PDA

View Full Version : My son had been diagnosed ADHD, What do I need to do?

peach
10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
We got his diagnosis yesterday he is 9.

I have informed my parents in writing and so far the ones today have been fine one of them doesnt even believe it lol

Do I need to tell ofsted?

Thanks x

Happy Bunny
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi my son has ADHD.
I haven't told Ofsted about him.

I only told my parents of his ADHD when he was having a difficult day.
The reason for that was as he was given time out upstairs to calm down and a parent was asking why it was so quiet LOL

Blaze
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I woulod recommend Dr Christopher Green's book on ADHD:thumbsup:

Happy Bunny
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Ditto highly recommend it.

peach
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks x

do I need to tell ofsted though?
or is just telling parents enough?

peach
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi my son has ADHD.
I haven't told Ofsted about him.

I only told my parents of his ADHD when he was having a difficult day.
The reason for that was as he was given time out upstairs to calm down and a parent was asking why it was so quiet LOL

lol x

Thank you x
I have told my parents then if he is bad when they are here they know we are trying to deal with it,
also one of my parents has a child in the same class and he is always in trouble at school she she knew anyway.

How do you find it childminding with him?
How old is he?

sorry so many questions lol Its new to me and I dont know any other minders with adhd children.

we have to go back to discuss his treatment ect its a relief just getting the diagnosis though x

Happy Bunny
10-05-2011, 10:20 AM
lol x

Thank you x
I have told my parents then if he is bad when they are here they know we are trying to deal with it,
also one of my parents has a child in the same class and he is always in trouble at school she she knew anyway.

How do you find it childminding with him?
How old is he?

sorry so many questions lol Its new to me and I dont know any other minders with adhd children.

we have to go back to discuss his treatment ect its a relief just getting the diagnosis though x

My son is 7, it has never caused any issues with my minding.
He is usually very loud and extremely boisterous but we accept him for what he is.
If his behaviour becomes a bit too much then he goes upstairs to calm down or i give him an activity to do to occupy him, whilst I deal with the others.
Minded children accept him as he is LOL he does annoy them at times but it has never caused an issue.

We have chosen not to give him medication due to his age, if his behaviour becomes a problem for the school and his education then we may reconsider this.

Definitely read the book, it gives a wonderful insight to understanding their behaviour.

We fought for 3 years to get him diagnosed, didn't want him labelled as a disruptive child when we knew there was a reason for his lack of attention and fidgeting. The school as really good and have put measures into place to help him when he is having a difficult day.

I wouldn't change him for the world he is highly intelligent, comical has a passion for bugs (much to my disgust when he feels the need to bring them in the house)

peach
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
My son is 7, it has never caused any issues with my minding.
He is usually very loud and extremely boisterous but we accept him for what he is.
If his behaviour becomes a bit too much then he goes upstairs to calm down or i give him an activity to do to occupy him, whilst I deal with the others.
Minded children accept him as he is LOL he does annoy them at times but it has never caused an issue.

We have chosen not to give him medication due to his age, if his behaviour becomes a problem for the school and his education then we may reconsider this.

Definitely read the book, it gives a wonderful insight to understanding their behaviour.

We fought for 3 years to get him diagnosed, didn't want him labelled as a disruptive child when we knew there was a reason for his lack of attention and fidgeting. The school as really good and have put measures into place to help him when he is having a difficult day.

I wouldn't change him for the world he is highly intelligent, comical has a passion for bugs (much to my disgust when he feels the need to bring them in the house)

we didnt want him labeled either but it has become a major issue at school too.
We have been fighting since he was 5 to have some help but we were told to wait.
He is quite inteigent too which is very frustrting as he is suffering at school because of it.
I is into football definatly niceer to bring home than bugs lol

my ds 2 is into creepy crawlies he wants to be a spider doctor when he is older lol

Happy Bunny
10-05-2011, 10:35 AM
The reason they say to wait is that it is hard sometimes to diagnose in younger children.
My health visitor and doctor were very good and pushed for my son to be assessed, I am glad they did as I wouldn't have wanted to wait until he was 9.

peach
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
The reason they say to wait is that it is hard sometimes to diagnose in younger children.
My health visitor and doctor were very good and pushed for my son to be assessed, I am glad they did as I wouldn't have wanted to wait until he was 9.

it has been a very long 9 years lol

part of the problem as much as its hard to admit was me.
I didnt want to accept there was something wrong or that I needed any help :blush:

alwaysright
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
i wouldnt think it necessary to inform ofsted. my daughter has epilepsy and i havent informed then, its a condition not an illness so they dont need to know, they only need to be told of notifiable diseases and no-one can catch adhd or epilepsy (lol) so dont worry :laughing: :laughing:

buildingblocks
10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Could you ask your local FIS for their advice on whether to tell Ofsted

mushpea
11-05-2011, 06:18 AM
my son was diagnosed with ADHD earlier this year , i didnt inform parents as it has nothing to do with them and dont want him to be seen differently , he can annoy the others sometimes but has never been violent towards them, he can be loud without realising it and dosent sit still for 2 secs and when we are out I have to watch it cause he hop, skips and jumps off everywhere and the littlies tend to follow him, but other than that he dosent cause any problems for work.

Hebs
11-05-2011, 06:24 AM
my son has ADHD and only 2 of my parents know, parents dont need to know as it isn't really any of their business just like if you had a mindee with a medical condition you would keep confidiantiality

and no ofsted dont need to know x

Lady Haha
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM

I have suspected, no, I have KNOWN my nine year old son has ADHD for three years now, but I can't get a diagnosis. Probably would have realised before that, but I didn't know anything a bout ADHD until I started looking up his various 'symptoms' online.

