PDA

View Full Version : Learning journey for 2 hrs a week

Louise0208
10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
i have a new mindee, (3) & i will be only having him for 2 hours & 15 mins a week (in 1 session).....the problem im facing is during this 2hr15 mins i have to do a 1 hour school run (we walk and mum is 100% happy with me wasting 1 hour taking him out for the school run)

then as soon as im home i have to prepare/cook/serve the evening meal for my other mindee and my own children......then its home time

mum says that most weeks dad will be picking LO up within an hour of his arrival (just as we return from the school run) which im 100% happy with

how can i fit in the planning, learning journals etc? :eek:

does the basis of having to do a LJ go on the contracted hours? i dont want mrs O looking at my paperwork asking why LO has no obs or activities when the contact clearly states 2.5 hours a week (but i know hes only here for 60 mins & out on a school run)

ooooooo its sooooo confusing .....please help :blush:

alwaysright
10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
if hes 3 does he go to another setting were they would be doing his learning journal etc? personally i would find it very difficult to do this as well, maybe you could do a very basic file but put a sheet at the front with his weekly hours (or lack off) i used to care for a little boy two afternoons a week and he was hardly ever here, i could go over a month without seeing him so i used to write in his file each time he didnt attend so ofsted could see i was at least trying

marnieb
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
tbh I wouldnt bother. I have mindee D here for exactly 1.5 hrs on a tues, then for 45 min on a weds (school runs then she goes to ballet), so I dont do a learning journal for her, just a scrap book with photos and copies of any arts stuff she does here. Her mums a teacher as well and she thinks that's more than enough.

buildingblocks
10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I think that you have to cover the EYFS with a child no matter how long they are with you for (sure this was in a post a couple of days ago it may pay you to see what was put there). I used to have a child for one hour a day before school, she was actually in the setting for about 10 mins before we left for school. We covered stuff on the walk to school. I was lucky as school emailed me the newsletter that went home in their bags so if they were doing anything we could cover I just used to write it on the copy I printed off and put in her folder. It wasn't as in depth and any obs were very short and done in the 10 mins before we left for school.

sarah707
10-05-2011, 05:13 PM
You have to cover Eyfs for any time a child is with you... but the amount you write will be proportionate to the time the child spends with you.

Write up his routine and how that links to the Eyfs... then when he does activities with you, helps you to make food, plays with something etc make a note.

Over time it will build up :D

jane5
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
You could also include things that happen on the school run, finding leaves, making friendships with the children who you pick up from school, noticing the traffic, trying to put his coat and shoes on/off. Although it will be limited it will prove that you are trying to meet the guidelines.

Louise0208
11-05-2011, 09:59 AM
thanks,

i do cover EYFS with all my other mindees even the one that is here for an hour a day but its easy with her as we have a planned activity during that time...... i think this one is purely bad timing lol!

he doesnt go to any other setting but will be starting part time school in september, hes just stopped going to another childminder (who i know well)

mrs robbie williams
11-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a 4yr old mindee who i only have 3hrs a week, i collect her from pre school and we walk home and get back around midday, she then has lunch which takes it up to half 12. We leave for the school run at 230. I have had her since November last year, its wierd though because her learning journey is the best i have, i think its because when i have her its just her so im forever taking pictures of her and we cram in as much as we can in that 2hr slot. She's going into reception in September so will be leaving me in July and im going to miss her, i look forward to seeing her each week and she enjoys being here, shame they have to grow up :laughing: