PDA

View Full Version : NCMA - Get something right!

Donkey
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I sent them an email in the middle of the easter break and I had a phone call from a manager who shall re-name nameless :rolleyes:

I was surprised that it was this person who called me back and the information that they provided was good.

more details to follow....

bexcee
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Sounds intriguing... but you can't leave it like that ;)

Donkey
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I can and I did... :D
I enquired about self built climbing equipment
I called them and was told it was not covered... so sent a lengthy email asking what is and is not covered...
this is what I got back...

Following our recent conversation I can confirm the following:

As with any outdoor or physical activity, there are risks involved and it is necessary to conduct a thorough risk assessment, follow guidelines provided by professionals and ensure that the child's safety is monitored closely 100% of the time. Providing these are all adhered to then the public liability insurance policy that NCMA can offer would respond to claims on the activities mentioned below.

the email I sent to them.....

Where do I stand on the following please?

Allowing children under 3 years of age who I have assessed to be competent and developmentally ready to use toys and resources that the manufacturers have given the guidance should only be used by those over 3

Allowing the children or myself to build walk ways using large blocks, milk crates and planks

Allowing children to climb trees

Utilising my forest schools training and using ropes to construct walkways

Using my forest schools training to build a campfire

Allowing children of 3 and 4 to use a flint and steel to create sparks

Allowing children of 3 and 4 to use a potato peeler to whittle sticks and once competent allowing children of 3 and 4 to use a knife to whittle sticks

Allowing a child of 2.5 to use a trampet that states is for 3 years plus

purchasing used equipment such as large play equipment, prams, travel cots (how can we be 100% sure that they have been maintained according to manufacturers guidelines)

purchasing large play equipment that comes flat packed and assembling it ourselves (all large play equipment has some element of self assembly, how confident are you in our abilities to assemble this according to manufacturers guidelines and then insure us on this basis)

now I am not advocating this as saying were covered lets go wild... on the phone conversation he advised some areas were a bit more risky than others... i.e tree climbing and flint and steel, so advised we could be found negligent if we let a child climb 30ft.

so if your going to build anything get it in writing from your insurers before you start construction that you will be covered for its use..

Carol M
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Yay :clapping:
Well done Joy.
The world has not gone mad according to NCMA then:)
C arol xx

miffy
04-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted so you can use your lovely climbing frame.

Now............................................... .................. can you make me one? :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Donkey
05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
still can't use it as I am with mm

just waiting for mm to find out, spoke with them again yesterday and they will chase with the underwriter

:)