PDA

View Full Version : chickenpox

keatingschick
10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows, if not I'll ring NHS direct but I like to have a lot of info.

The little boy I look after has got chickenpox. His sister has just had it and been very poorly so we knew it was a matter of time before he got it. I told mum as per the Health org info that its 5 days from onset of rash, BUT I also say (from info I got in the past from NHS direct) that the child cannot come back to me until all of the spots have scabbed, I was told they are contagious until all the spots scab over.
Now his mum has been to see me today saying he wont be back this week as he is very poorly with them, he has them in his mouth and they are all infected, and all under his chin and neck with dribbling, he is on antibiotics and she has been warned to watch for them joining up (my daughters did that and went to black bruises, we thought she had meningitis). The mum asked if he would be allowed back if the spots were infected? I explained re them scabbing and being infectious till they stopped weeping and scabbed, but I am thinking if they are infected wont they still be weepy, thefore still contagious?
I've told her to just keep me posted and then we'll make a decision, but I don't want to be on the spot when she contacts me this weekend.
Any ideas?

Playmate
10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
If they are infected and weeping then definately no, usually after 5 days most will have scabbed over but if it is particularly bad then he may have to stay away longer.

alwaysright
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
i would also advise her that if they are infected/wet or weepy they will be looser and if they get knocked at your house during play etc you could not be responsible for that, but more importantly they could scar. poor child though! i had chicken pox very badly when i was 27 and they were in my throat and everywere else, if you know what i mean!! worst illness ever!

keatingschick
10-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah everyone seems to think its nothing chickenpox n wen I hear people who take thwir children purposely to catch them I think they must be crazy. My daughter was about 18mo when she got them and was so ill. He has got them very bad they are in his throat and mouth and all under his chin where he is dribbley they are infected and his mouth is dwollen. Mum said his nappy area is full and the doc said he will have them inside his bottom. The doc said that although you usually hear that its better to get them while you are young in her expwrience the younger the child the more severe because their body hasnt had long enough to build strong immunity up.
I thought if they were infected they would still be weepy n like you say chance of catching them. Will just see what he is like when she has contacted me. Its 5 days today since he started but she said they havent even started to scab yet.