PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted

handeme
06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I am due my first graded Ofsted inspection (although I have reason to believe they are running behind in my area :clapping:)

What is the best peice of advice you can give a newbie about your graded inspections?

c x

sarah707
06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Check everything is signed, dated, up to date, reviewed etc and filed logically so you can find it to show the inspector when your heart is racing and the children are playing up because there's a visitor in the house.

Keep the routines as close to normal as possible so the children are not confused.

Good luck! :D

VINASOL
06-05-2011, 11:25 AM
someone gave me this advice just before I was inspected too...make sure that children eat/drink at the table. be rigourous with washing hands before they eat anything...like Sarah says keep routine the same (its more stress for you too if you do anything different).

Keep calm and just be yourself....it's not as bad as you may think.

good luck:)

Penda Mbowe
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I am due my first graded Ofsted inspection (although I have reason to believe they are running behind in my area :clapping:)

What is the best peice of advice you can give a newbie about your graded inspections?

c x

Good luck

Am due for my first pre-reg on monday.

handeme
06-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I am just waiting for the call!?! One of the other local childminder has been due her inspection for 8 months and it still has not happened, so I may be waiting sometime.

Just out of interest, can anyone remember any questions they asked you??

I am a born worrier and want to be as prepared as I can.

c x

Andrea08
06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
good luck hun.... also take control of the visit she is the visitor in your setting, tell her the house rules...do you take your shoes off etc,

introduce inspector to the children in a friendly way
have a good detailed sef
atm hot on risk ass, safeguarding and hand washing,

fingers crossed you will be fine hun xx

handeme
06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks, I plan this weekend to be my SEF weekend !! :D

c x

VINASOL
06-05-2011, 05:30 PM
one thing I got downgraded on was not enough multi-cultural books and also books/toys on disabilities...i did explain that i foudn it difficult to find these items at a reasonable cost but also i must admit i didn't spend enough time researching and going to boot fairs.

inspector did spend a lot of time observing how i interacted with the kids, how the kids interacted with me and also came upstairs when children used toilet/washed hands etc.

i had all paperwork to hand, including welcome pack for parents, learnign journals, obs and things like that.

I actually rather enjoyed my inspection :eek:

miffy
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Don't do anything differently to what you usually do - children have a way of "dropping you in it" :rolleyes:

Be confident - you know what you're doing, you are a professional, the children are happy and so are their parents - so don't be afraid to tell the inspector this.

If there is anything you want to show the inspector make sure you point it out - don't just assume she will have seen it because you put it on the table!

Good luck - hope it goes well for you

Miffy xx

handeme
07-05-2011, 07:15 AM
thanks, would you offer them a drink/cup of tea or anything when they come in ??

c x

miffy
07-05-2011, 07:18 AM
thanks, would you offer them a drink/cup of tea or anything when they come in ??

c x

I'd check their ID and ask them to sign the visitor's book! :D

I have never offered them a drink/cup of tea and I don't have one myself whilst they're here but there's no hard or fast rule on it - if you want to offer then that's fine.

Miffy xx

SammyM
07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
They're not allowed a cuppa. My last inspector told me they could only have water, she really pushed the boat out and had some sparkling water from me!!!

handeme
08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Ha ha ha, i will get some in then.

It just always seems whoever visits you always offer them a cuppa (or well i did!) my pre-reg inspector had a cuppa.

c x

blue bear
08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
All mine have had drinks but then mine are usuallyyin winter, I remember offering one the safety mugs with a lid and she said oh no give me a proper mug! She was brill lots of common sense approach, really relaxed but on the ball.

Best advice I was given on here was to treat everyday as if an inspector is watching you, inspection day will be no different just carry on as normal.