PDA

View Full Version : Pls Help Parent doesn't think new contract is 'necessary'

acorns
09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a parent changing from all year to term time only 3 days per week. I've done a new contract for this. She is a uni student and mindee will be off all summer. From September he will still be 3 days per week, but different days to now. So I have also done a contract which will start in September, detailed on there the first 6 weeks fees due 12 weeks prior to the start of the September contract as a deposit & which will hold the place over the summer. I've given both contracts to her now. She has queried that she thinks a new contract for September is not necessary. I did it as I thought change of days means new contract and also on there her deposit for the place will be stated that it will cover the fees for Sep/Oct. She's saying that her original deposit should cover it, but she only paid a 2 week deposit and want's me to hold the place from July to end September. Am I right in what i have done? She also says it's a lot of money to pay for childcare & they will get into debt, but 85% of it is paid by childcare grant anyway, so i think she has a bit of a cheek with that one! TIA

Baildon bears
09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I would do 4 weeks notice on contract now, then do one new contract stating on it days doing now but in September will change to such and such days, I have term time contracts and would not expect my parents to pay deposit over the hols, my term timers don't pay over hols at all. I would only do a deposit for a new starter. Hope this helps and I have read your post correctly:blush:

acorns
09-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I would do 4 weeks notice on contract now, then do one new contract stating on it days doing now but in September will change to such and such days, I have term time contracts and would not expect my parents to pay deposit over the hols, my term timers don't pay over hols at all. I would only do a deposit for a new starter. Hope this helps and I have read your post correctly:blush:

Does that mean that you don't have anything to hold the place & would beturning away business through the summer? I've requested a deposit so that if they don't turn up in September (they are going abroad for 2 months), at least I have a'cushion' while i advertise.

miffy
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I would do as you are doing Acorns - new contract from September because of the change of days plus retainer/deposit to cover through the holidays plus one month's fees from September.

If she does not return from abroad or changes her mind during the holidays or loses her college place you are left high and dry with no money!!

Miffy xx

Baildon bears
09-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I suppose it depends how well you know the parent, I have a good relationship with term time parents and thought nothing is completely safe I know parents will come back in September so don't feel the need to charge, i prefer a term time contract as I like to spend that time with my children and I have enough little ones to pay the way in hols. If you feel like she might not come back you could ask for 1 months deposit. Other wise you could tell her a term time contract is not suitable for you and she would have to pay half over hols, it's your buisness your choose.

debratina
09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
i dont want to sound harsh but does the parent have to show the uni your contract to get the funding? if so i wonder if thats why she doesnt want a new contract with less hours.
Debra

acorns
09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
i dont want to sound harsh but does the parent have to show the uni your contract to get the funding? if so i wonder if thats why she doesnt want a new contract with less hours.
Debra

Not as far as I know. I complete a form each term (only had them for 1 term so far) which states how much they have paid me or are due to pay me and the funding is based on that i think.

Dragonfly
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I'd expect she would have to show the Uni the new contraction, or at least fill in Septembers funding forms to get the funding and she couldnt lie on the form,she would have to put the correct amount for september if it had changed.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Sounds like it is the money she is querying ot the contract. 12 weeks deposit sounds a lot

caz3007
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I'd expect she would have to show the Uni the new contraction, or at least fill in Septembers funding forms to get the funding and she couldnt lie on the form,she would have to put the correct amount for september if it had changed.

I have had uni parents and they ask for the funding and then you have to fill in a form each term stating how much they have paid, so they cant get away with asking for more or would have to pay it back.

I also think 12 weeks deposit is quite a lot too. I have had term time only parents and always trusted they will come back. I have just been told some wont be coming here in September (been here 4 years and now getting too old) , but that gives me some time to find some new business

acorns
09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Sounds like it is the money she is querying ot the contract. 12 weeks deposit sounds a lot

Sorry:blush: , I'm not asking for 12 weeks deposit!! It's 6 weeks deposit, which will be taken as the first 6 weeks fees when he comes back. I've asked for it 12 weeks in advance as this is the most in advance you can ask according to the ncma contract. She has told me some minor white lies and been a bit 'on the turn' with me at times & that is why i feel I cannot fully trust them. It also covers me for anything unforseen on their part.

buildingblocks
09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Whether I trusted the parent or not I would always have a new contract if things changed drastically to it.

