PDA

View Full Version : I reached a decision...I think

pinklady
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I decided to give childminding for many, many reason but I'm seriously panicking about having no money & wasting my registration which I worked really hard for as I'm sure you'll all agree.

My DS2 is starting school in September & after 10 years (minus a month) as a SAHM I've decided I'd like a break from very little people. One of the other problems is that I don't have a playroom & I'm finding it hard to close the door on childminding when I'm not working.

So...I'm toying with schoolies but I've never had them before. I always seem to get enquiries for the school I can't do! Because I haven't had any before I don't know how much I would charge??? If anyone would be kind enough to give me a rough idea I'd be really grateful :D

sarah707
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
It really depends on where you live.

I'd ring a few after school clubs and find out their charges to make sure you are competitive.

Or if you chat with other childminders find out if there's an after school market.

Good luck! :D

miffy
11-05-2011, 06:51 AM
If you already have established after school clubs in your area you may find it hard to break into this market as well as be competitive.

There are three after school clubs in my village, two attached to each of the local schools and one attached to the private nursery. I've found my after school work has dwindled over the last few years as the schools push the parents in the direction of their after school clubs and those children who attended nursery seem to stay at the after school club there.

My charges are competitive but both school clubs do ad-hoc care which works out cheaper for some parents.

Miffy xx

gegele
11-05-2011, 08:55 AM
i have the same problem with the toys...

no advice sorry, just good luck. xxx

Goatgirl
11-05-2011, 12:32 PM
HI :),
I'd just ask local childminders what they charge.
I currently charge the same hourly rate as under 5's but am introducing a higher rate; an enhanced rate for fewer than the number of hours available and a minimum of 5 x 1 1/2 hr sessions...

See what the competition and think about what would make it worth while for you to do :thumbsup:

hope it works out :)

bws,
Wendy

pinklady
11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice :)

I think it will be quite hard to find schoolies as there is an after school club that charges a very low amount but you never know! Have to rely on some parents preferring a childminder & make sure my prices are competitive I guess.

Twinkles
11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
It's not always about the cost.

I make a nutritious home-cooked meal every evening for my after schoolers - clubs don't do that.

I make sure there is somewhere quiet for the children to relax after school - clubs don't do that.

I could go on but you see what I mean. Play up your strengths and the unique service you offer and you should have more luck.

Lady Haha
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I only care for schoolies and have kept my prices very low to compete with holiday clubs and any after school club that may come about! There was a club three years back and I matched their charge (£7.00 for 3.15-6pm) and poached three of their kids :thumbsup:

Not long after that, the club closed down, but I have kept my very low charge anyway. It has gone up since and is now £9.00 per session which doesn't sound alot for nearly three hours work, but when I'm picking up six schoolies thats £54 for less than three hours work which is not bad!!!

The only thing I can't go too low on is the holiday care. The local holiday clubs charge between £15 and £20 for a full day. I charge £25 (8-6), but do include proper meals and very good day trips for that! Again, £25 isn't much for a days work, but when I've got those six kids again it's actually £150 for a days work - less £40ish for a REALLY good day out.

I would go with a very low charge - tolerate the having to work for peanuts for a year while you build up mindees and then start enjoying your free 6 hours a day during termtime while you make a decent wage :)

Oh and schoolies are so much easier to care for in my opinion! You are basically there just to pick them up, feed them, provide toys and crafts and wii games, and sort out arguements!!! They can pretty much entertain themselves most of the time!

Shirlwith3
12-05-2011, 05:23 AM
I am in the same mind at the mo, I am fed up with being used while parents wait for a place at a nursery for their lo. I did have 11month old twins but they left for different reasons as one had cerebral palsy so was going to need to go to hospital twice a week. So all I have at the moment is my 1 before & after scholl (2days) but she is leaving at half term & then it will be just the after schoolie who I have 3 days for just 1 1/2 a day.

I have thought about dog walking since I got my dog last year so far when I have been quiet with regard to childminding I have had friends dogs come to stay & have been paid for it too.

I have found a site that are recuriting dog walkers, home boarding etc so am waiting back on that.

pinklady
13-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I am in the same mind at the mo, I am fed up with being used while parents wait for a place at a nursery for their lo. I did have 11month old twins but they left for different reasons as one had cerebral palsy so was going to need to go to hospital twice a week. So all I have at the moment is my 1 before & after scholl (2days) but she is leaving at half term & then it will be just the after schoolie who I have 3 days for just 1 1/2 a day.

I have thought about dog walking since I got my dog last year so far when I have been quiet with regard to childminding I have had friends dogs come to stay & have been paid for it too.

I have found a site that are recuriting dog walkers, home boarding etc so am waiting back on that.

Dog walking sounds like a great idea for you :thumbsup: Hope you get lots of work.

pinklady
13-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Twinkles & Blackandsparkly

Our holiday club is £20 for a full day which is obviously very hard to compete with but hopefully parents will see the benefits of a childminder although I'm not putting the holiday club down, it's a great setting & have used it for DS1 just so he can do some age appropriate activities.

If I got schoolies it will mean my own boys will finally get to do more fun things in the holidays :)

Another childminder has told me about an enquiry she had for after school care so she's going to speak to mum about me, fingers crossed :D

Demonjill
13-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks Twinkles & Blackandsparkly

Our holiday club is £20 for a full day which is obviously very hard to compete with but hopefully parents will see the benefits of a childminder although I'm not putting the holiday club down, it's a great setting & have used it for DS1 just so he can do some age appropriate activities.

If I got schoolies it will mean my own boys will finally get to do more fun things in the holidays :)

Another childminder has told me about an enquiry she had for after school care so she's going to speak to mum about me, fingers crossed :D

ooh that sounds promising - fingers x :thumbsup: