PDA

View Full Version : Visitors

Helcatt
08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I know some of you have a sheet, some of you have a book, some of you don't bother at all

Those of you that do,
do you get the person to fill in and sign,
you fill in, they sign
you write in who was there and you sign?

And what are your reasons for doing it that way?

I had a book but it wasn't really working well for me and am trying to think what I want to do now. I don't have many people here anyway and not when I'm working so its not like there'll be loads in it

HX

The Juggler
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't have one :blush:

rickysmiths
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't have one, no point I'm not a hotel or institution.

Polly2
09-05-2011, 06:56 AM
I have a book I made - its a requirement in Wales. I fill in myself, name, date, time arrived, reason for visit, time left.

buildingblocks
09-05-2011, 08:14 AM
i have a sheet made on computer just columns
Date
Child's/Visitors name
reason for visit (if confidential leave blank/no reason if child)
time in
signature
time out
signature

Used to have just one signature till I had different people dropping and picking up then realised needed two signatures

one in playroom used for children and their parents if they stay longer than dropping off (used to have a parent who would drop off and sit for an hour - a friend so found this hard and strangely making her sign in put her off)

one by front door for other visitors

Penny1959
09-05-2011, 08:32 AM
I have book - I fill in - no one signs (apart from Mrs P - who wanted to sign and did and I didn't bother saying that I usually do it).

As it is not a requirement - I just like to have record of who has visited.

Penny :)

catminder
09-05-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't have one, the way I see it it's unnecessary paperwork, I have enough paperwork as it is. I ensure that my mindees are not left alone with visitors - I don't get many anyway - only the gas man to mend my boiler.

Mouse
09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
If I have a visitor I write it at the bottom of my attendance register.

I just put who came, what time & why (eg. plumber, 10.30-10.45am, fixed toilet). It's not a requirement to keep a record, but I find it handy having it in my register, so if there was ever a query I could easily see which children were here at the time.

loocyloo
09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
i have a visitors for when i have minded children in the house.

i try to get people to sign it, but usually i just fill it in!

christine e
09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a sheet in my attendance file. I write in name of visitor and company (if applicable) reason for visit time of arrival and time of departure. I do this so that if an allegation was every made about a visitor then I may be able to identify who it was and when.

Cx

rickysmiths
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a sheet in my attendance file. I write in name of visitor and company (if applicable) reason for visit time of arrival and time of departure. I do this so that if an allegation was every made about a visitor then I may be able to identify who it was and when.

Cx

I have read this and another thread with interest.

Who would make an allegation about the visitor? How could one be made as you are with the children at all times if such a visitor were in your house? It does make me simle because it sounds sometimes as if we are to safeguard against all the visitors to our house. It makes it sound as if we could have hoards of visitors milling around. Surely this never happens? It doesn't in my house. If a workman has to come in to mend something I have the children with me all the time, the workman wouldn't get anywhwere near them. If it is a friend or relative then the same would apply, I would be with the children.

I just feel sad that all these 'extra' bits of paperwork serve to take us further and further away from a home and nearer to being an Institution. That is not why I childmind. When someone can really give a concrete explaination as to why we need a visitors book then I might do it but I think someone in a office somewhere dreamt this up.

I suspect this came about as a result of an incident with a child a good few years ago and I think it was a gas fitter. However the child, about 2 or 3yrs I think, was left alone and it was in someones home not at a childminders.

christine e
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I have read this and another thread with interest.

Who would make an allegation about the visitor? How could one be made as you are with the children at all times if such a visitor were in your house? It does make me simle because it sounds sometimes as if we are to safeguard against all the visitors to our house. It makes it sound as if we could have hoards of visitors milling around. Surely this never happens? It doesn't in my house. If a workman has to come in to mend something I have the children with me all the time, the workman wouldn't get anywhwere near them. If it is a friend or relative then the same would apply, I would be with the children.

I just feel sad that all these 'extra' bits of paperwork serve to take us further and further away from a home and nearer to being an Institution. That is not why I childmind. When someone can really give a concrete explaination as to why we need a visitors book then I might do it but I think someone in a office somewhere dreamt this up.

I suspect this came about as a result of an incident with a child a good few years ago and I think it was a gas fitter. However the child, about 2 or 3yrs I think, was left alone and it was in someones home not at a childminders.

A child could make an allegation or a comment about a visitor to their parents and having a visitors book would help me identify who it was because the child might not be able to name them. I don't want to turn this into a battle - I choose to record and you choose not to.

Cx

buildingblocks
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree with Christine if it is not a legal requirement then it is down to personal choice what we do as childminders similar to why some of us wear 'uniforms'e.g. my polo shirts with my logo on.

I am still a childminder offering home from home care and I don't see myself any different to those who don't A visitors log doesn't make me any different in fact local preschools and nurseries don't sign in so I am not the same as they are lol.

I went down the route of having signing in sheets so I didn't need to have a register sheet for each child (even though I now need this due to hubby having sole care occasionally).

sarah707
09-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Cx

This is exactly what I do.

I have heard of a case where a child made an allegation to parents and it was shown, by the childminder producing the visitor log, that the person hadn't been there on the day the child had said.

Some children tell tales... some parents believe everything their children say.

A visitor book / record sheet / note in diary etc is a very simple way of protecting both ourselves and the visitor.

Hth :D