Also didn't know that about the NCMA contracts saying a deposit can only be charged for 12 weeks in advance (need to reread them I think lol). I no longer charge a retainer so I would charge a deposit for longer than that will need to see exactly what it says - oops.

At the end of the day it is your business and you can do what you want to - re doing new contracts and your deposit if parent doesn't agree then you need to sit down and find out exactly what her problems are over it.

ChocolateChip
09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I would stick to your guns hunny, sounds like you have a gut instinct about this one and need to follow it!
It feels like she is querying at having to find the extra deposit money, you said she already paid a 2 week deposit, could you carry that over for her so in effect she only has to find the other 4 weeks money?
Also could she overpay for a few weeks to make some of it up?
Have to be honest, I think I would struggle to find that amount of deposit while still paying, iyswim but I understand your concerns in case she doesn't come back, just trying to find a way round it for you.

Trouble
09-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Debra

just what i was thinking

acorns
09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have emailed parent tonight to say that I still need the 6 week deposit for September/Oct, but that they can pay half in June & half in july. I would have given them the option of paying a retainer instead of a large deposit but since they are abroad for most of the time they are away i think there's a slim chance i'll see any of it. She's a late payer at the best of times. the baby takes my only under 1 space so i'm being a bit tough with this one & sticking to my guns:)

acorns
09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I would stick to your guns hunny, sounds like you have a gut instinct about this one and need to follow it!
It feels like she is querying at having to find the extra deposit money, you said she already paid a 2 week deposit, could you carry that over for her so in effect she only has to find the other 4 weeks money?
Also could she overpay for a few weeks to make some of it up?
Have to be honest, I think I would struggle to find that amount of deposit while still paying, iyswim but I understand your concerns in case she doesn't come back, just trying to find a way round it for you.

The place is only actually costing her £21 per week the rest is funded, so a 6 week deposit is not as much as it seems for her. I'm wondering if maybe she has spent the grant money....

miffy
10-05-2011, 06:41 AM
The place is only actually costing her £21 per week the rest is funded, so a 6 week deposit is not as much as it seems for her. I'm wondering if maybe she has spent the grant money....

Maybe she's claimed the grant and is going to do a runner so doesn't want to pay you.

I do think it's odd that she's making a fuss about it now, it's not like she doesn't know your system or that she's paying the whole lot herself.

Will be interested to see what happens............

Miffy xx

flora
10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
I think in this job there is always the temptation to give the paretns the benefit of the doubt and then the poor cm end up being left high and dry.:(

You know this lass and how she behaves, from what you have posted, stick to your guns and she will either take it or leave it. Either way you and you business are covered. :thumbsup:

acorns
10-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for your replies - this forum always gives me confidence in what i want to say and to go to a parent with it:) I'll find out later today what she wants to do, they are the type that seem to think everythings up for negotiation, I wouldn't want to lose them, but at the same time I'm getting about an enquiry a week and have a prospective parents coming on Friday. I can't really see what the problem is as she has been paid the money already and think she is just saying this for the sake of not agreeing to what i've aasked for straight away, they have metioned before that they pay my wages and tax! and also 'agreed' that i could have some time off!! Didn't realise they were my employers:rolleyes:

jumpinjen
10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Perhaps they are panicking over the money because even if only £21 of it per week is down to them, they will not yet have the grant to cover September's fees so they need to pay you about £840 three months ahead (based on a rough calculation of you saying that £21 is down to parents and they have 85% paid by uni).... both me and my husband work and we would struggle to produce £840 on top of this months and next months household bills without struggling to pay for food and petrol as well!!

I understand that if you doubt this family then you want to cover yourself but I can also see their point of view about it being a lot of money.....

Hope you get it sorted amicably,

jen x

acorns
11-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Still not heard back from Parent, other than to say they will see me tomorrow morning:eek: I'm going to give a copy of my fees policy (she has had it already) but I'm adding in a new bit about term time contracts, to say that I dont charge a retainer fee but will require a 2 week deposit to be paid prior to the summer break which will be offset against Septembers fees to hold the place over the summer. This is in addition to the 4 week deposit paid at the start of the contract which is kept until child leaves my care.
Now, in the case of this parent I have only a 2 week inital deposit & have asked for further 4 weeks deposit which will pay Septembers fees (to be paid over 2 months). So do I need to give 4 weeks notice of my policy change or can I just tell her that's my policy now and applies to the new contract starting in September?