Just been on Amazon and looked at the booked and ordered it. You can 'look inside' on Amazon and just reading it has had me in tears of frustration that I can't get my son diagnosed. Especially reading that there is 'no one test' to diagnose it and that countless parents have been to see several different 'professionals' before finally getting the diagnosis.

I took my son to our GP who referred us to Paediatrition (sp). I was sent a 'tick' form of different syptoms and so was the school. I took my son to see Paediatrition and she agreed it did seem he showed a lot of symptoms, but as the school's 'tick' form didn't tally up with mine, she couldn't make a diagnosis.....as it needs to be present in another setting as well as home (to prove its not my rubbish parenting I suppose!). The thing is, it DOES show it self at school, but the teachers just cant see it! He doesn't get up out of his seat and stand on tables, but he does fidget and poke the other kids and try to distract them relentlessly. The school knew he struggles academically and in parents evenings I'm often told he's a dreamer or off with the fairies. That he's very intelligent, but just can't apply himself without constant adult supervision. They even put him in a 'nurture group' of six children from all different ages every afternoon from last October because he lacked social skills.

At home he is always on the go, never stops talking and can't seem to realise when other kids just want to be left alone. He takes it personally if they want to do something he doesn't want to do. I struggle to get homework down as I have sit with him the entire time and teach him his maths cos he can never remember what he got taught in class. But by the time he goes back to school the next day, he's forgotten it again.

Arrrrghhhh!!! What a rant!!! Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest!!! I could go on for pages and pages more but I won't bore you! I have just moved him to a new school in the hope that a fresh start might help as I had given up on the idea of ever getting him diagnosed for ADHD.

But, I am going to go back to the GP again and get this sorted once and for all! I can't let him suffer any longer!:crying:

Hebs
11-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I have suspected, no, I have KNOWN my nine year old son has ADHD for three years now, but I can't get a diagnosis. Probably would have realised before that, but I didn't know anything a bout ADHD until I started looking up his various 'symptoms' online.

Just been on Amazon and looked at the booked and ordered it. You can 'look inside' on Amazon and just reading it has had me in tears of frustration that I can't get my son diagnosed. Especially reading that there is 'no one test' to diagnose it and that countless parents have been to see several different 'professionals' before finally getting the diagnosis.

I took my son to our GP who referred us to Paediatrition (sp). I was sent a 'tick' form of different syptoms and so was the school. I took my son to see Paediatrition and she agreed it did seem he showed a lot of symptoms, but as the school's 'tick' form didn't tally up with mine, she couldn't make a diagnosis.....as it needs to be present in another setting as well as home (to prove its not my rubbish parenting I suppose!). The thing is, it DOES show it self at school, but the teachers just cant see it! He doesn't get up out of his seat and stand on tables, but he does fidget and poke the other kids and try to distract them relentlessly. The school knew he struggles academically and in parents evenings I'm often told he's a dreamer or off with the fairies. That he's very intelligent, but just can't apply himself without constant adult supervision. They even put him in a 'nurture group' of six children from all different ages every afternoon from last October because he lacked social skills.

At home he is always on the go, never stops talking and can't seem to realise when other kids just want to be left alone. He takes it personally if they want to do something he doesn't want to do. I struggle to get homework down as I have sit with him the entire time and teach him his maths cos he can never remember what he got taught in class. But by the time he goes back to school the next day, he's forgotten it again.

Arrrrghhhh!!! What a rant!!! Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest!!! I could go on for pages and pages more but I won't bore you! I have just moved him to a new school in the hope that a fresh start might help as I had given up on the idea of ever getting him diagnosed for ADHD.

But, I am going to go back to the GP again and get this sorted once and for all! I can't let him suffer any longer!:crying:

same thing happened with me but i knew the school would "play it down" so when we went for the review i took ALL of his school reports where the school had noted his difficulties, which totally contridicted what they'd put on the CONNERS FORM, you have to fight and keep fighting, i took 4 years to get a diagnosis for my son xxxxx

and ADHD child are very intillgent, my son has a private tutor once a week (paid for out of his DLA) and he has been having one on one lessons once a week with his headmistress, and she says the difference between his ability in class and ability one on one is HUGE, too many distractions in a classroom, and is another typical ADHD behaviour xxx

Lady Haha
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
same thing happened with me but i knew the school would "play it down" so when we went for the review i took ALL of his school reports where the school had noted his difficulties, which totally contridicted what they'd put on the CONNERS FORM, you have to fight and keep fighting, i took 4 years to get a diagnosis for my son xxxxx

and ADHD child are very intillgent, my son has a private tutor once a week (paid for out of his DLA) and he has been having one on one lessons once a week with his headmistress, and she says the difference between his ability in class and ability one on one is HUGE, too many distractions in a classroom, and is another typical ADHD behaviour xxx

Thanks Hebs x I have got all my sons reports and went through them a while ago and realised that there were signs in reception, I just wasn't clued up about ADHD then. In that first report one of the things mentioned is something along lines of him being very adult dependent, can't remember the term off hand, but obviously it meant he is completely exhausting!!! Just got his Literacy record back from the school I took him out of and it dates back to Reception and in that year there are notes saying his concentration is very poor and he guesses random answers rather than try. Another bit says 'Kai was not keen to do this on his own and did of alot of copying and saying he didn't know. Motiviation is the biggest issue and as a result it's difficult to say what he can and can't do.'

I think I should maybe leave it for a few weeks cos he has only been at his new school for three weeks and thats' not enough time for the teachers to really notice a pattern. Any disruptive behaviour or lack of concentration now will be put down to the fact that he's still new (even though he settled right in on the first day and says he feels like he's always been there!)