PDA

View Full Version : History of Childcare

Pipsqueak
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
does anyone PLEASE have a link to a timeline/history of childcare... like Childcare Acts/Bills, significant events that changed childcare....

PLEASE

I have lost (mislaid I hope) my memory stick with all that sort of thing on it and its driving me nuts..... need it for the diss!

buildingblocks
08-05-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.childcarelounge.com/articles/milestones.htm

is this what you are after just Googled childcare timeline and got this

Pipsqueak
08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Kate but I need more the UK stuff significant events

Been googling and I think Google actually hates me! lol

are you coming to the NE regional next week?

buildingblocks
08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes realised after I posted it. not coming to the NE one as this year ours is on the same day only about 30 min drive away so couldn't warrant the cost of a trip up your way. Mind you still haven't heard anything via confirmation so may end up there lol

Twinkle-Toes
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I am doing the CYPOP unit 5 and one of the questions from that is what current legislation do we as childminders have to abide/have regard to?

Eg: Childrens act/date/brief synopsis

Is that something like you're after?

Pipsqueak
08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I have the start of a timeline from 1830's and the introduction of Infant Life Protection Act... so yes

the significant events between then and now... leading up to Childcare Act, EYFS.

Thanks

Its driving me bats now... where IS my blooming memory stick...... it has my proposal on it as well......

Twinkle-Toes
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I can send you what i wrote for the task if you pm your email address. See if it helps?

Blaze
08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
All I could find is this:

http://www.childminding-success.co.uk/business/history-of-childminding/

HTH:)

...Will keep looking!

Blaze
08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
There is also this (page 13), but my first link is more of a timeline as it were!

Taken from page 13:

Centre for Research in Early Childhood
THE OECD THEMATIC REVIEW OF EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND CARE: Background Report
See page 13 of this document.
Some things it mentions are:
Childminders and Nurseries Regulation Act 1948
Health Services and Public Health Act 1968
Social Services taking over registration of childminders in the 1970's.
In 1977, the BBC ran 19 programmes called "Other People’s Children", which was aimed at training childminders. This encouraged childminders to network, and the NCMA was born.

Children Act 1989 - this is often cited as being a significant Act in the childcare field. So if you are writing about how legislation has affected childminders, probably best to include reference to the Children Act 1989.

buildingblocks
08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Have you tried looking up relevant theorists as there may be some info that way

sonia ann
08-05-2011, 06:49 PM
http://www.ncb.org.uk/resources/library_information_service/key_legislation.aspx

try this xx

Blaze
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
All I could find is this:

http://www.childminding-success.co.uk/business/history-of-childminding/

HTH:)

...Will keep looking!

Think this is the best out of what I could find ...would be better in bullet points rather than paragraphs though!

The Juggler
08-05-2011, 09:38 PM
oh god hon what a task. I could pull a few out if I read all my assignments but not off top of my head AND I'm sure my assignemnts would have missed a few. Is there no way to access the list of all historical legislation on the House of Commons Website???

You've probably tried already but have you tried googling on google scholar 'key historical changes in nursery education' or 'key changes in nursery education' or look in one of your text book biblios, say one about Froebel, Macmillan or a broader one, most of these have key legislation and frameworks in them... but you'd probably still have to build on it :(

If you can find a good book on your uni's Athens/Ebrary about Historical Perspectives of Nursery Education you'll probably be able to access that books biblio for most of them??

Can search a few of my text books if you like. let me know hon x