PDA

View Full Version : Nannycam story on BBC Breakfast!

Gherkin
28-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Argh. Have just been watching BBC Breakfast news on BBC1 this morningn and they are having a story about nannycams and the growth in use of secret cameras that parents are using to secretly film nannies who work int he parents homes. The presenters keep stating that they are used to watch nannies and childminders!!!!!

I personally feel that they are talking out of turn because these products are targeted to use in your own home and yet again they seem to be linking childminders in with unregulated nannies. :angry:

Fandangles
28-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Oh God they can't do that can they? I might have to take the children out of their cages!!!:eek:

Only kidding - honest:D

I personally would not want to work with parents who did not trust me and I certainly don't want to be watched every minute of the day.

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Heaven forbid

What would we do if we wanted a crafty look in the forum haha

Angel xx

sarah707
28-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Oh dear... I would hate to be on show all day... :eek:

Twinkles
28-04-2008, 08:43 AM
What this programme failed to state is that while it is perfectly legal to do this in your own home and at a nursery, it is against the law ( thank goodness ) to plant one in someone else's home.
It wouldn't be allowed for someone to, say , put one in a teddy bear and send it to a minders house.
TBH if you don't trust the person you've employed to care for your child why the **** did you employ them ??

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Thank goodness its against the law

It would be horrible and you would not be able to relax at all

Angel xxx

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 08:51 AM
No they cant do it - no one would have the right to enter our homes and install cameras to spy on us and our families. With regard to nannies people can put what they want in their own homes and watch their own families as much as they want but they would have no right to watch other peoples children in our homes there are lots of legal inplications with this so I don't think we could ever be asked to do it.

So lets not worry there.

Spangles
28-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I think it sounds like another case of the media not fully understanding what childminders are, they just sound muddled to me.

TBH if I had a nanny I might consider filming them to check all was well as people can be so awful. They could be mistreating your child or stealing off you or using your phone constantly, bla bla bla.

You see so many programmes on tv about nannies hitting children, ignoring them, swinging them round by their arms, etc that it would worry me. You can't always tell what a person is like, some people are very clever at coming across trustworthy and loving when they are not. I know it's rare for a nanny to mistreat your children but I would need to be sure.

Blaze
28-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Legally they can't..but in reality i can see it happening!:rolleyes:

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Dont say things like that Blaze ha

xxx

deeb66
28-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Legally they can't..but in reality i can see it happening!:rolleyes:

I am afraid that I agree with Blaze.

Afterall the child comes with a bag or toy everyday.....who knows what is planted in there.......

Unless the parent confronts you about anything you have no way of knowing.:mad:

Tickles
28-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi all, one of my parents mentioned it to me thismorning, though i hadnt seen it myself.
I told him that i think if someone was doing that there is obviously no trust & why would ypu then be leaving your child in the first place!!!!
I also told him it's against the law & you have to remember that by doing this you are not only filming the childminder unlawfully but any other child that the childminder cares for!!!!

I hate it when things like that are on news etc as they do give childminders a bad name.

Joanne

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh well our childrens toys go in their bags until sleep and pick up times so if they have gone to the expence of putting a camera in them then tough it will make pretty boreing watching.

Twinkles
28-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Right , that's it ....I'm frisking the children ( and their teddies ) every morning :D

deeb66
28-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I must be honest.....I put all the childrens bags in my sons bedroom and shut the door so if there is any spyware equipment in there they would be rather unlucky wouldn't they :rolleyes:

Never checked the teddies/toys though........If I ever did find something then I think I would terminate the contract as I would feel violated!

berkschick
28-04-2008, 12:12 PM
All the bags stay in the hallway as they have a habit of emptying each others then I cant remember whose wipes were whose! Lol

I think it was wrong to have related this to Childminders as it was not relevant to us this morning as it only showed them in the parents home.

Gherkin
28-04-2008, 01:47 PM
All the bags stay in the hallway as they have a habit of emptying each others then I cant remember whose wipes were whose! Lol

I think it was wrong to have related this to Childminders as it was not relevant to us this morning as it only showed them in the parents home.

They were also showing clips from "Whistleblower" when they went into the nurseries.

I just get so annoyed when childminders get tainted with the same brush as nurseries/nannies etc.

ma7ie
28-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Right , that's it ....I'm frisking the children ( and their teddies ) every morning :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
28-04-2008, 02:07 PM
oh dear:(

one of my mums used to be a 'spy' in the RAF and hubby always used to rib me she put bugs everywhere:laughing:

but tbh, I have nothing to hide, but don't like the idea of being watched:eek:

Pipsqueak
28-04-2008, 02:48 PM
This might sound paranoid (I probably am!:rolleyes: ) but I sometimes I wondered if the PFH did that - it was eerily spooky sometimes that they sometimes seemed to know what we had done during the day or sometimes mum would come out with something I had been saying during the day and she'd wink!
She would often say that a woman she works with sometimes used her dictaphone to record conversations when she was out of the office and she had thought about doing that to her hubby.

