day and the morning snack included in the days fee's, and then I charge £2.00 a day for anything extra (ie - breakfast, snack and dinners) regardless of how much they actually eat.
For instance the boys I care for always have the snack and lunch, and are never gone before snack time so I always charge £2 a day, even if they go before tea as I have usually already got something out or prepared. As of September though, I am including one cooked meal in the fee's and asking parents to bring in all snacks and a packed lunch/dinner.
Id also say sometimes I spend more than £2 on the snacks, dinner and pudding, you could suggest she brings in a packed lunch or tin of beans and bread or something similar if she doesnt want to pay it?

berkschick
28-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I too charge £2 for tea. I only include snacks and drinks in my fees.

A bargain really as a happy meal would cost you £1.99!

Pudding Girl
28-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Confused - you said you should have been charging for it but then said it was inclusive later on?

sarah707
28-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I would say, for a meal like that, you could easily charge the family £2 per meal... :D

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Lou-m

I include the tea for all the days I charge her the daily rate but not for the day she gets the discount. And that is why she makes sure she doesn't come till 5.00 or after I now need to check the contract to see what time I put on there and charge them for all time they come after 5.00.

She is a right cheeky soul and would try to get away without paying no matter what.

I spoke to her last childminder this morning and she said she only gave her £5.00 discount on the full day so that is all I'll give from Sept I think - what do any of you think?

I think I'll try £2.00 extra for tea and £2.50 extra for dinner and £1.00 extra for snacks to prevent people from trying it on looking for half hours and under 3 hours care. I think £2.00 for breakfast would be OK too or should I go £1.50 for that? - Thats for those parents who have the cheek to drop off early.

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I charge £1 for every meal a child has with me

I think you should do whatever you feel comfy with Celine its your business at the end of the day and these parents will just have to follow your rules

Good luck

Angel xxx