PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Wales, CSSIW instead of Ofsted?

cornetjo
27-04-2008, 08:22 PM
There seems to be loads on here about Ofsted reports/inspections etc. But I live in South Wales and am pre-reg but will go through CSSIW. Does anyone know if they work the same as Ofsted, or are their rules different? I am just about to do my ICP exam (this week), then have a mentoring session next week when I am giving Part 2 of the application. I have been told it then takes 6 months to process. I didnt realise it would take this long. Why couldn't we have applied first and then done the ICP course whilst it was being processed?

ruby
27-04-2008, 08:29 PM
yes we are from Wales but things have changed a lot since we started(14/8yrs ago ).
so sorry we won't be able to help you with the registration process.

i am sure some of the other will see you thread and be able to answer you.

and yes cssiw do some things different than ofsted

if we can help any further than please let us know

cathy

ruby
27-04-2008, 08:30 PM
sorry just noticed your location we live about 10 miles from you

small world isn't it

cathy

tulip0803
27-04-2008, 08:39 PM
There seems to be loads on here about Ofsted reports/inspections etc. But I live in South Wales and am pre-reg but will go through CSSIW. Does anyone know if they work the same as Ofsted, or are their rules different? I am just about to do my ICP exam (this week), then have a mentoring session next week when I am giving Part 2 of the application. I have been told it then takes 6 months to process. I didnt realise it would take this long. Why couldn't we have applied first and then done the ICP course whilst it was being processed?

CSSIW work different to OFSTED we work to different standards. We have 21 standards. We do not have to do EYFS which is coming into England in Sept.

We asked why we couldn't apply first at our briefing session and was told that they were wasting money on people who dropped out the process?! And they wanted to be sure that everyone was committed:rolleyes: .

You also have to have all your policies written and lots of evidence to hand in with your part 2 which you will have explained on the mentoring session. Writing the policies alone took a couple of weeks:(

I was a registered minder in England and moved to Wales I had already done my ICP but I still had to attend the briefing and mentoring session before I could hand my parts 1&2 in. I handed them in before Xmas and still have not been inspected:( .

CSSIW are very thorough every bit of paperwork has to be to their satisfaction before they will come out to inspect.

manjay
27-04-2008, 09:39 PM
As Julia says CSSIW require you to do a lot before registration. When I first started the process you were able to hand in your Part 1 before your ICP so they could get CRBs, references and medical questionarres completed early on in the process. Unfortunately just after this they decided they wanted the Part 1 & 2 together after your ICP and mentoring session. The Part 2 and all the policies you have to write do put people off and so money was being wasted. I handed my application in in may and my registration went through in November but they did file my CRB when it was returned instead of passing it to an inspector.

good luck
amanda x

twofishes
28-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh no this is a bit disappointing..I too was hoping to get set up and running by Mid September, can't get on a briefing session until mid June so then is it 6months from then? what a nightmare!! :panic: stupidly though it was about 3-4months!
daughter starts preschool in September my current Childcare can't do pick ups and drop offs and I need to work so thought Childminding was ideal solution....
S'pose will have to find an evening job until am registered:(

tulip0803
28-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh no this is a bit disappointing..I too was hoping to get set up and running by Mid September, can't get on a briefing session until mid June so then is it 6months from then? what a nightmare!! :panic: stupidly though it was about 3-4months!
daughter starts preschool in September my current Childcare can't do pick ups and drop offs and I need to work so thought Childminding was ideal solution....
S'pose will have to find an evening job until am registered:(

Hi there

I think its about 6 months from handing the application forms in. Which you cannot do until you have done the ICP course, which you have to book after the breifing session. It is a long slog but worth it - eventually.:)

I had to go to a breifing session in Oct last year and could not hand my forms in until December and am still waiting for inspection. You may be lucky and be registered by CSSIW by the end of the year.

twofishes
28-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.. Hmm thats seems to be the general experience :(
have just rung the local CSSIW office where I am going for briefing and asked how long on average does it take to get registered and she said about 3 months ( but she didn't sound very sure:) )...
will just have to plough thru' it and keep everything crossed otherwise its finding a job that fits around, school, preschool and other halfs shifts ..!!!:eek:

manjay
28-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply.. Hmm thats seems to be the general experience :(
have just rung the local CSSIW office where I am going for briefing and asked how long on average does it take to get registered and she said about 3 months ( but she didn't sound very sure:) )...
will just have to plough thru' it and keep everything crossed otherwise its finding a job that fits around, school, preschool and other halfs shifts ..!!!:eek:

I would say go for it. You may be lucky! Which area of north Wales are you from?

amanda xx

twofishes
28-04-2008, 11:15 AM
in Flintshire on the border with Chester but come under Flintshire CSSIW

tulip0803
28-04-2008, 11:17 AM
You may be lucky and get it quicker:) . I have just rung CSSIW and they have had problems their end which has delayed my application:( . Nothing to do with me or my application:(

manjay
28-04-2008, 11:27 AM
in Flintshire on the border with Chester but come under Flintshire CSSIW

Me too!!

amanda xx

twofishes
28-04-2008, 11:30 AM
wow what a small,small world !!!! are you a childminder

manjay
28-04-2008, 11:35 AM
wow what a small,small world !!!! are you a childminder

I have pm'd you