PDA

View Full Version : Very annoyed with a parent

kel1983
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry just have to have a moan :angry:

I didnt have any children booked in for today so was going to go and do the tesco shop. Well yesterday one of my mums asked if I would have her LO 10-4 while she has driving lessons etc. I said yes but would have to take LO with me to tesco which she said was fine.

Well at 10am this morning got a text to say she would prob drop her off about 11 instead as they were only just getting up :angry:

Thats my day ruined. I am not happy.

I'm not going to knock an hour off her invoice so I hope she doesnt ask. She also booked me for tomorrow but then got home last night and text me to say a friend was having her instead. :angry:

I think I need to stop being so nice.

Does anyone else have this problem with parents? How do you deal with them?

marnieb
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
yes, you are being too nice!!!!

As you were doing it as a favour to mum, I would have replied saying it was after 10 so you were going shopping as you have no food in to feed mindees!!

It takes a bad parent to make you realise you're being too nice. I used to have mindee T 4 days a week, bent over backwards to accomodate dr's apps. Mindee was ill a lot with ear infections, and mum told me she was getting into trouble with work as she was taking so much time off, so I said T could come on her day off if she missed a day earlier in the week, no extra charge, so mum could catch up with work. After a few weeks found out mum was using the extra day to do things for herself, nothing to do with work at all!!!!

Sorry, bit of a tangent there!!!

But yes, the short stick is that you need to be tough, charge her the full amount, and if she asks why, tell her its the hours she asked for, and that you turned away other work to accomodate her (she'll never know), and make it clear that you expect payment asap. If possible, get it upfront next time.

donnamarie2
05-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi , I tell parents when they sign contracts that all booked hours must be paid for regardless of if they have used them or not and its in the contract, so because they are paid for in advance the only time i refund is if im off ill or cant work for any reason.
I do a school drop off and pick up everyday there contracted hours are 7-9 then 4.00 till 7 , they collect anytime from 6.15 - 6.30 and often text the night before to say they are going in to work late or working from home so dont need me , they have never asked for a refund or anything as they knew the score from the beginning.
If this is the way you work and the parent knows this i wouldn't even mention anything about a refund.

Pipsqueak
05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Too nice... think I would be texting parent back and explaining that this was your day off, it was a favour in having her child and that you find her attitude rather inconsiderate.

With that I would have gone out and if they REALLY needed you they could have come to find you

rickysmiths
05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
At that point I would have said sorry I have to go out at 10, I was doing you a favour and can't change my plans, see you tomorrow. I would also charge them for the time they booked and choose not to use. I would not have a parent chashing after me to find me on my day off. :eek:

kel1983
05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Well they eventually turned up at 12 :angry:

Mum said to me "I havent ruined your plans for today have I" to which I replied " I had planned to go to Tesco". From the face she made she had relised she had messed me around today. She remembered I had told her. She was very apologetic and said that she will still ay me for the time we first agreed.

After about 10 minutes I had a phone call from her being even more apologetic. I hope this will sort her out with timing.

Unfortunately I only mind 2 children at the moment so really need the extra hours for the money. I cant wait for the day when I can say No to her :thumbsup: and then see how she feels.

caz3007
05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Its sounds like she realised she was out of order and hope she wont do it again. Hopefully she will appreciate the fact that you do extras on the spur of the moment and wont take you for granted.