PDA

View Full Version : Claiming unpaid fees

buzzy bee
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know... If a parent had given me a cheque and I forgot to pay it in, and then realised my error 18 months later, LEGALLY is there anything I can do if the parent refuses to pay it?
Thanks!

Hebs
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
yes as they are liable for the fees for 6 years :thumbsup:

Alibali
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM

I didn't know that!

I know you can only present a cheque for 6 months, and they did pay, it was your error not to pay it in.
Keep us posted on how it goes:)

Hebs
07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
you can reclaim money owed up to 6 years from when it was owed

despite them giving a cheque, and minder forgetting to bank it they are still liable to pay

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I think they will be a little upset as they will have thought it was paid in. You will need to show them and explain. Although this is your error they are still liable to pay as they are £x better off and you are still £x worse off as you never received the money.

Maybe you could offer that they could pay it in installments over a number of months, depending on how much it is.

the happy house
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
hmmm, I think that, although they may well still be liable to pay the fees, I'd let it go. If I didn't pay cheque in 18 months ago, I think I'd feel much to embarrassed to raise it as an issue now. I'd just write it off.

miffy
07-05-2011, 05:00 PM

That's a new one on me!

If I was still looking after the children then I'd ask the parents for a new cheque but I don't think I'd be chasing parents who'd left iyswim.

Miffy xx

Hebs
07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
That's a new one on me!

If I was still looking after the children then I'd ask the parents for a new cheque but I don't think I'd be chasing parents who'd left iyswim.

Miffy xx

if a parent leaves owing money you have 6 years to reclaim it,

I was told this by NCMA and a private solicitor :thumbsup:

its not only childminders, and person/company who is owed money have 6 years to file a claim to court :D

miffy
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I wasn't doubting you Hebs - just never come across that before.

Now wondering who might owe me money! :D

Miffy xx

Hebs
07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I wasn't doubting you Hebs - just never come across that before.

Now wondering who might owe me money! :D

Miffy xx

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: