PDA

View Full Version : new to forum - starting out

vitfa
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi everyone - i am currently a nurse in dunfermline, fife. Im miserable in my job and thinking of becoming CM - love children but dont have any qualification that are child based - how can i go about getting more information?
I have had a look on the forum and its all very confusing to me

Many thanks

Lynsey

Demonjill
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Linsey welcome to the forum :thumbsup: - im also in Fife

I contacted the SCMA to find out what courses were running in my area. In Scotland we dont HAVE to do a course as things stand at the moment but Care commission has changed to be SCSWIS so changes may be made.

I did a childminder induction course over 2 saturdays and they supplied the application pack and gave us lots of info etc

You can also just phone the SCSWIS and they might send the pack straight out to you, but i did find the training very interesting and of course you meet lots of people in the same situation.

I have to pop out now but if you have any further questions just post or PM me.:)

phoebe-alice
30-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Oooo nice to see so many minders in Fife. :laughing:
I would contact either SCSWIS directly and ask for some more information and they should be able to send you out an introduction pack, other wise the SCMA provide a lot of support and advice if you have any questions they sure helped me a lot.
But as for qualifications I had no child based ones from the start as I began right after leaving high school but bodies like the Fife Childcare Strategy and SCMA professional development courses have been great and there are always more courses you can go on most being free which is a bonus.
I hope you get on fab and really enjoy it. :)

marian
30-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Welcome:)

I used to be a nurse too - CM was the best move I made!
Go for it - you won't regret it!!

Marian x

arly
02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum....Ive been registered for 7 months and loving it best thing I did aswell. :D

danasdaycare
15-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome!

I started registration process as was so fed up with my office job. Still got it on at moment until I get enough mindees...

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Kirsteen
29-06-2011, 11:25 AM
if you contact your local council they might run a pre-reg childminding course which will talk u through the basics and give u the info u need to make up your mind.

I just did one with my council and it was very helpful. It has made the application process easier as i know now what to expect. A few people dropped out the course cos they decided it just wasn't for them, so it's good in terms of weeding out the people who really actually want to go ahead. Your council should also be able to help u get on courses such as Child Protection and First Aid too.

The SCMA were helpful too. Even if you just call SCSWIS they can sed u out the application pack and you can see what's required.

All the best :-)