PDA

View Full Version : Waterworks at TeaTime

SammyM
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
One of my reception class mindees without fail turns the tears on at every teatime, she is a REALLY slow eater and just nibbles everything. I used to make everyone wait for everyone to finish before pudding & then before leaving the table, but its just not practical.

She can literally take 45mins to eat a small bowl of pasta (I purposely give her small portions so as not to un nerve her!) And the boys are just hoovering their meals up so obviously want their puds and get on with playing.

Shes an only child and mom & dad really pander to her and baby her, she still has a comfort rag (which I've suggested is left at home), and I just get the feeling that its her way if getting out of eating her tea if the tears come out.

Any thoughts anyone???

Maza
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Even smaller portions and a reward chart? Talk to her about her favourite meals and get her to help plan the menu and prepare the meal?

Don't make the boys wait for her. She might feel pressure from them which stresses her out...

The Juggler
05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
what are the waterworks about hon, eating in general???

I think you are doing the right thing. dishing up what everyone's having, giving her a teeny portion of it so not to scare her. No pressure, she eats it or not. I would say give the boys/her x amount of time after they've finished their main then allow them to have puds. Give her a little longer to eat if she needs it they can sit and chat but say after x amount of time they can leave the table and you will clear away.

What about sitting with her and go through a cookbook and choose some thing(s) she likes (I do this with my 4 year old mindee to choose what we're going to make for our weekly cooking activity). Maybe if you choose something together and maybe make it together after school she will be happier?

ChocolateChip
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Is it that she doesn't want to eat in general, or because she will get something 'nicer' from mum and dad when she gets home? ( meaning no offense to your cooking hun!)
Think the response depends on what the problem is, could you have a quiet word with the parents to get their views on it, and what actually does happen at home?

Flisspaps
06-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Does she understand why she gets less? I'm sure you've explained to her but we all know that LOs don't always understand why adults do things!

Otherwise, maybe she's just not that hungry at teatime so doesn't fancy eating?