OMG perhaps I hope I am paranoid actually!:D :D

nannan
28-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I never saw the programme this morning, but it is typical of the media to tar us the same as nannies and nurseries thank goodness its illegal for the parents to film us, we wouldnt be able to relax

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 04:38 PM
If anyone dreamt of violating my civil rights in this manner their feet and the feet of their darling little children wouldn't touch the ground when I got hold of them they'd be out my door quicker than I could say 'out'!!!!!!!!!!!!

littletreasures
28-04-2008, 07:00 PM
In the headline news just now on BBC1, they just said that sales of secret cameras have increased so parents can spy on childminders!!! No mention of nannies or anyone else.

Makes me so cross!!

littletreasures

Spangles
28-04-2008, 07:24 PM
How on earth could they spy on us? I still think they are misusing the 'childminder' job title, I don't think parents could spy on us and if they did I'm sure we could sue them for infringement of our human rights or something similar.

It's annoying that media misuse our job title and then issue misleading stories. They should get their facts straight and NCMA should improve public awareness as they promise to do.

flora
28-04-2008, 08:00 PM
This story is always doing the rounds periodically. When I nannied 15yrs ago the story broke and nanny cam was hidden in a bear. Typically this was in the states. Some nurseries offer a webcam feature that you can log on ( all password protected etc etc) and see what your little one is up to at anytime.

Think it has to do with all the media hyping parents paranoia about rougue nannys/ nurserys/ childminders.

Comes down to trust in the end.If you don't have that you have nothing :(

MissTinkerbell
29-04-2008, 04:35 PM
What worries me is the break of confidentiality - thank goodness its illegal. If not what would concern me, would pictures of my own children plastered over unseemly sites on the Net for all sorts of wierdos.

buildingblocks
29-04-2008, 05:37 PM
TBH if you don't trust the person you've employed to care for your child why the **** did you employ them ??

I completely agree.

I heard of someone today who made a complaint against their childminder (completely unfounded) but is still sending their child there. find that bizarre as if you felt strongly enough about something to complain to OFsted why would you keep sending your child there

Schnakes
29-04-2008, 09:16 PM
In my more paranoid moments I wonder if there is a nannycam type thing with my kiddies..for example, I was moaning to one of my minder friends about a client in front of a baby. I said to him "ooh, arent we terrible, moaning like this in front of you, I hope I never have to moan about your mum"....and immediately thought "oh god, I hope his mums not recording this!!!

Its programmes like Panorama and the like making me feel para though...Im sure of it....nothing to do with any mental instabilities I may or may not have....nooooooo!!! ;) :laughing:

Sx

vix84
30-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh no, I used to Nanny, imagine them seeing me picking my knickers out my bum, or my pants hanging out my trousers!!

But yeah, I think someone should write to the BBC and point out there error about job titles and explain what a Childminder is, and ask them to clarify if they actually meant Childminder, or Nanny!

Gherkin
30-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh I sent them an email as soon as I saw the news story it read:

["I feel very strongly that the way you presented the story on Nannycams this morning is detrimental to childminders.

It needs to be made clear that Nannies are for the most part unregulated whereas to become a childminder stringent checks are carried out (criminal records checks for anyone aged 16 and over who is regularly in your home, health checks) and then childminders are regulated by Ofsted the same body that regulates schools and nurseries in England.

Childminders work in their own homes where the Nanny cams are targeted at people working in the home of the child i.e. nannies.

By linking childminders with unregulated nannies you are doing them a disservice. Having used childminders for my own children and now being a childminder I am offended at the way you have presented our profession.

Probably not the best way to word it and I was a bit horrid about nannies coz they are for the most part good - it ias alway s the odd bad egg that wrecks the name of the good.

Jinx
30-04-2008, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=cheekymonkeys07;130828]Oh I sent them an email as soon as I saw the news story

QUOTE]

Well done You :clapping: :clapping:

Thats telling them.

Jinx x

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I completely agree.

I heard of someone today who made a complaint against their childminder (completely unfounded) but is still sending their child there. find that bizarre as if you felt strongly enough about something to complain to OFsted why would you keep sending your child there

WHAT?????? Never mind the parent still sending the kid there - the minder still has the kids (mind you I guess no sweeter satisfaction than smiling ever so sweetly every morning lol)

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh I sent them an email as soon as I saw the news story it read:

["I feel very strongly that the way you presented the story on Nannycams this morning is detrimental to childminders.

It needs to be made clear that Nannies are for the most part unregulated whereas to become a childminder stringent checks are carried out (criminal records checks for anyone aged 16 and over who is regularly in your home, health checks) and then childminders are regulated by Ofsted the same body that regulates schools and nurseries in England.

Childminders work in their own homes where the Nanny cams are targeted at people working in the home of the child i.e. nannies.

By linking childminders with unregulated nannies you are doing them a disservice. Having used childminders for my own children and now being a childminder I am offended at the way you have presented our profession.

Probably not the best way to word it and I was a bit horrid about nannies coz they are for the most part good - it ias alway s the odd bad egg that wrecks the name of the good.

Good for you Cheeky:clapping: :clapping:

Let us know the response please