PDA

View Full Version : CHILDMINDERS AHOY! WE ARE GETTING A BASHING ON SKY NEWS ONLINE!!!

taiwallis
10-05-2011, 01:08 PM
HEADLINE: - UK CHILDCARE COSTLIEST IN WHOLE WORLD
Ladies and gents - have a read. We are getting a bashing by some people, singled out as childminders who charge too much. There are some people on there trying to back us up, and say what a sterling job we do, but there are plenty more saying we should be investigated by HMRC and that we are scammers!!
Thought you would like a read!!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Childcare-In-Britain-Among-The-Most-Expensive-In-The-World-Charities-Warn/Article/201105215988598?lpos=UK_News_Third_Home_Page_Artic le_Teaser_Region__2&lid=ARTICLE_15988598_Video%3A_Childcare_In_Britain _Among_The_Most_Expensive_In_The_World%2C_Charitie s_Warn_

Blaze
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
i posted the yahoo version...let them walk a mile in our shoes I say!:angry:

rhea26
10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I love the comment that child minders should pay more tax due to noise pollution! Is there really anything wrong with hearing children having fun and being children?!

Blaze
10-05-2011, 01:19 PM
LOL - perhaps ALL parents should pay noise pollution tax then....& all those that go out of a weekend, or have the radion/ tv on & a window/door open...& those who have sex or snore loudly...the tax list could go on & on & on!!!!:rolleyes:

caz3007
10-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Dont get me started on noise pollution lately and selfish neighbours. I dont allow my LO's to scream and make a general nuisance of themselves, they arent allowed outside until after 9.30. And I have heard elderly neighbours say isnt it nice hearing children having fun

Pipsqueak
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
It'll be all the irate uptight anti childminder Netmums Brigade:rolleyes:

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/general-coffeehouse-chat-514/news-current-affairs-topical-discussion-12/574837-parents-uk-pay-some-highest-childcare-fees-world.html

debratina
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
brilliant :(
i would say 80% of the the children i look after get wftc. i only charge £3.00ph for each child and that includes meals and outing which i pay for.

taiwallis
10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
i am on girls!! i am backing us up!!! suggest you all have a little say too!!

Ripeberry
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Why is it concentrating on CMs. Nurseries are the real expensive ones, BUT because it's seen more of a business than a 'sole trader', then they can't see past that one person getting so much money.
If only they knew :rolleyes: :mad:

caz3007
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I am losing lots of my after schoolies in July, so will be working for £4.25 per hour unless someone else comes along, and thats less expenses and they are saying some childminders charge £11 per hour :panic: Wonder what area that is, cos bet even City minders wouldnt charge that much

taiwallis
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
i think they are talking twaddle. Make up some facts to back your argument - ridiculous. They don't HAVE to pay that - go and find a cheaper childminder - there's a fair few of us out there!!

Stormy
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm in London fairly central, I don't know anyone who charges £11, I charge a daily rate which works out just over £5 an hour, I wish they would get their facts straight before opening their mouths.

WibbleWobble
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
childcare has always been expensive in my experience. when DD2 was a baby i had a nanny for her and her bigger sister. now dont you think i am posh...some of you on here know me....i am not posh!

i had a nanny cos of DD2s disabilities (and it actually wasnt any more than an a nursery/cm scenario) and i worked shifts as a junior staff nurse.

it was 18 years ago but i remember working for what was actualy nothing at the end of the day....BUT

i saw it as an investment in my children's future.

i had a job (which in a post thatcher tory govt was a rarety) and i knew i was lucky. even though i earned nothing i looked ahead...i knew it wouldnt always be like that...and guess what? it wasnt always like that! (and this was the days before tax credits)

and now i am a childminder....i dont earn mega bucks (lot less than my nurse consultant post) so i dont know where the £11 an hour came from in the video. i think that was a reference to a london nursery, but like all good journos they got it wrong and have tarred us all with the same brush.

i know we do a :censored: good job looking after peoples most precious things...and we deserve whatever we earn!!

sorry for rant

love mandy xxx

Jayse74
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Problem is the netmums brigade seem to get so much tv exposure... why? The more tv time they get the worse it is! Where is the spokesperson going on tv fighting for my partners side? Somebody needs to be up there making our point known.

These bad rumours are not over! They will filter all over the place. Its not as if you can make alot of money from this profession either. £11 an hour, flips lol... what nursery was that? Do they give the mindee's caviar for snacks or something?

Typical, they take that figure and do the old brush and tarr thing... this will do alot of damage. I see it will influence the judgement of young parents and work even more.

buildingblocks
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
HEADLINE: - UK CHILDCARE COSTLIEST IN WHOLE WORLD

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Childcare-In-Britain-Among-The-Most-Expensive-In-The-World-Charities-Warn/Article/201105215988598?lpos=UK_News_Third_Home_Page_Artic le_Teaser_Region__2&lid=ARTICLE_15988598_Video%3A_Childcare_In_Britain _Among_The_Most_Expensive_In_The_World%2C_Charitie s_Warn_

Some of the people posting make the people on netmums sound reasonable lol

SYLVIA
10-05-2011, 07:09 PM
We are clearly going to be hit with lots of questions from new parents about paid holidays and days off etc. It makes me cross when the start moaning about £4.50 per hour for childcare when they will quite happily pay so much more to have the car serviced or their house cleaned. If you work out that including paper work, obtaining supplies for the LO's, clearing up at the end of the day, we prop work 15 hrs a day easily and many of us work more, £4.50 an hour aint that bad! Some people get right up my nose!:angry:

rickysmiths
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
the highest hourly rate I have heard recently is around £8ph and that isn't in london either. Its about 20 miles from me.

taiwallis
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I gave my best girls, on behalf of childminders. You will some of my posts on sky news. I think some of those that were nitpicking actually don't even have children.(hubby says some people go on just for a fight!)

From my experience with clients, they ADORE me, they adore what i do for their children and certainly don't think i charge too much. Example: i was off sick for a day last month. I think it was the 1st time in a year, but as per contract i took it off their invoices. ALL CLIENTS wrote to me to say they wanted to pay it to me, as the care i give is second to none, and they wouldn't be happy with anyone else.

I did not 'highlight' i was off - just simply noted: refund: due to sickness. They had no reason to pay me this but i sit smugly tonight at all those that are bashing us to think that they don't know what they are talking about!!

You wouldn't pay a nursery money if they couldn't provide care.

My clients have a 1 2 1 service which is exceptional. Each and every child in my care is part of my family - their parents are part of my family. It is give and take.... and it all balances out beautifully in my world of childminding! I am very very lucky. x

caz3007
10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I get on really well with my parents and I have been told that 'I go the extra mile' and that I am a gooden, so know my parents are pleased with the job I do. I have a parent who is new to me and she said she thought childcare would be twice what I charge and also she was gobsmacked that I dont charge her for bank holidays (I dont, cos I dont want to work). But I know that the children are happy and settled with me and thats what matters.

Milli147
10-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh the people on there are just out for a fight. They have too much time on their hands.
I agree that childcare IS expensive if you don't earn a lot, and I know life is very hard for some people. I also know that I would not be childminding if my dh didn't earn a decent salary - I was lucky enough to be able to chose to do something I love. Childminding is not a way to earn your fortune, far from it.
I note that no-one mentioned the sheer stress factor of having (for example) 3 children under the age of 3, who are not your own...maybe who can't walk, or are learning to walk, or are potty training SIMULTANEOUSLY! I have friends in stressful jobs who say that they would not want to do what I do for a million pounds.
We do it because we love it, and thank goodness for that, because if we were trying to get rich we'd be sorely disappointed....